WnSoft Forums

Unpleasant Effect [SOLVED]

jt49

• Highlight several slides in the Slide List.
  • Open the Slide Options window.
  • In the Main tab: Choose a common background preference for the highlighted slides.
  • Click OK.

You will see an awful side effect: All highlighted slides will have the same transition type and the same transition time (type and time of the leftmost slide among the highlighted ones). Carefully chosen effects will be gone. The situation is even worse in case of slides with KFSD option (which I do not make use of).

Regards,

jt

Surely that is because the window applies both the options you select in the main tab and those in the trantion tab of the Slide Options. If you had something else set, then you're effectively replacing those settings.

If you want the background for a number of slides, you may find the Project Options is the way to go

Surely that is because the window applies ...

If you want the background for a number of slides, you may find the Project Options is the way to go

You may believe be that I know about what happens in the present version. If I have (say) 100 slides, and if I want to change the background of 10 slides, your suggestion does not provide a solution.

Let me point out that a simultaneous application of the slide options by just opening the window an closing it again with the OK button preserves the slide durations (of non-KFSD slides), and it also preserves individual backgrounds, while on the other hand transition settings get altered. This is an inconsistent behavior. The slide options window today is a dangerous weapon if being applied to several slides simultaneously.

Regards,

jt

This is an inconsistent behavior.

I don't think it is inconsistent behaviour. You open the Slide Options window. You make no changes. Nothing gets changed. You open the Slide Options window. You change one or more values (in your case just the one, to the image to be used as the background) and the values present on the two tabs in the Slide Options window get applied - ALL of them! The behaviour is consistent - but it isn't the behaviour that you would like. And I don't think I would like it either, but so far I haven't fallen into this trap! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I don't think it is inconsistent behaviour. You open the Slide Options window. You make no changes. Nothing gets changed ...

Sorry, this is not quite correct. Look at a sequence of several (more than just one) slides. You may use the timeline to produce durations (non KFSD) and transition times that are different (pairwise). You should also give these slides different background colors. Then highlight the whole sequence in the slide list. Open the slide options window which is now responsible for all your highlighted slides. Do nothing, just close the window again using the OK button. The different background colors remain unchanged, durations (only non KFSD) remain unchanged, but all slides now have the same transition type and the same transition time as the leftmost one in the group of highlighted slides. I would call this inconsistent.

Regards,

jt

Clicking OK is accepting whatever settings are present on the screen for ALL of the highlighted slides.

The Slide Options can only apply one Slide Duration, one Transition Type and one Transition Time.

If you want to select multiple slides then you accept that all of those settings apply to all of the slides.

Having tick boxes to disregard all of those settings and just change the one setting would satisfy your requirements.

DG

P.S. As Peter said, these things sometimes need to be brought to the user's attention. I will make a note of this in the Online Help File.

Clicking OK is accepting whatever settings are present on the screen for ALL of the highlighted slides.

The Slide Options can only apply one Slide Duration, one Transition Type and one Transition Time.

This is not true. Please study my example more carefully! In this example (post 5) Non-KFSD durations and background colors do not change. The corresponding tick boxes show small squares. But the transition time does change in any case. Just a repetition: This is inconsistent.

BTW: I only rarely apply the slide options to multiple slide. But recently I did it, just for changing the background for a few slides. The background colors changed, as I liked to see it, the slide durations remained invariant (this is good). The carefully prepared transitions were gone (awkward).

I alway wonder that people try to defend PTE, even in cases of severe user unfriendliness. I am not an enemy.

Regards,

jt

However, following your arguments can sometimes be tortuous to say the least!! :)

The BG colours do not change and I would have expected them to.

Sorry for the tortuousness. Other people call me clinical and analytical. It often happens to me that people argue based on experience and on what they would expect to see. Sorry, but this typically is not a good argumentation if it contradicts my statements. Normally, I do not make statements just based on expectations. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

jt

Thank you for summarizing in a very clear way what has been said before. In my opinion, PTE should provide corresponding boxes in the transition tab, as well. Otherwise the simultaneous application of the slide options window is rather restricted and a pitfall at the same time.

Regards,

jt

• 2 weeks later...

jt,

Thanks,

I must confirm that it's a bug in the Slide options window since version 7.5.

In case of all other options if they are different for selected slides you'll see a special state of checkboxes (square check).

We'll try to fix this problem in the update.

P.S. It's strange that I didn't notice this problem earlier.

Please try the updated test version:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-setup-805-beta.exe

Now when you select multiple slides and open the Slide Options window with Transition tab you'll see "Customize..." checkbox. You need to tick it to be able assign desired transition effect for all selected slides.

For one slide nothing has changed.

P.S. If everything is OK, I'll publish it as official 8.0.5 later.

Now when you select multiple slides and open the Slide Options window with Transition tab you'll see "Customize..." checkbox. You need to tick it to be able assign desired transition effect for all selected slides.

The test version shows the behavior that you have mentioned. So, if I select several slides at the same time, I have to activate the change of transitions. I like it. It does not provide the mechanism of a square check (as you call it), but in my opinion there is no need for that.

Regards,

jt