WnSoft Forums

Publish DVD Video Disc will not play

David Porter

Problem with Publish to create a DVD video disc of my latest show. Both my DVD players recognise the disc and that there is something on it as indicated by “Play” being on the DVD screen but it will not play. DVD does play on computer via WMP. I have tried creating an iso file and burning that with Imgburn but with exactly the same result. I have burnt and old iso file from a previous version and that works perfectly. I have tried all various settings and also re-installed the program and wasted 10DVD’s to date. Help please

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mick,

8.0.2 has a newer DVD burn engine than 7.5 but you are having the same problem with iso and imgburn. Also since your DVD discs work with 7.5 the disc media is not the problem. I thought maybe your videobuilder was set to NTSC instead of PAL.

If it is a specific slideshow that will not publish to DVD it might be something about the images or audio that is not being converted to mpeg-2 format.

Maybe try a simple slideshow with different images and no music and see if that works?

Strange problem.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

It's quite a while since I burned a DVD, but in the past I've burned/copied hundreds but not with the current version of PTE. So in the cause of science I have tested my set up & successfully burned a 1.19GB DVD which plays on my Panasonic flat screen 6 years old TV & DVD recorder/player of the same age & make. I took particular notice of the process & made screen shots of the stages.

. I have a show made up from videos stripped from VHS tapes which I intend to distribute around the family via memory sticks, which I thought would be a good vehicle to test PTE.

First the disc I used was a DVD-R 4.7GB 16x speed. I opened the "New Vicars" show & selected the "Publish DVD" option.

This started PTE's video builder wizard see DVD1.

I then clicked the "next" button & got the warning "no disc inserted", I inserted the disc, tried again & the warning repeated but the process wouldn't start. Eventually I twigged, shut down the show, Inserted the disc before opening the show, then used the "publish DVD again. This time the disc was accepted & without altering or adding to any of the settings allowed it to proceed pressing the "next" button when prompted.

After around 5 minutes, the burn process started, this took another 5 minutes.

On completion the successful green tick appeared & I ejected the disc.

I then tried it in my player, bingo all was well.

My past experiences using PTE's video builder, is not to alter any of the default settings on the opening screens & 99% of the time the burn will be successful. I did have a couple of bad DVD discs, I tended to cheepo printable Ebay discs as I was burning up to 100 at a time, but in the main my experiences have been trouble free. Hope this helps.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

PS, I assume you are using the De-Lux version of PTE?

post-5560-0-93230900-1402645565_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-84183200-1402645582_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-97212400-1402645600_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-31696400-1402645621_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-49351700-1402645653_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-13039400-1402645673_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-64701000-1402645849_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

A screenshot of your Video Builder - Project Options settings window would also be very helpful to Mickp ... since you are both PAL :D

Hi Stu

Didn't even know that was there, the screen shot attached is the default for the show I was using it on, so I suppose this would change if it was a different aspect ratio? To Mick I would suggest leaving the settings on the screen shot as they are, I've never changed them. Thanks for the heads up Stu.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-63834500-1402655269_thumb.jp

Eric,

Hi Stu

... so I suppose this would change if it was a different aspect ratio? ...

Yachtsman1.

I would keep the TV Screen Aspect Ratio on AUTO.

As for Menu Aspect Ratio ... it depends on how you want the menu feature displayed. The menu has 2 ratios (4:3,16:9) of resource images available for your display preference.

Dave,

Stu,

I am not sure that it would make any difference.

All/most Modern DVD Players will handle both NTSC and PAL without problem.

Mine will,

DG

This is true of all PC/DVD players. As for TV/DVD players ... its a hit or miss depending the players multi video format playback capabilities. I would assume since Mickp's PC/DVD player worked correctly and his TV/DVD player did not ... its very probable his TV/DVD players are not able to playback multi video format (both NTSC and PAL)

* I believe Mickp's v 7.5 ISO file was encoded in PAL setting, and his v8 ISO file is mistakenly set to NTSC setting (maybe from initial installation). I would check this setting in Video Builder to cover all bases in problem solving steps.

Agreed,

It would be interesting to know if his DVD Player is NTSC Compatible.

I wondered if it was a Keyboard setting in the original Project? Unlikely but..........

Also, my BR Player sometimes responds to the OK Button but not the Play Button.

DG

Thanks for all your help so far and thanks Eric for your Projects Options screenshot. One of the default options is "Add Chapters" ticked and at 1

minute. When I first did it on these settings the dvd stopped playing on wmp after one minute - not what I wanted so I unticked that and it

played ok on the computer but not on TV. I was using PAL/Secam by the way. I do not think I am doing anything wrong in the settings but will do a simple show later and have another go - watch this space.

Mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

It's quite a while since I burned a DVD, but in the past I've burned/copied hundreds but not with the current version of PTE. So in the cause of science I have tested my set up & successfully burned a 1.19GB DVD which plays on my Panasonic flat screen 6 years old TV & DVD recorder/player of the same age & make. I took particular notice of the process & made screen shots of the stages.

. I have a show made up from videos stripped from VHS tapes which I intend to distribute around the family via memory sticks, which I thought would be a good vehicle to test PTE.

First the disc I used was a DVD-R 4.7GB 16x speed. I opened the "New Vicars" show & selected the "Publish DVD" option.

This started PTE's video builder wizard see DVD1.

I then clicked the "next" button & got the warning "no disc inserted", I inserted the disc, tried again & the warning repeated but the process wouldn't start. Eventually I twigged, shut down the show, Inserted the disc before opening the show, then used the "publish DVD again. This time the disc was accepted & without altering or adding to any of the settings allowed it to proceed pressing the "next" button when prompted.

After around 5 minutes, the burn process started, this took another 5 minutes.

On completion the successful green tick appeared & I ejected the disc.

I then tried it in my player, bingo all was well.

My past experiences using PTE's video builder, is not to alter any of the default settings on the opening screens & 99% of the time the burn will be successful. I did have a couple of bad DVD discs, I tended to cheepo printable Ebay discs as I was burning up to 100 at a time, but in the main my experiences have been trouble free. Hope this helps.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

PS, I assume you are using the De-Lux version of PTE?

attachicon.gifdvd a.jpg

attachicon.gifdvd1.jpg

attachicon.gifdvd2.jpg

attachicon.gifdvd3.jpg

attachicon.gifdvd3a.jpg

attachicon.gifdvd4.jpg

attachicon.gifdvd5.jpg

Hi Mick, you didn't miss this one did you?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Yes Eric I did check this out and as I said I am confident there is nothing wrong with my Video builder settings plus I have tried most variations to no avail.

I have now created a small show with five slides and a gradient blank slide to start (as my main show) and music and the DVD works perfectly on the DVD player to TV and also works on computer on WMP. But when I use exactly the same settings in video builder for my main show I get the same problem as before - the disc plays on computer but not on TV despite the DVD player recognising it and the timer showing 0:00:00 but it will not play.

My main show uses quite a few masks, lots of animation together with text but no video but cannot find anything in Project settings that could cause a problem. Is this something Igor could look at and what information or files would be required?

Mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

But when I use exactly the same settings in video builder for my main show (implies you have changed something.)

Mickp

Hi Mick

My advise when using PTE video builder is to use the default, if you have changed something in PTE VB Project Options, you are not using the default. My last screenshot is my default setting, I have changed nothing, mine works. Try deleting your current copy of PTE, re-installing it, then use VB as it has been installed, following the steps in my multi screen shot post, changing or adding nothing.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

So does mine work perfectly with the new temporary show I created but there must be something in my main show which is causing a glitch. I have used the default settings in video builder as well as various other settings all with the same result. Running out of DVD's now.

Mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

My last suggestion is to provide a number of screen shots of your video builder process (a picture is worth a thousand words :rolleyes: ), maybe we can deduce something from that? Lastly, what size is the main show on the VB opening page?

I have a problem of my own which I am going to post now. :blink:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. Cut down the show to four slides out of 19 - DVD worked! Then cut it down to 10 slides and DVD worked. Then just cut the last slide ie 18 slides left and DVD did not work. So tomorrow will investigate slides 11 to 18. I don't think it is a size problem as exe file is 107mb. Sorry Eric just sen your post will read and reply tomorrow as out on the razz tonight.

Mick.

Okay here is the definitive problem after much analysis.

Show is 19 slides long - 8 minutes 30 secs long. Have deleted sound files

DVD for full show plays on Computer but not on TV

Cutting last 8 slides (ie up to slide 11) - 3 mins 58 secs DVD plays perfectly on TV

Replacing last eight slides with simple slides from different project with no animation but with same slide times- DVD will not play on TV

So something occurs at 3 mins 58 secs but Slides 12 to 19 appear not to be corrupted.

A template of the show can be downloaded from Medifire but it 130mb so maybe it is something Igor could look at.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nigsbdzbajum6/Stations_of_the_Cross

Mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

Some people won't download from Mediafire for reasons of their own, if there aren't any takers, you could either upload it to Dropbox or tomorrow if I have time I will download it from MF. Fixed my text problem, onward & upward.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.