WnSoft Forums

Converting Analog VHSC Video Tapes to Digital Video

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I have a number of VHSC tapes that I wish to convert to digital video images. In the past I had an analog VHS recorder & some software that I was able to connect the recorder to a PC & create DVD discs, then strip the recordings from the DVDs. The VHS recorder has long gone so I have bought an old Panasonic NV-S5B VHSC camcorder from Ebay & thought I would connct it to my Panasonic DMR EX78 digital recorder via an AV lead. While checking the digital recoder I found a USB socket which I have never used, (it's under a flap on the front which also has the AV sockets). Has anyone tried to record from a pre-recorded VHSC tape camera source to a USB memory stick in a digital recorder?

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I think I had one of those when I produced the DVD's. I'm assuming there must be something in my digital recorder to do that as there are RCA input sockets? There is also a USB to RCA conversion lead available on Ebay, but that says it isn't suitable for what I want. I've also downloaded some software called Golden Video, but haven't read up on it yet.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/index.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220885988041?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The camera won't arrive for a few days, but that comes with an RF adapter to connect it direct to a TV via the aerial socket. Will report back when I've tried my options

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

Hi Eric,

I suspected that might be the case. The device you ordered functions as the analog to digital converter and should do the job nicely.

Best regards,

Lin

Had another read up & my DVD recorder only accepts DV input, so I've ordered one of these to hopefully ease the process.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-VGB100-External-Video-Editing/dp/B008F0SARC/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1397459759&sr=1-1&keywords=August+VGB100+External+Video+Editing+Card

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I read up on the feedback & in the main it is OK, only the usual knockers without the patience to follow the "destructions", now I wonder who that could be? :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just a quick up-date on this thread in case anyone is following it, unfortunately the sub £20 Panasonic VHSC camcorder I bought from Ebay had optical noise problems, so I got a refund & am now looking at a scart to RCA composite lead to connect the video capture devise that has now arrived, to my PC. Just waiting for the manufacturer to confirm it is suitable. The scart is to connect into a Panasonic video recorder loaned by a neighbour.

Yachtsman1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181255756693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Guest Yachtsman1

I've just received the scart to RCA conversion lead, connected it to the borrowed video recorder, connected the USB to composite conversion lead to the PC & conversion lead. Started the August software, played around with a few settings & eventually got the audio from the tape. Eventually after almost losing the will to live I found the video also. I have now captured around an hour of lost video from 1995.

Will do a final post with some pics of the set up later.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I now have 6+ hours of captured video digitised, just some early model flying to do & that is it. The hook up I used is in the pictures & the hardware described in earlier posts.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-83272300-1398454800_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-01641000-1398454813_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-69285400-1398454824_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-33543900-1398454836_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

To finish this one off, I have now made a couple of AV shows using the digitised video from the tapes. They are of absolutely no interest to merit them being advertised on here & too big to upload to any of the free hosting sites. As I was making them I decided a further tutorial was worth making on how I edited the video audio. It has been uploaded to YouTube & the link posted on my PTE Group Flickr account. The link is https://www.flickr.com/groups/2102984@N25/discuss/72157644065501100/

If you follow my tutorial, please be aware I omitted to mention at the end to mute the original video audio in project options.

Yachtsman1.