WnSoft Forums

DROPBOX Download Counter.

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

One slight annoyance with Dropbox was the inability to see how many downloads your show had. I posted a query some time ago on their forum & received an answer I didn't understand. Now I just had an email from them that they have come up with another solution, it's an app to download that logs the times your show is downloaded. You can find it here, but you need a Dropbox account (unpaid for the standard app)'. https://dropbox.orangedox.com

Yachtsman1.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Yachtsman1 .. thanks for your post on Orangedox for Dropbox. As the founder of Orangedox for Dropbox it's great to see how many applications it's being used for.

I also noticed that in your post you mentioned that you had an "email from them" who recommended that you use our app. I was wondering who "them" was? Was it someone directly from Dropbox? and if so we would love to know who it was!

Thanks again

Cheers,

Chad Brown

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Yachtsman1 .. thanks for your post on Orangedox for Dropbox. As the founder of Orangedox for Dropbox it's great to see how many applications it's being used for.
I also noticed that in your post you mentioned that you had an "email from them" who recommended that you use our app. I was wondering who "them" was? Was it someone directly from Dropbox? and if so we would love to know who it was!
Thanks again
Cheers,
Chad Brown

Hi Chad

This is a copy of the email I received.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

You've connected a new app, 'Orangedox', to your Dropbox. Awesome!

You can check on this and any other apps you've added by visiting your (ACCOUNT PAGE)

Happy Dropboxing!

- The Dropbox Team

PS I deleted the link for obvious reasons.

One slight annoyance with Dropbox was the inability to see how many downloads your show had. I posted a query some time ago on their forum & received an answer I didn't understand. Now I just had an email from them that they have come up with another solution, it's an app to download that logs the times your show is downloaded. You can find it here, but you need a Dropbox account (unpaid for the standard app)'. https://dropbox.orangedox.com

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

I have been trying to get this Orangedox to work but I can not. I have followed their instructions but I do not get any statistics to show. I have copied/pasted their link and sent it to myself. At first I was able to download the file from Orangedox but no statistics are shown. Now, I get a 404 error...can not find the file. Is it still working for you? What's the secret to make it work???

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

I have been trying to get this Orangedox to work but I can not. I have followed their instructions but I do not get any statistics to show. I have copied/pasted their link and sent it to myself. At first I was able to download the file from Orangedox but no statistics are shown. Now, I get a 404 error...can not find the file. Is it still working for you? What's the secret to make it work???

Gary

Hi Gary

Did you get as far as opening Orangedox & seeing your uploaded files listed? It took me a couple of goes to make it work, it isn't retrospective, you need someone to download a show from an Orangedox link, not a Dropbox link & the stat shows as a number to the right of the title of your show in Orangedox. Ken downloaded the link I posted & after he had downloaded my show a number 1 appeared. It isn't very user friendly I'm afraid.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Gary

Did you get as far as opening Orangedox & seeing your uploaded files listed? It took me a couple of goes to make it work, it isn't retrospective, you need someone to download a show from an Orangedox link, not a Dropbox link & the stat shows as a number to the right of the title of your show in Orangedox. Ken downloaded the link I posted & after he had downloaded my show a number 1 appeared. It isn't very user friendly I'm afraid.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

I just tried it again and I got it to work. The problem was that I never filled in the 'Share Link Reference Title'. I sent the link to myself and downloaded the linked file. The statistics show that it was downloaded. Got it... But the strange thing I've noticed is that, if the link is long, the last part does not get into the active link portion. But it still seems to work, but very slow downloads.

Thanks...

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

Glad it worked for you, haven't tried to download anything myself, unless they improve it I won't use it.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hey Eric & Gary,

Figured I would chime in here as I see that you've been having issues with Orangedox for Dropbox.

Eric: would love to know what kind of improvements that you're looking for, we are always looking to make the product easier to use.

Gary: when you mentioned that you were having slow download issues are you referring to the file being loaded from Dropbox OR the dropbox link (db.orangedox.com/...) opening your Dropbox file? Also it sounds like the link creation was confusing, which part did you get held up on?

Thanks in advance!

Chad

Hey Eric & Gary,

Figured I would chime in here as I see that you've been having issues with Orangedox for Dropbox.

Eric: would love to know what kind of improvements that you're looking for, we are always looking to make the product easier to use.

Gary: when you mentioned that you were having slow download issues are you referring to the file being loaded from Dropbox OR the dropbox link (db.orangedox.com/...) opening your Dropbox file? Also it sounds like the link creation was confusing, which part did you get held up on?

Thanks in advance!

Chad

Greetings Chad,

Re: Slow download--I am talking about when I downloaded the file from the OrangeDox link that I sent to myself. I sent a large file to myself and downloaded it and it seemed to take a very long time.

Re: Confusion. The box where it wants the 'Share Link Reference Title (eg Website Link)'. That is not intuitive as to what you want or that it is needed. Ultimately, I stuck in the file title and got it to work. The 'Website Link' portion really threw me. Still don't know what it would mean.

Also, it would be nice if we had the ability to copy the link to the clipboard, instead of having to highlight it and then do a Ctrl-C.

And, I notice that the last part of a long filename does not get into the link. It seems to still work, but it adds confusion.

See attachments.

Gary

post-1794-0-28313900-1399343753_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-37298800-1399343754_thumb.jp

Hi Gary

Glad it worked for you, haven't tried to download anything myself, unless they improve it I won't use it.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

Chad, from OrangeDox, apparently listened to some of my suggestions and is making some changes to make it more intuitive. You might want to check it out.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

I will give it a try next time I have something to upload. Off on holiday at the end of the month, hopefully we will come back with enough material for a couple of shows.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

The plot thickens, just received this.

"Hi Eric,

Dropbox recently announced a security vulnerability found in web share links for documents with embedded hyperlinks; in response to this vulnerability they have disabled these links.

As a valued Orangedox for Dropbox user, we wanted to inform you that some Orangedox links may have been affected. We highly recommend that you take a few minutes to ensure your Orangedox links are not tied to a link which has been disabled by Dropbox.

For more information, including how to rectify the issue, please see our blog post

Yachtsman1