WnSoft Forums

(Solved) P2E ver 8 not launching

GeoffM

I purchased an upgrade to version 8 deluxe in January 2014 and it was working perfectly on 2 desktops. Recently it refused to launch on the computer which is not connected to the internet but works perfectly on the other computer with internet connected. I then disconnected the internet connection and P2E still worked fine. I then connected the computer on which P2E did not launch to the internet and it worked perfectly until I disconnected. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks for the suggestion to reinstall. I tried that but it still won't launch. An icon appears on the task bar and a box appears on the desktop showing "error" wioth various missing files. I know the files have been moved since I reorganised my files in Lightroom. I clicked OK but a new project screen does not open.

Geoff Muscutt.

Try another re-install, but right click the picturesToexe-setup and select run as administrator. A long shot, but not something that will take more than 5 minutes and you never know. I have had to do this myself once with another software program

In addition to the above advice - are you doing a complete UNINSTALL before re-installing?

The screen you describe is the usual one when you have moved files and the software cannot find them. Just OK it and the project should open. You can then click on File / New Project.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks for the suggestion to reinstall. I tried that but it still won't launch. An icon appears on the task bar and a box appears on the desktop showing "error" wioth various missing files. I know the files have been moved since I reorganised my files in Lightroom. I clicked OK but a new project screen does not open.

Geoff Muscutt.

When I install a new version, I let it over-ride the previous one, then at the end PTE opens with a pre-amble of the features. Does yours?, which boxes are you ticking during the installation process?

Yachtsman1.

I tried 'Run as administrator' and that just gave the same result showing an error box full of missing files. When I click OK nothing happens except that a PTE icon appears in the task bar. If i click on this icon a box shows the last project I worked on but it won't open. I uninstalled PTE via Control Panel then did a search and found other PTE files which I deleted. I then connected the computer to the internet and installed PTE version 7.5 via a copy on a flash drive. I then downloaded PTE 8 and left defaults as is. When I opened PTE 8 it asked which previous version to use so I typed 7.5.

Everything worked fine but it didn't ask for a key no. The same error box as before opened but when OK was ticked the project opened with no files. I then did a new project and that worked fine.

Finally I unplugged the internet cable and took the computer back to my study where there is no internet connection. The programme failed to open again ! Very frustrating.

Although PTE 7.5 and PTE 8 were both in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder PTE 8 is under WNSoft Pictures to Exe and PTE 7.5 is in a sparate folder called 7.5. I copied 7.5 across to the WNSoft folder but the programme still doesn't work

Geoff

Geoff,

It sounds to me as though you may have some corruption in the Windows Registry. I would be inclined to uninstall all versions of PTE, then run a Registry cleaner program, then re-install PTE.

regards,

Peter

As Igor says PTE does not require and internet connection to run. The fact that your copy seems to be effected is either a coincidence or something is blocking it. Virus program perhaps?

Also, if you have not already done so, download a new copy of PTE, in case the one you have is corrupt in some way

I feel by your comments the PTE program is actually functioning properly ... its your project file that is having issues showing missing files when both PCs are not networked together.

Could you please answer in more detail some of your previous comments.

1) "Recently it refused to launch on the computer which is not connected to the internet but works perfectly on the other computer with internet connected."

~Are these two computers networked together thru your internet and/or how are they connected/networked ?

2) "An icon appears on the task bar and a box appears on the desktop showing "error" wioth various missing files. I know the files have been moved since I reorganised my files in Lightroom. I clicked OK but a new project screen does not open."

~Where are these moved files now ... which computer or do both have there own copies ?

~Was everthing working correctly on both computers without issues before the files were moved?

~When both PCs are networked together your project file opens correctly by showing the once missing images?

* As a note : PTE will not find files you have moved ... it does not know where you may have moved them or it cannot find the files when both computers are not connected together. New project screens do not open automatically ... it requires user input from the file menu.

3) "When I click OK nothing happens except that a PTE icon appears in the task bar. If i click on this icon a box shows the last project I worked on but it won't open."

~This also may be a result of your moving the files in Lightroom after you created the project file ?

4)"Everything worked fine but it didn't ask for a key no. The same error box as before opened but when OK was ticked the project opened with no files. I then did a new project and that worked fine."

~PTE program does not remove the registration key(s) either when the v8 program or any other of its other program versions are uninstalled ... so theres no need to ask for it again.

My reading is that it is opening the LAST SAVED FILE each time.

Connect to Internet.(Are you networking your file storage?)

Open PTE - Click OK - do File/New.

Save it.

Close and re-Start PTE.

Unticking "Load last project..." in Preferences / Project might be a better option for you.

DG

PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks to everyone who gave helpful suggestions. My two computers are not networked so 'nobeefstu's' suggestions weren't followed. I then thought it was maybe a registry problem or a virus as suggested. However upon switching the computer with the problem back to the internet connection in another room PTE worked with or without an internet connection. Reconnected back in my study PTE was suddenly working again. GUESS WHAT? I have a dual monitor setup in my study and hadn't reconnected the HDMI cable. Now PTE worked. There must be a problem either with the video card or with the VGA to HDMI convertor used to connect the second (VGA) monitor. Once again thanks for everyone's help but it was not a PTE problem.

UPDATE: PTE was working all the time I suspect. However because of the twin monitor setup it was opening on my second monitor which was not switched on.

Geoff.