WnSoft Forums

Many years ago in my film days I had a dabble with black and white infra-red photography, but was never really able to do it enough to become as proficient as I would have liked. The cost was the main thing and the availability of the film. I had another go in the digital age using a deep red filter to block visible light, but there are all sorts of practical issues with that. I quickly kicked that into touch as being just too inconvenient. You can't see through the lens with the filter in place and exposures are up around 20 seconds or longer so a tripod is essential and any movement kills the image. In 20 seconds there is a lot of movement in leaves of trees for example.

A change in camera equipment for the other half recently left me with a Canon 5D spare and I have had that converted to be able to shoot Infra-Red images. The company I chose to do the work is based in Melbourne Australia called Camera Clinic, but there are places in the UK too. One of those is Protech Photographic which was used by a good friend of mine to convert his camera.

In Australia I used Camera Clinic because they were great on the phone and were able to answer all my questions and concerns before I committed myself to the conversion, but committed I am and the camera has just been delivered back to me. Just in time for a trip down to Sydney so plenty of time to put it through its paces.

We have already seen one very nice Audio Visual using Infra-Red and I hope I can add to that in the coming months. A converted camera has the Infra-Red filter removed from the sensor amongst other things so it can be used point and shoot. From what I have experienced from the IR files other people have sent me, they are not any more difficult to post process than standard images.

Barry,

Sounds like you are about to go on a fascinating "digital adventure". I know you will share your findings with us here on the forum and via your monthly newsletter. Good luck on the trip and have some fun playing with your new toy!

regards,

Peter