WnSoft Forums

Mac Version

Hi,

I have been keeping an occasional eye on the forums in the hope that one day we will have a Mac OS X version but I see that there no longer a Mac topic section. Am I to assume that development of a Mac version has ceased and us Mac users will be denied use of this excellent program?

ripigio :(

No, that isn't a valid assumption. Also, we have many MacIntosh users who currently run PTE on Intel MacIntosh machines under Bootcamp and other software which allows running Windows on the Mac.

It was determined that it was going to take much longer than originally anticipated to produce a MacIntosh version of PTE but the progress continues and the intention of producing a Mac version has never waivered.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Barry,

I suspect that the implementation of PTE code for the Mac is somewhat dependent on varibles outside of the control of Wnsoft. It wouldn't be useful to have a half-baked MacIntosh version and the development team must split their resources between getting necessary and requested features for the existing program and coding for the MacIntosh - it's not a simple thing when there are limited resources. Many large companies with magnitudes of greater resources than Wnsoft have elected to not create MacIntosh versions of their software. Any company must compute the return on investment for a second product line versus the ROI for enhancements and improvements on an existing product line and then allocate resources accordingly. I think Wnsoft initially underestimated the time it would take to code the Mac version when the entire coding structure had to be changed to something amenable to both operating systems and environments. Rather than give completion dates which may or may not be reliable, perhaps it's better to just let the public know that work is continuing and will be done when it is done.

Best regards,

Lin

I think the # of hoops they would have to do to satisfy MAC protocol is beyond their time available!

but

some members have adapted using 3rd party software and offer work arounds all the time are seem able to make things work.

but if one is really interested they must visit the forum regularly to get theses gems

ken

Hi,

Regrettably, I doubt if Wnsoft could make a decent business case for building and continuing to develop a MAC version. They would almost certainly have to charge more for the MAC version than the PC version. Such an increase would go some way to reducing the cost associated with running Windows as an app on a Mac. In my experience, though not as yet, totally ideal I find working in this way quite acceptable and believe that the actual working relationship between image processing on the MAC side and AV construction on the PC side to be very satisfactory. Software like Parallels and Fusion have improved considerably in recent years and I see no reason why they will not get even slicker. Perhaps we should let them do their thing and let WnSoft concentrate on developing this wonderful program.

John

I think the most difficult part of PTE port to the Mac platform has already been completed. That is the PTE viewer application. The editor would need to be ported to the Mac. If they use a cross platform application framework like Qt that would help. I wonder if there were a Mac version of PTE could it create a Windows .exe slideshow?

Igor hinted at a possible Mac version in this recent post.

Do you create Virtual AVI

"P.S. The new video output will work more reliable, and this code will be used in Mac version in future. We'd like to discard old rarely used options which difficult to rewrite."

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

Great to hear this Igor.

I would be happy to be number three. I offered my services when the Mac version was first mentioned and would be very happy to contribute to any testing.

At least I will not end up with numerous dud DVDs this time. :)

Peter

Hey,

I want to participate to on beta testing on PTE for MAC.

MACBOOK PRO

2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB ram 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD graphics 4000 1024 MB + NVIDEA Geforce GT 650M 512 MB

480 GB SSD HD

Also use Parallels - WIN 7.

I have a bootable Backup, so can by Save.

Luc M

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Igor,

The last post here was back in October last year I thought I would ask the question again.

Are you still working on a Mac version?

Version 9.0 has not been released yet has it?

So version 10 is probably at least 18 months away?

Peter

• 5 months later...

Not seeing any posts by Igor has me a little worried. My hope is his team is busy programming version 9 or maybe taking a break from the forum. I'm just hoping someone has been in contact with him to make sure he is ok.

Tom