WnSoft Forums

Spell checker

Guest Yachtsman1

Igor

When considering a further upgrade could you please include a spell checker?

Hi I asked for this at least 4 years ago, can't think why it hasn't been done, most other programmes have one, maybe because its a multi-language programme?

Yachtsman1.

I'm sort of the opinion that we don't really need a "spell checker" - what we need is programable line wrap and the ability to have multiple fonts in the same text object. . The really difficult thing about entering anything other than a few words in PTE is that when it's copied from Microsoft Word or other text editor, everything ends up in a single gigantic string. The the user has to first decide which font they want, even though they have carefully chosen the font underlines, bold, italic, etc., in their word processing software. Then how large they want the text to appear, choose a font and then begin the terribly slow and manual process of manually entering line breaks. When text is numerous, it adds literally HOURS of work to get it all correct. The spell checking can be done with the very powerful tools in the text editor, but to get it to look right in PTE is a monumental undertaking.

I think having text line wrap and the ability to use the fonts already chosen along with subscript, superscript, italics, bold, underline strike through, etc., derived from the document copied and pasted would make PTE a much more viable tool to the business environment. It's just way too difficult to deal with text in PTE. To put a single word in bold or italics or underlined, for example, one has to create a second or multiple text objects and insert it (them) in the proper place within the first.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Ever since I got my new PC when I type any words anywhere, my system auto checks them & underlines what it thinks are incorrect. For instance color & colour, which is obviously language related, & yes I am running the English language version of Windows 7 64bit. It can sometimes be very annoying & in many instances prompts me to spell check certain words in case I have spelled them incorrectly. This is time wasting, opening a second programme & running a check. IMO PTE should have its own spell checker & may persuade those who are unwilling to post because of their spelling ability, to post. (BTW 2 flags on this post, colour & programme????)

Yachtsman1.

I'm sort of the opinion that we don't really need a "spell checker" - what we need is programable line wrap and the ability to have multiple fonts in the same text object ...

I would like to second this statement. When I give a lecture while using PTE, I use to prepare the texts for my slides in LibreOffice with transparent background, export the documents to PDF, import them into Photoshop, and export the MediaBoxes as PNG images. This may sound complicated, but once you are used to this process it really works with a few clicks. Of course it would be fine to have rich text features in PTE.

Regards,

jt

I agree with Lin, a spelling checker can be helpful, but what is really necessary is a kind of text editor.

I modify the text frequently during editing, and the method from jt49, although I have not tried, it seems slow if there are many modifications.

MUR

I don't know if I would use a spell checker often. I don't add much text (mostly numbers) to my slides and when I do they are usually personal names that most spell checkers would not have in their dictionaries (unless customized). Probably if I did enter a large amount of text I would copy and paste from a word processor. I like Atlantis. It supports many languages with spell checking.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Because of your recommendation long ago, I use Atlantis myself and find it to be not only a genuine value, but a truly good editor. But when I carefully craft text to be copied and pasted into PTE, with the exception of spell correction it's all for naught. Just a single long string of text is entered and then the painstaking job of putting in line breaks and such begins. One little mistake and you start all over. To be a viable tool for business, where text is at least as important as images, PTE really needs the ability to word wrap, accept at least the fundamentals such as the editor on the forum. Then it would, in my opinion, open up an entirely new market as a competitor for PowerPoint. With only a small portion of this worldwide market, PTE would increase sales logarithmically.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tom,

Because of your recommendation long ago, I use Atlantis myself and find it to be not only a genuine value, but a truly good editor. But when I carefully craft text to be copied and pasted into PTE, with the exception of spell correction it's all for naught. Just a single long string of text is entered and then the painstaking job of putting in line breaks and such begins. One little mistake and you start all over. To be a viable tool for business, where text is at least as important as images, PTE really needs the ability to word wrap, accept at least the fundamentals such as the editor on the forum. Then it would, in my opinion, open up an entirely new market as a competitor for PowerPoint. With only a small portion of this worldwide market, PTE would increase sales logarithmically.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I agree it would be nice if PTE provided a text object editor using whatever is the best format, maybe HTML, ODF, or RTF. The Atlantis word processor does honor line breaks when I use the enter key for new line. If you just type without using the enter key it will word wrap and is just one line of text. I just don't use text very often in slideshows. I am probably in the minority.

Thanks,

Tom

... Then it would, in my opinion, open up an entirely new market as a competitor for PowerPoint. With only a small portion of this worldwide market, PTE would increase sales logarithmically ...

Logarithmic or exponential increase?

Regards,

jt

We have a little book over here called "First Aid in English". It assumes that you can spell properly and teaches correct usage of the language. It would be nice if that could be incorporated along with a Spelling Checker and a Thesaurus and an English to USA English/French/Italian etc converter.

DG

Although the subject is spell checker, to handle lots of text with diferents fonts, sizes and colors and multiple corrections during editing, I make all the texts in layers in a photoshop file, saved as PSD and each one as PNG. I use PNG for AV and make corrections in PSD and save again in both formats. It's what gives me more freedom, without any complications.

Use a large font size and scale down in PTE,

MUR

Wouldn't it be nice if all this could just be done in your text editor, copied and pasted directly into PTE complete with formatting, fonts, etc., without having to do the conversions then if a mistake is found, rework it all? I think that feature would be very useful, especially if there is a great deal of text.

Best regards,

Lin

In the next version we'll introduce the new Objects and animation editor.

But rich text object will be added later. This feature has high priority in my TODO list, but firstly we must finish the new editor.

We really have A LOT of work with next version.

We're all just dreaming Igor - nobody really expects to have all the desired "features" quickly. It's lots of work and you and the crew have done an incredible job already of giving everyone the best tool available for presentation shows! We truly appreciate it and love what is now already possible with PicturesToExe!!

Best regards,

Lin