WnSoft Forums

XP Users beware!!!

Guest Yachtsman1

Hello Eric,

The security flaw is in fact not with XP per se, but with Internet Explorer. This browser has always been suspect from a security point of view, which is why many use alternative browsers like FireFox, or latterly Chrome.

Personally I use Opera. Although apparently with a market penetration of only about 2%, I think it's one of the best browsers out there, a clean GUI and very fast.

XP itself is not affected by IE's problems, and continues to be a viable OS, especially with a good anti-viral program installed, like malwarebytes.

The most likely problems to arise with XP are upgrades to existing programs which will no longer cater for XP, like DxO Optics' Viewpoint program, version 1 runs happily on XP, version 2 requires Vista or later. This was the tipping point which forced me to go to Win 7 on my desktop - but my lappy remains on XP.

Regards,

Colin

I see that Microsoft have released a patch for IE that is available even for XP, such is the severity of the hole in IE. If you need any proof of the need to use a different browser, this is it. I use Opera almost exclusively, only going to Firefox if opera has trouble with a website - which isn't often.