WnSoft Forums

Walt Disney Multiplane Camera

tom95521

Have you ever wondered how Walt Disney's animators were able to zoom and pan accurately without computer animation? Objects like clouds and the moon less than the foreground objects?

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/08/walt-disney-multiplane-camera/

I have always been amazed how much labor and skill was involved in making hand crafted animated movies before computer animation.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

I don't know if you can get the BBC programme Click! it is available on the BBC IPlayer, last time I suggested this to a non UK resident, it was only available as a pay programme. However, you must try to see the latest edition it's all about model helicopter based video cameras, using the multi rotored battery powered type of helicopter. They are already being used in the production of mainstream cinema & commercials. Being an ex radio control pilot, it really got my juices going, this is a link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04dy36n/click-09082014 but I think you would have to pay? Maybe someone will up-load it to YouTube? we live in hope. It really is a mustn't miss. The final bit showed a developer who was producing a man carrying version.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

Quadcopters/Hexcopters are really popular for aerial filming. The DJI Phantom series are really popular. Maybe someday when I retire I will buy one.

I could not view the video without using a VPN/Proxy and my guess is that is frowned upon by the BBC.

We already have DO NOT FLY zones for drones. If the FAA develops strict rules to limit the altitude too low it would not be much fun. I agree it's dangerous to fly them above 150 meters or close to airports.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Yes, I was a member of the the BMFA & LMA (British Model Flying Association & Large Model Association) when I was flying & there are strict rules over here. It was the use they are being put to in mainstream cinema that was significant in my eyes, there is one shot of Superman carrying a young lady that had been done somehow using a drone, FAB :o

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.