WnSoft Forums

Z order keyframes

It would be nice if we had a new keyframe property to move layers up or down. This would be a manual method of adjusting for hidden surface removal without requiring Direct3D or hardware graphics function. It would be compatible with all operating systems that PTE supports. It may not fix all Z order problems but it would fix the simple ones like the one in the video below. The demo slideshow utilizes 4 slides to simulate layer moving at keyframes. I have not tested to see if it accurately models transparency but in theory it should since the layers are in the correct order.

Thanks,

Tom

z-order.zip

Update: Z-order transparency test. It appears to be accurate.

z-order_transparency.zip

Hi MUR,

From my limited understanding there are various methods to simulate correct Z order such as show front side only (rotating cube), switch transparency on/off, and multiple slides. It is hard to correctly display semi-transparent objects on one slide without drawing the objects in the correct order.

Thanks for your demo slideshow. It is much more sophisticated than my versions.

Tom

Hi MUR,

Interesting. Could you post the project file? Maybe Z order keyframes are not required to do layered transparent objects. I thought they were because of the way colors mix together.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom

Here's the exercise, with all the info. (The name of the colors are in spanish). The concept is very simple but you have to be very careful with all the variables in Objects and Animation including 3D parameters.

Take special care that the slides in the stack be in the same order as they would in reality for visibility from one side and repeat in reverse order, for visibility of the other side

MUR

Prueba PTE.zip

Hi MUR,

Very nice. The only problem I see (that might be easy to fix) is at time 22 seconds with blue (azul) and purple (morado) color mix. I think it would more purple and less blue. Having 3 or more objects/layers mixing together is complicated to follow even when using video toolbar. I like you method and will try it in the future. :)

Thanks,

Tom

• 9 months later...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your suggestion!

We're considering this solution (manual Z-sorting in keyframes) and also automatic Z-sorting. Probably we will implement both variants. We don't hurry because we're trying to find the optimal solution.