WnSoft Forums

(Solved) PTE's MP4s won't play on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet

goddi

Greetings,

When we first got our Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Tablet back in March, I remember I was able to play my MP4s of a thumbdrive that I had originally created for my Windows desktop PCs. It has been a while since I tried doing this, but now they will not be recognized by the Tablet. I even tried to run them through the iDealshare program suggested in this Forum to 'convert' MP4s so they play on an Android. That did not work. I even tried to Publish an MP4 within PTE to be exported for a Tablet. That did not work. My wife stopped by BestBuy where they said something about having to 'reformat' the thumbdrive. But that was not clear enough for her to understand.

Has Samsung changed something, perhaps through updates or something, that is preventing the playing of PTE's MP4s????

Or what am I doing wrong???

Gary

PTE created MP4s play OK on my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 but I copy them to the device and do not play them from a "thumbdrive".

Phil

Phil,

That is good to know. I have played them from a thumbdrive so I just don't know what has changed on our Note. I will try to stop by BestBuy and see if someone there can figure out what is going on. I will try to copy one to the Note and see what happens.

Thanks... Gary

Greetings,

I think I have found out what has been going on.

The thumbdrive originally was formatted as FAT32. I wanted to add a few very large video files that were larger than the 4Gb size limitation for a device that is formatted as FAT32. So I re-formatted it as NTSF. This allowed the larger file sizes.

I have discovered that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet (Android) will not read a device that is formatted as NTSF. I guess this applies to all Android devices. So once I re-formatted the thumbdrive back to FAT32, it recognizes the thumbdrive and reads the MP4 PTE shows and the videos.

I called the Samsung help line and they confirmed this. I have read that you can 'root' your Android device to allow it to read NTSF devices but this may void warranties and it might be a bit complicated too. So I will just stick with FAT32 for the thumbdrive files to be played on the Samsung Android tablet.

Gary

Dave,

I don't have a Mobilite but I just discovered something new. I have been Googling around and I 'think' that if a thumbdrive is formatted as 'exFAT', some Android tablets will read that format and the exFAT format can surpass the FAT32's limitation of 4Gbs.

I will test this out after my wife gets home with her Samsung Note Android tablet.

Gary

Greetings,

I did a little testing. I have found an answer to a problem that I had when trying to play PTE MP4 files using a thumbdrive on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android tablet. This might also apply to other Android devices but I really don't know for sure. Originally, the tablet would not recognize the thumbdrive because it was formatted as NTSF.

So I tried Fat32 format. It works but this format limits your file size to 4Gbs. I discovered that you can format the thumbdrive as 'exFat'. I had not heard of this format before but I tried it. With the thumbdrive re-formatted as exFat, it will recognize and play MP4 files greater than 4Gbs. So with this discussion of 4K and HD files that will create larger MP4 files, this might be the way to go for playing them on certain Android devices.

My testing also showed this Android tablet will not play MOV or MPG files. I think this normal for Androids.

But I believe it should also play AVI files. So I tested this (with a thumbdrive formatted as exFat) and it will play AVIs less than 4GB but it only plays the audio portion if the file is greater than 4Gbs. Not sure why. I contacted Samsung tech people and they could not answer this question.

But my primary concern is being able to play PTE MP4 files that are larger than 4Gbs on an Android device. Perhaps, the answer is formatting the thumbdrive as 'exFat'.

Gary

Greetings,

Well, I just tried a thumbdrive that is formatted as 'exFAT' in my Western Digital Media device and also plugged directly into my Samsung flat screen TV. Neither recognized the exFAT formatted thumbdrive. So, each has its own advantages and, of course, disadvantages.

Gary

Greetings,

I keep finding more information as I go along with this issue of trying to play my PTE MP4 files on our Samsung tablet. As I have mentioned, the NTSF and the exFAT formats have their advantages and disadvantages. In the final analysis, I decided to reformat the thumbdrive back to FAT32 and deal with the large MP4 files (greater than the 4 Gb limit) by just dividing them in half or reducing their bitrate which will reduce their size.

But I found that when a device (thumbdrive) has been formatted with NTSF or exFAT, Windows will not allow you to reformat the thumbdrive back to FAT32. That selection is not available when you try to do the Format command. So you have to use a 3rd party program. I found one that worked perfectly, and it is free. So for those who might run into this predicament, here is the link to a free program that I used to reformat my thumbdrive from NTSF back to FAT32.

http://www.disk-partition.com/

Gary

• 8 months later...

Samsung TV is only compatible with MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec.

However, MP4 is a container format which contains various kinds of video and audio codecs. Once the MP4 files can't meet the requirement of Samsung TV input format, you'll get into trouble to play MP4 in Samsung TV.

You may follow this solution to solve Samsung TV won't play MP4 files