WnSoft Forums

Why I hate to update. File List is not retained.

goddi

Greetings,

I have brought this up before. The last time, I think, was back in December 2013.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17187-folder-in-file-list-and-project/?hl=%2Bfile+%2Blist

But I will bring it up once more. I just upgraded my PTE version from 8.03 to 8.04. After doing this, and then opening an already saved PTE show, the File List does not keep the previously associated location of the images used in the show. It seems to retain whatever the previous File List was for whatever show was recently opened.

So I have to do a hunt and peck to re-establish the images used in the show to be in the File List. This holds true for each and every previous show I have made. This is aggravating to have to do this for every show. Once the proper location is found and the show is saved, the File List is properly retained.

Why does a simple upgrade of a version lose the proper association of the File List for the shows?

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

I did the same as you from 3 to 4, I open PTE from an icon on my desk top, & as you say, after installation, clicking that icon opens the last show I worked on. I don't have a problem with that, I file my images for each show in a separate folder, & file those folders in a master PTE folder. The screen shot image attached was produced using Elements, when I opened Elements, it had retained the settings I had last used, it's logical to me.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-70639800-1399615594_thumb.jp

Why does a simple upgrade of a version lose the proper association of the File List for the shows?

Hi Gary,

It doesn't! Let me amplify that statement.

When you posted I had not yet installed v8.0.4. I was therefore able to do some pre-install and post-install checks. Using v8.0.3, I opened each of the last three projects that I had worked on. I did this by navigating to each of the folders in Windows Explorer and double-clicking on the PTE project file (.pte). All three opened up in PTE with the correct Images sub-folder selected in the Tree structure, and the contents of that sub-folder showing in the File List panel. I made no changes to these projects and did not save the project files again; simply opened, looked, closed.

I then closed down PTE and installed v8.0.4. I made no changes to any of the options offered me by the Install Wizard.

When I clicked on Finish at the end of the install, the Launch PTE box was pre-selected, so PTE was launched for me. It opened into the last of the three projects that I had checked prior to the install. The Tree Structure was positioned to the correct Images folder and the File List panel was showing the contents of that Images folder. Everything was as it should be. I then used the "Open an existing project" icon on the PTE toolbar to open each of the other two sequences that I had previously checked. Everything worked exactly as I expected and exactly as you want it to. I went on to open a couple of projects from further down the list of recent projects, ones that I had not checked prior to the install. These, too, were OK.

It works on my system but not on yours. That suggests to me that the root cause of your problem probably lies outside PTE rather than with PTE itself.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Normally this problem should not occur when you install updated version 8.0.4 over 8.0.x.

Since version 8.0 the information about selected folders for projects is stored in a special location:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\PicturesToExe\ProjectsExtraData\

This problem might occur in two cases:

A. if you uninstalled previous version 8.0.3 and there were no other installed versions of PicturesToExe. In this case the uninstaller removes all information related with settings of PicturesToExe.

B. You moved project files to another locations.

Gary,

Normally this problem should not occur when you install updated version 8.0.4 over 8.0.x.

Since version 8.0 the information about selected folders for projects is stored in a special location:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\PicturesToExe\ProjectsExtraData\

This problem might occur in two cases:

A. if you uninstalled previous version 8.0.3 and there were no other installed versions of PicturesToExe. In this case the uninstaller removes all information related with settings of PicturesToExe.

B. You moved project files to another locations.

Igor,

Thanks for indicating the 'special location' where the FileListPath information is stored for the PTE projects.

First, I did not uninstall the previous version 8.0.3. I installed 8.0.4 over that version.

Second, I did not move any project files to another location.

So, I took a look at the 'special location' you mentioned. I found an example of a show that would fill the File List with the incorrect images, i.e., images from a different show. I then found .dat file in the 'special location' that relates to this show.

The correct FileListPath for this show is shown in the '121.dat' file but the correct images do not show up in the File List when I open the show.

In the attached screenshot, the correct filename for the show is 'PTE-Costa Rica-Tortuguero' but the File List pulls up the images for another show called 'PTE-Fox-Michelle'.

Can you see what might be going on here? This problem has been happening each time I do an update.

Thanks... Gary

ADDED LATER: I just when through the same procedure on my laptop and it also displays the same problem.

post-1794-0-76209600-1399645790_thumb.jp

I think that I am getting the same as Gary?

