WnSoft Forums

Looking for an alternative to Roxio

PGA

As part of my preparation for my new desktop PC system I am asking myself whether I really need Roxio. On fairly regular occasions I need to burn an audio CD or a data CD, on rare occasions I need to burn a data DVD. Do I really need the complexity of Roxio? My feeling is - no!

I would welcome thoughts from you folks out there on other solutions. Does Windows 7 come with burning software? If so, I will try that to begin with. Are there some really good OpenSource or Freeware products out there? Which can you recommend? Which should I avoid at all costs?

regards,

Peter

Do you need to make the decision now? Wait to see what comes with your OS. I have used the software which came with W7 (Cybernet Power 2 Go) until now but it has restrictions which Roxio handles with ease. I sometimes have to transfer a USB HDD from my Desktop to my Laptop to burn something. If I need to instal something better I will go with Roxio.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

As part of my preparation for my new desktop PC system I am asking myself whether I really need Roxio. On fairly regular occasions I need to burn an audio CD or a data CD, on rare occasions I need to burn a data DVD. Do I really need the complexity of Roxio? My feeling is - no!

I would welcome thoughts from you folks out there on other solutions. Does Windows 7 come with burning software? If so, I will try that to begin with. Are there some really good OpenSource or Freeware products out there? Which can you recommend? Which should I avoid at all costs?

regards,

Peter

Peter

My twopenneth on this, my burning software came with my latest PC, which disc drive have you specced, it may come with software. I only usually burn DVD's using PTE's Video builder, anything outside PTE I use either what came with Windows 7 Professional, or what came with the drive. Regarding so called freebies, I've tried most of them when I was in full DVD production mode, at that time most of them came with a time limit or lots of landmines to attack your PC such as toolbar add ons, even those from Sourceforge. Finally, I assume you are spending a goodly amount on the new PC, IMO it is a retrograde step to spec' down to your LT level.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Peter.

I don't really have experience of using many of these programs, I doubt many do. I have used Power2go for quite some time and it does all I need. I think I started using it after I made a similar request to the one you made, probably on this forum.

The reason I asked was I was fed up with CD burning software that wanted to take over and offer me loads of silly functions when all I want is a simple, but quick burn tool.

Peter,

The following may suit your requirements:-

Ashampoo Burning (Free)

Ashampoo Burning (Pro)

Terrible name ~ But one of the best Software providers in Europe and we have used their products over

the past 10 years and in our opinion they are simple to use and virtually 'bullet-proof'.

We use their "Burning-Studio Suites" for the production of DVD's (Full Mpeg2 - Mp4 - Pte.Exe's and more),

There are extensive Auto-Disc-Check features within the both programs this to prevent time wasting Coasters.

Here is their Link:-

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/eur/pin/7110/burning-software/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-FREE

Let me know how you get on ~

Brian Kelly (Conflow)

Thanks to all who have offered their thoughts. I appreciate them!

I have instructed the PC builder to install only Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, essentail device drivers - and nothing else. I will be insisting on seeing the PC powered up and running - and doing a little bit of exploration of it prior to paying the balance and bringing it home. Yes, there may be CDs or DVDs that came with the devices. If there are, I will investigate any software on those - but I will be wary of getting a "trial" which then requires me to take out an expensive licence.

@Barry,

It wasn't me who steered you towards Power2Go (I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it)

regards,

Peter

I vote for - and use- ImgBurn, http://www.imgburn.com and that's after trying Roxio and other pricy burners. Ashampoo I tried too, but I was literally blasted by almost daily emails from them. I got so sick of their emails I uninstalled the program and unsubscribed to their website. It wasn't an outstanding program either. ImgBurn is well priced, that is, free.

Thanks for all the advice. It really is appreciated!

Based on your various suggestions my plan now, in order of attack, is:

• wait and see what Windows 7 offers, if anything
  • check whether the burner CD (if there is one) has anything free on it
  • try Imgburn

regards,

Peter

Peter

Sorry, I didn't word my post very well. I didn't mean you personally steered me towards Power2Go, but someone on this forum did

Barry,

I vaguely remember that conversation - and Power2Go continues to work well but as I said above, the free version is limited in what it will do compared to its more powerful paid for Pro version or Roxio. I often have difficulties with the limitations and have to resort to the method described above using Roxio on a Laptop. It only happens with music files but the point I was making was that Roxio handles these files OK. I think that I will probably look for a bargain version of Roxio. I don't need the latest and greatest.

DG

I like imgburn for mostly burning ISO images (works great with videobuilder ISO images). I don't think it does everything Roxio does (or many others). I have tried Ashampoo but so many advertisements to buy other software, upgrades, etc.

Tom