WnSoft Forums

Change in Conversion / Editing

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I invariably add one or more video clips to my shows, yesterday we took a trip to Liverpool & shot several video clips. Last night after transferring our shots to a folder for a show, I tried to edit one of the clips in PTE where some idiot stepped in front of the camera as I was shooting a train sequence. This happened 4 seconds into the clip, so after cutting the good section, I went back to the main clip to cut out the the blooper, after doing this I went back to the slide list & couldn't find two converted clips, only the second one. To cut this short, it appears that now, if a converted clip isn't re-named it is overwritten by the next conversion/edit of that clip. Previously PTE added the word "converted" multiple times. Whether this is an "8" change or not, I'm not sure as the clips I've edited in "8" I have re-named. Maybe this action should be mentioned in the on-line Video help section?

Yachtsman1

PS I've bolded the bullet points to cut through my prattling.

Eric,

I tested in PicturesToExe 8 and 7.5. In both versions the converted file contains word ".converted.avi". If you convert original video file again, PicturesToExe automatically replaces the previously converted file. No multiple words ".converted".

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

I tested in PicturesToExe 8 and 7.5. In both versions the converted file contains word ".converted.avi". If you convert original video file again, PicturesToExe automatically replaces the previously converted file. No multiple words ".converted".

Hi Igor

I never used 7.5, I went from 7.07 to 8, which worked as I described, in fact at the time 7.07 was issued I mentioned the multiple names in suggestions for the future, as it was confusing & didn't differentiate which clip was which. I don't have a problem with the way it works now, but I think something should be added to the video section of the on-line help to the effect that extracting multiple clips from a master clip, each needs its own name/reference or the converted clip will be overwritten if another clip is produced.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

As an alternative to Eric's suggested solution, perhaps the converted file's name could include the date and timestamp? This would guarantee that every converted file had a unique filename and would thus eliminate all "overwriting of previous version" activity.

regards,

Peter

Igor,

If you convert a file with the name:

DSC0025.converted.avi

...its name becomes:

DSC0025.converted.converted.avi

If you start from DSC0025.avi and do a second conversion then it is your responsibility to rename:

DSC0025a.converted.avi.

You do this by clicking on the dropdown to the right and renaming there, thus avoiding the over-write.

This was well documented some time ago.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

This was well documented some time ago.

DG

But it isn't mentioned in the current help file? Which means relying on memory for current users & a mystery for new users.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-20195400-1397742476_thumb.jp

All (?) software packages give a warning when you are about to over-write a file.

In this case, PTE does not give a warning when you are about to over-write a file.

Therefore I am assuming that it is a BUG until told differently by Igor. I am also assuming that, although it was well publicised, Igor failed to pick it up OR is unable to do anything about it. I await his response.

The Online Help File is there to tell you about the software and not about how to circumvent its Bugs?

DG

P.S. My comments in Post #7 were designed to help Igor understand the problem a little better. That's why I started the post with "Igor,............."