WnSoft Forums

Is Antivirus Software Dead?

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

About 10 years ago I wrote a small windows program that killed processes if the PID path was inside your profile directory (unless you allowed it). I think it stopped a lot of unwanted apps from running/installing. Not sure why Symantec is giving up but I never really liked their AV products.

Now I use the default Windows 8 AV + Malwarebytes Pro 2. I really like mwbp 2 because it blocks bad websites you surf + incoming IP intrusions (I run a web server for my security cameras).

An ounce/gram of prevention is worth a pound/kg of cure.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

I agree, I had Norton in my early days, it was a pig. I very rarely go where angels fear to tread nowadays. :rolleyes:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Symantec was really stubborn even after I pointed out to their vice president of engineering a few years ago that there were software packages with serious markets such those products produced by Wnsoft, Photodex, AV Stumpfl, etc., which created executable code as a product in refusing to deal with fixing the Norton false positives. They had the audacity to suggest putting each executable into a folder excluded from testing by Norton. It took a long, long time for them to fix their over zealous detection scheme so that it wasn't flagging our executable files as threats and actually deleting them! Numerous calls finalliy resulted in success but the damage returned as quickly as it was "fixed." When developers are simply pig headed about refusing to work with other companies, it's time for affected users to drop their products like a hot potato. I suggested to all my clients that they seriously consider other anti-malware products. Personally, I wouldn't touch Norton Utilities myself. It had a good reputation until Peter sold it to Symantec then, over the years, it became the problem in my opinion.

Best regards,

Lin