WnSoft Forums

Nikon D4s

davegee

I wonder why they are staying with Compact Flash rather than Secure Digital cards? I think staying with the D4 resolution was probably warranted. Higher pixel count is really not needed for the vast majority of what sports and action photographers do and the magazines, newspapers, etc., they do work for. Sufficiently large prints can be made from a 16 mp sensor to handle it very well. Famous fashion photographer Melvin Sokolsky told me that he used the 4 megapixel Canon 1D to do double truck fashion pages for numerous major magazines for several years. I have some nice 16x24 prints from my own Canon 1D - can't tell much difference at that size from prints from my Nikon D5300 so I guess the resolution trade-off for greater burst capacity and frame rate is warranted. It sure looks like a jewel of a camera. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to pay those high prices again. My first six megapixel dSLR was a Kodak DCS 460 which cost me a bit over $30,000 in late 1995. It actually paid for itself and I sold it for only a couple K less than I paid. My next "expensive" camera was my Canon 1DS (eleven megapixel) which I paid a tad over $8000 for. The progress with image quality and resolution has come a long way since then - nearly doubled the resolution with the new 36 megapixel Sony and Nikon D800(E). The soon to be released Sigma D2Quattro will have the equivalent of 39 megapixel resolution (equated to a CFA sensor) so even the crop factor sensors are getting very close to the lower medium format (Leica S2/Pentax 645D) resolutions.

I wonder what the main differences are between the D4s and D4? I suppose what they mentioned at the beginning of the article, but they didn't specifically stipulate that they were comparing against the D4 - but it was implied....

Lin