WnSoft Forums

Slideshow Crashes [SOLVED]

Paulc

Hi - first time poster here but long time user.

I have created a slideshow on 6.5 - 444 images with only a simple fade transition.

It works fine but i get a file not found error after image 141 and the rest have vanished. However they are in the original workflow with the correct file names etc so i am at a loss as to why this might be happening. The images are jpg but of a large size so is there a limit to the size of executable file it can create?

any suggestions much appreciated

Guest Yachtsman1

Not sure about 6.5 but 5.5 was = What is the largest size that the generated EXE file can be?
The resulting EXE file cannot be larger than 2100 MB (2 GB).

Yachtsman1.

Hi Paul,

The issue isn't with PTE, it's a limitation of 32 bit software in general. Right now, PTE is 32 bit software as are the majority of software programs on the market. As more 64 bit systems become available, software will eventually gravitate toward being rewritten for 64 bit advantages, but this is not on the immediate horizon. As long as there are a large number of 32 bit computers in operation, a show built to exeed 32 bit limits would not play on them.

There is zero advantage in using images larger than the screen resolution they will be played on with one exception explained below. Today, the average computer display is HD resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio which works out to 1920x1024 pixels. The upper end resolution displays are generally 2560x1600 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio. There are a few 3840x2160 pixel displays being offered (16:9 aspect ratio). So you need to decide what your viewing audience will be using and build your shows with the appropriate pixel dimensions. The only time you will ever need to use larger images than the display resolution of the intended audience is when you have deep zooms. In the few cases where this is happening, use your full resolution images, but make the rest of nominal display resolution and you should have no problems exceeding the two gigabyte executable limitations for 32 bit software.

Best regards,

Lin

Last wek I attended a videoshow presentation by Martin Engelmenn (http://www.martin-engelmann.at/)%C2'>

The show was very interesting and with lot of videos and timelapses.

He told me that the total volume of the file was over 8 GB and it was produced with the system called Wings by Stumpf from Austria.

He also said that he will need to spend a lot of time dedicated to squeeze the project in order to fit into a DVD for sale.

Saluti

Claudio

Claudio,

The limitation has nothing to do with Wings Platinum or PTE or other software and it only applies to "executable" files in a 32 bit system, not to videos. A video made with PTE could be much larger in size and still play normally. Executable code is quite different than video.

Perhaps if you read this it will help understanding why the 2 gigabyte limit on executable code within a 32 bit system...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

Best regards,

Lin

Hi JT,

I would assume from Claudio's statement that the production in question made with Wings was a video:

"Last week I attended a videoshow presentation by Martin Engelmenn"

A video show made with PTE could also be much larger than 2 gigabytes. There seems to be no practical limits on the sizes of video's played with a 32 bit system. BluRay's larger than 25 gigabytes can be played on my little portable BluRay burner on my old XP system without a hiccup..

It's easy enough to do something similar with PTE. For example you could run an external program and return. Many years ago I used to create videos and run them with PTE this way. I would load Irfanview and the video on external media such as DVD or CD and use the run external code command to run irfanview. The simple dos command run i_view32 videofilename plus extension would open and run the video then return seamlessly to the exe file. This then bypasses the 32 bit limitation nicely and is probably essentially what Wings is doing only they own and wrote the code for their video player being called.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

thanks for the reply - so 2 gb it is then. Will have to resize images to suit.

Howver at no point did i get a warning that it would not work - only found out when giving presentation. I did look at the file created and looked through the show but only up to a point. (my mistake but when it works for a third of the show you sort of assume the rest is ok as well)

Hi Paul,

I'm assuming that this is the case with your individual show and not something else such as a corrupted image, etc. If you look at the size of the exe file is it larger than two gigabytes? If not, then you may have a corrupted image file which could also cause everything after to not display. There have even been cases of background music causing issues with playback failing at some point.

The first thing to do is look at the file size. If it's greater than two gigabytes, then that is most likely the issue. If the file size is less than two gigabytes, try removing all audio, create the exe and see if it plays. If it doesn't play, then it's likely a corrupted jpg, etc., and it's likely the one immediately after where the images ceased to play. If it "does" play, then it's likely a bad audio causing the problem. The solution is usually to run all audio through an audio editor such as Audacity and export which standardizes the format and usually solves the problem.

Best regards,

Lin

... I would assume from Claudio's statement that the production in question made with Wings was a video: "Last week I attended a videoshow presentation by Martin Engelmenn" ...

Hi Lin,

I have no idea what kind of file Martin Engelmann may have used in this particular case. He a is an Austrian photo professional who gives live presentations. This kind of artists typicalls does not use videos, but presentation tools with an appropriate speaker support, in order to have an interactive presentation. Nevertheless, it is a fact that Wings normally places videos outside the exe-file. I tried to do the same with PTE by using the two files Internet version of the PTE exe presentation by inserting two videos of total size of 3 GB. This method failed. The final result showed missing images.

Best regards,

jt

Hi JT,

Yes, that won't work. The way to do it via work-around is to call IrfanView or similar program which will run videos with the appropiate syntax:

I_view32 myfile.avi (where "myfile.avi" represents the name and proper extension of the video being called)

This requires the irfanview exe and the irfanview plugin folder to be resident on the media and folder which is called. This should be called via the "Run Application or Open File" feature.

LATER: Interestingly - my syntax doesn't work with the latest PTE. It still works fine from the command line. I can open IrfanView but not open with the video loaded. I'll look into the changes in either PTE or Irfanview and get back.....

Best regards,

Lin

"...A video show made with PTE could also be much larger than 2 gigabytes. "

Lin

Lin,

When you say 'A video show made with PTE...', are you referring to an .exe or .avi or mp4 or just any output from PTE? Just not sure if you are being specific in the type of output or in general when you say 'video'. Is the 'exe' considered a 'video'?

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, I'm being very specific. The exe is not considered a "video." When PTE outputs an MP4 or AVI version of your slideshow, it can be much larger than two gigabytes because the same issues do not constrain video files as executable files with 32 bit operating systems. You can play a BluRay disc video on your 32 bit system which could be as large as 50 gigabytes without issue. On the other hand an exe file of over 2 gigabytes will generally not play properly if it plays at all.

Best regards,

Lin

Kind of off topic but PTE also allows you to link your videos without using an external video player. I played a 4.5 GB mpeg-2 video without difficulty. I have not tried MP4 videos. Wish I had more time to play with this stuff.

Tom

post-2058-0-22328500-1395691451_thumb.pn