WnSoft Forums

Canon 17-40mm Lens wanted

You may want to also consider the Sigma 18-35 Art lens - more flexible with docking station and generally considered better glass. The 17-40 has a reputation for significant chromatic aberration at full wide angle on a FF sensor.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-18-35mm-F18-DC-HSM-A-Canon-versus-Canon-EF-17-40mm-F4L-USM___1141_0_794_0

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks guys, but it has to be a Canon 17-40 because it's for use with an Infra-Red converted Canon 5D camera. Some lenses produce a hot spot when used for I/R and it's difficult, if not impossible to always edit it out. I found that to be the case with the lens I had, which was a 16~35 Canon. I know from information from the Internet and more importantly from a respected photographer friend of mine who has experience of I/R that the 17-40 is good with I/R converted cameras. He uses the same combination of Canon 5D Mk2 and a 17-40 and gets great results and no hotspots..

If I bought another type of lens I may go from the frying pan into the fire and still have a hotspot. I already have a 28-135mm lens that is reported as good with I/R. My recent trip away and lots of practical use, sadly confirms the hot spot with the 16-35. (a super lens for visible light photography)

I was fortunate that my wife has downsized her camera system very recently, so I actually had two 16-35 lenses, one of which I sold this week. I was offered a 4 year old 17-40mm for $AUS550, but today I picked up a brand new, boxed lens in Brisbane for $737 with full warranty. Some people want just too much for second hand kit and for under $200 saving I felt I may as well buy new.

So, the situation is resolved and anyone interested can see my first few I/R images on my Flickr site