WnSoft Forums

Fixed size of slide. Discussion

jt49

Now you are being silly and deliberately provocative.

Not. Really, all our previous shows will have had the fixed slide ticked, so nothing will change with those. It will only be future shows and we would have to be aware of that the same as we are aware of fixed slide now.

Fair point.

Let's say for argument that we decide that tomorrow's new "standard" is something like 3840 wide.

That means that an owner of a D300s (or equivalent) or someone who wants to include a D300s (or equivalent) image can neither zoom nor crop (simile).

Well, that's progress isn't it?

Provocative again.

We don't all have 1DS mk IIII cameras.

Well, I am not sure what that has to do with anything, it's no different in size to the 5D and that is a common camera among enthusiasts.

I meant this - got the number wrong: http://thenewcamera.com/category/canon-rumors/

Bend a little?

To what? its only an opinion and Igor will go with what he thinks is right at the end of the day

That's right, but surely my opinion is as valid as any one else's?

I think we have reached a point where Igor is right and doing away with fixed slide may be the way to go, but not having a crystal ball I can only guess. When you think of how fixed size of slide has confused people over the past few years. Turn it on for one thing and turn it off for another.

You can't make software as good as this idiot proof. Users have to learn a little to get the best results. The same as they have with their image editors and other related software. They will soon learn what they need to do to make a slide show, the same as before and work without that fixed size.

All I asked for was that if it COULD be maintained without problem then it should remain. :)

DG

I believe this to be the best overall playback solution to bridge the past to the future. Slideshow makers and also slideshow users would both have a say/preference in its playback view. The EXE need only a internal reference "tag" to notify of the makers desired optimal viewing ... and the users/viewers can be their own judge of how they wish to view and enjoy the presentation.

* I would therfore proceed sooner to the development of the "possible future player"

For people who submit their AV productions to AV festivals, the suggestions from above will not work. You cannot expect that the organizer of a festival will work with players for shows prepared with different AV tools. Exe presentations have to be self contained. And of course there must not be a notification during the performance. Not too long ago, I have made the experience that the resolution parameters for a festival changed from FullHD to WUXGA. But my production was save because of the exe's fixed size.

PTE is said to be a professional AV program. In this case it has to provide professional features. I would regard prevention of upscaling for exe shows as such a feature. The corresponding option could placed into some menu without bothering a new user.

Regards,

jt

Provocative?

Why, because I said progress changes things? Surely I need to be a bit more radical than that to be provocative. However, I wasn't, but progress is such that we have to move on and perhaps the time is right to simplify AV as much as possible. Its not as though we are fighting new users off is it.

That's right, but surely my opinion is as valid as any one else's?

I don't recall saying it wasn't. I am just happy for Igor to make his decision.

If the fixed size of slide remains, OK. If it doesn't then I'll manage and I am sure everyone else will too.

I did see that you put Mk4 rather then three and assumed it was a typo. I must put my order in quick for the new Canon, because without fixed size of slide I will need all those pixels to zoom into the backside of the fly in my soup.

Now I am being provocative :D

For people who submit their AV productions to AV festivals, the suggestions from above will not work. You cannot expect that the organizer of a festival will work with players for shows prepared with different AV tools. Exe presentations have to be self contained. And of course there must not be a notification during the performance. Not too long ago, I have made the experience that the resolution parameters for a festival changed from FullHD to WUXGA. But my production was save because of the exe's fixed size.

PTE is said to be a professional AV program. In this case it has to provide professional features. I would regard prevention of upscaling for exe shows as such a feature. The corresponding option could placed into some menu without bothering a new user.

Regards,

jt

jt,

The issues you raise concening professional AV festival presentations playback can easily be addressed/supported by Igor's proposed "possible future player".

Currently PTE already uses two different players for its EXE playback. (They are named viewers within the program files) One is "self contained" internally into a single compliled unsigned EXE and the other is a external signed EXE distributed in combination with a slideshow data file for the internet.

So the "possible future player" need only additional programing and options to accommodate both the everyday normal users and the professional AV user display and option needs. The preferred display "tag" I mentioned need not be advised if the player is already in the correct display view as requested by the slideshow data. All these issues can be addressed with internal programing of the "possible future player" and the published slideshow file/data settings.

Iam not suggesting to remove the current feature/option of fixed size slides ... Iam suggesting that Igor start the development of the "possible future player" sooner rather than later to incorporate his ideas of "various options how to display a slide (fullscreen, windowed, fixed size)", whereas any user can override/control the playback/display to suit their own visual preferences if need be.

Iam not suggesting to remove the current feature/option of fixed size slides ... Iam suggesting that Igor start the development of the "possible future player" sooner rather than later to incorporate his ideas of "various options how to display a slide (fullscreen, windowed, fixed size)", whereas any user can override/control the playback/display to suit their own visual preferences if need be.

Stu,

Forgive me if I am wrong but the way I read this is that you are thinking purely of the Viewer. What about the author who would not want his/her work upscaled accidentally or otherwise. Would he/she always have to produce at a higher resolution than the screen it is likely to be played on? I note that you are not suggesting that the Fixed Size of Slide be removed.

In view of Igor's last words it might not be necessary to continue this discussion?

DG

In view of Igor's last words it might not be necessary to continue this discussion?

DG

Dave

I agree there is no need to continue the player discussion ... I was just replying to the post made by jt.

I felt that during PTE development and changes, Igor should also make the "future player" a top priority necessity and not just a possibility. This makes planning options and future features coincide with known intentions.

* As for : "What about the author who would not want his/her work upscaled accidentally or otherwise."

My answer to this is my TV/Video/DVD player allows me to somewhat control the video and movie disc display to suit my taste other than the pre-programed settings. I am not limited to just the intended/default display settings of the author of the disc ... those players have additional viewing and playback choices. I can watch it the way they wanted it and I can also watch it the way I want. I call that user friendly.