If the Project that I open is the last saved then the File List association is kept.

However, if I open a previously save Project then the File List is stuck on the Last Saved Project's File List.

DG

I think that I am getting the same as Gary?

If the Project that I open is the last saved then the File List association is kept.

However, if I open a previously save Project then the File List is stuck on the Last Saved Project's File List.

DG

Thanks,Dave. So now it is just two of us.

I went back to the 'special location' and found 2 .dat files that has a reference to the Tortuguero pte show. But, one shows the path to the actual Tourtugero.pte file and the other shows the path to only the folder that contains the Tortuguero .pte file (\PTE-Costa Rica-Tortugero\).

The .dat file that has the path to the Tortuguero.pte file, also has incorrect FileListPath to the 'PTE-Fox-Michelle' folder that contains the images that are not associated with the Tortuguero show.

I don't know how to interpret these different .dat files, but perhaps this might help Igor or someone figure out what is going on.

Thanks... Gary

post-1794-0-21298400-1399649900_thumb.jp

I have had a deeper look at the special files on my system. There are 86 such files. Is such a high number normal? Some files have only one PTE project file listed, some have 2, some have 3 and at least one of them has 4 different PTE project files listed in it. Is this normal? Oh yes, and two files have nothing in them at all. Is this normal? One more thing, although there are 86 files in the folder, the highest number assigned is 124, so there are lots of gaps in the number sequence. Is this normal?

Perhaps there may be some further clues in there for Igor and his team as they diagnose this problem.

regards,

Peter

Can someone give a definitive answer?

Is what Gary and I are seeing correct or not? I am seeing the same thing on both Laptop and Desktop machines - Vista and W7. 8.0.3 and 8.0.4.

Am I supposed to be seeing something different - does anyone else see anything different? :)

DG

I have had a deeper look at the special files on my system. There are 86 such files. Is such a high number normal? Some files have only one PTE project file listed, some have 2, some have 3 and at least one of them has 4 different PTE project files listed in it. Is this normal? Oh yes, and two files have nothing in them at all. Is this normal? One more thing, although there are 86 files in the folder, the highest number assigned is 124, so there are lots of gaps in the number sequence. Is this normal?

Perhaps there may be some further clues in there for Igor and his team as they diagnose this problem.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I have a similar mix of files. I have 41 .dat files, ranging from 0.dat to 125.dat. One is empty. Many have multiple projects listed that are not related to each other.

Dave, I have Windows 8.1 on both my desktop and laptop, both with PTE ver. 8.0.4.

Strange.

Gary

Gary,

Dave,

Please can you give me step by step instruction how I can reproduce this problem?

I tried the following:

1. Run PTE 8. I see ProjectA with "MyFolder1" selected in the File list/tree.

2. I change another folder ("MyFolder2") in the File tree.

3. Close PTE 8.

4. Run PTE 8.

5. I see ProjectA with "MyFolder2" selected in the File list/tree.

Everything is OK here.

P.S. Please describe each step even minor actions.

Igor,

With "Open last Project" in Preferences ticked.

1. Start PTE and it opens with the last Project. (Project A)

2. Go to File / Open and Browse to a different Project. (Project B )

3. Project B opens but the File List shows Project A Files.

Should each new Project loaded via File / Open show the related Image Files?

My Project .pte and my Project Images, Audio Files etc are all saved in the same folder. I would like to see the File List show the contents of the Folder containing the .pte file when it is opened.

I cannot speak for Gary.

DG

P.S. Have you noticed that if you put "Project B" in Brackets it comes out as (Project B)

Gary,

Dave,

Please can you give me step by step instruction how I can reproduce this problem?

I tried the following:

1. Run PTE 8. I see ProjectA with "MyFolder1" selected in the File list/tree.

2. I change another folder ("MyFolder2") in the File tree.

3. Close PTE 8.

4. Run PTE 8.

5. I see ProjectA with "MyFolder2" selected in the File list/tree.

Everything is OK here.

P.S. Please describe each step even minor actions.

Igor,

I followed your steps above. PTE will retain the File List/Tree whenever I change the 'file/folder' location in the File List. The problem is that after I have upgraded to a new version, ie 8.03 to 8.04, the File List/Tree does not retain the previously correct files/folders in the File List/Tree that previously matched the show. After upgrading, the File List will keep the files/folders that is there from another project and does not change, even if you open other projects. This happens with Open Recent Project or Open. So I have to 'reset' the associated file/folder location each time. Once I do that, the proper file/folder locations does stay correct...until I update PTE again. So each time I open an old project after an upgrade, the File List for each project is incorrect until I reset it. Let me know if there is any other test you want me to do.

As Dave mentioned, I, too, keep my pte, images and music files in the same folder for each project. Not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, though.

Gary

Gary,

When you install the updated version (e.g. v8.0.4. over v8.0.3) does PTE remember other settings? Configuration of toolbars, size of file tree, slide list, etc?

Dave,

Thanks for testing!

To show some specific combination of symbols correctly you need to turn off "Enable emoticons?" option in the Full Editor of your reply.

Example:

(Project B)

Gary,

When you install the updated version (e.g. v8.0.4. over v8.0.3) does PTE remember other settings? Configuration of toolbars, size of file tree, slide list, etc?

Igor,

Yes, it does. I don't see any other problem except for the correct File List not being retained.

Gary

Gary,

I did the following test:

1. I have installed PTE 8.0.4

2. There are several projects with selected folders in the File tree.

3. I re-installed PTE 8.0.4

4. All folders are remembered for each projects in the File tree.

Igor,

Open PTE.

Turn the File Tree Off?

Open a Project via File / Open (Project A )

Do the File List Images change to the correct new images for Project A Folder?

Open a Project via File / Open (Project B )

Do the File List Images change to the correct new images for Project B Folder?

DG

I hesitate just a little to add my comments to this topic because the three of you have a dialogue going that is being driven in a controlled manner by Igor.

I am running v8.0.4 and have 10 projects in the "recent projects" list. Nine of these are stored under the path: J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\<various sub-folders>. One is stored under the path: J:\My Data\My AV Sequences\Llanddudno.

The only one that does not correctly position the File List/Tree Structure is that last one. It has never been saved in version 8. It was last saved using v6.5. Also, it is the only one whose folder has been moved from one location to another. When it was built, it was built under J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Llanddudno. Once it was complete, the entire sub-folder Llanddudno was moved to its new location.

Are there any fresh clues in there?

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I did the following test:

1. I have installed PTE 8.0.4

2. There are several projects with selected folders in the File tree.

3. I re-installed PTE 8.0.4

4. All folders are remembered for each projects in the File tree.

Igor,

I just tried the same test. I made sure that I had 3 projects with the correct File Tree associated with each. I re-installed 8.04. Each of the 3 projects showed the correct File Tree for each project. It seems to happen only when updating from an earlier version. And, none of my projects have been moved to any new location.

Gary

Ok, here's a little more info...

I have found an old sequence that was built using v7.0. It opens correctly into v7.0 and v7.5 but not into v8. However, a different project file, also created in v7.0 fails to open correctly in all three versions of PTE.

N.B. By "correctly" I mean with the File List/Tree Structure correctly positioned.

Sorry, but I think I have just muddied the waters for everyone.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Thanks, I expected this result.

Also there is no difference when you install 8.0.4 over 8.0.4 or 8.0.4 over 8.0.3.

So the problem seems to be tricky.

Peter,

Version 8 doesn't use folders of projects created in previous versions (7.0 and earlier).

Peter,

I can see some sense in what you are suggesting.

The folders and .pte projects that I am trying to switch between have all been worked on recently and have not been moved.

Is it possible, as I suggested to Igor, to take the File Tree out of the equation? Close it?

I am opening a project and, without saving it, I am going to File / Open to open a different Project.

But the File List does not change.

DG

Dave,

I had the File Tree closed in v8 when I ran my tests. I opened it only when PTE failed to show the correct images in the File List, in order to find out where it had positioned itself.

When I follow your instructions in post 24 above, i.e. launch PTE, get the last used project opened, then do File/Open of a recently modified project, everything works as I would expect - and as you would like it to, i.e. it positions the tree and the file list correctly, and continues to do so if I do more File/Opens of recent projects.

I do not see any of the problems that you and Gary see. Either you guys have got something lurking on your systems that I do not have on mine, or I have something beneficial on my system that neither of you have on yours. As to what that might be ???????

Peter