WnSoft Forums

Corsica, a mountain in the sea

d67

Corsica, a mountain in the sea.
Can be downloaded from http://www.slideshowclub.com

Mare et Monti, Corse / Sea and mountain, Corsica
Slideshow of images taken during a 2 weeks stay, September 2013.
Size 60Mb, duration 4 min, Resolution 16:10 - 2550/1597 px, keyboard or mouse control enabled

Corsica, a french isle situated 170 km away from the south coast of France in the Mediterranean sea, is also called the isle of beauty.
Isle of contrasts, Corsica is truly a mountain in the sea and wherever you are, mountains and sea are omnipresent. This isle counts 117 summits over 2000 meters!

Staying in Corsica can be a contemplating or meditating one but can also be very sportive and challenging... that for my choice of a tonic accompagnying music.
For contemplation, the slideshow can be steered with the keyboard (space bar and left/right arrows) or left/right mouse buttons.

Enjoy this short sequence and feel free to comment it in any way.
Patrick

Guest Yachtsman1

I must confess to being biased about the show subject. We started our new life aboard our yacht "Magic Moods" in Calvi in Corsica, & spent 4 months there in 2001 fitting her out. So your show brought the memories flooding back. The lows were hearing about 9.11 in Calvi harbour, the high being our crossing from Calvi to Camille Rayon on the Cote de Azur on the French mainland.

I loved the show & the music depicted the rugged granduere of the island. Sorry about the pictures, just couldn't resist.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-32995800-1416938744_thumb.jppost-5560-0-63440000-1416938755_thumb.jppost-5560-0-05728400-1416938771_thumb.jppost-5560-0-60042700-1416938783_thumb.jppost-5560-0-78025600-1416938797_thumb.jppost-5560-0-73195000-1416938826_thumb.jp

Hi Eric

Thank you for your appraisals.
Calvi is a great spot!

Geography, sceneries, weather, welcoming inhabitants but also the vast types of stay possible (water sports, hiking, passive holidays...), everything makes this isle to be a very strong and unforgettable experience.

Patrick

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Patrick

Things must have changed since we were there. The police station at Bastia was blown up twice, the yacht chandler in Calvi refused to recognise the English language, he even glued the English pages together of the yacht catalogue so they couldn't be referred to. The marina manager screwed us out of £1000 euros, claiming the previous owner of our yacht hadn't paid his dues. The transport links to other parts of the island were abysmal & the place was invaded in the summer with hordes of yachties from nearby countries which meant you couldn't leave your berth in fear of someone pinching it while you were absent. For me I'm afraid, the best part was the day we left. :(

I see!

We where there at mid september with mild temperature... and prices, sea at 23°C, very few tourists and smiling inhabitants.

For sure the situation must be radicaly different during July or August and for certain life aspects (transportation for example or some islander behaviour) there are some known ... weaknesses!

Guest Yachtsman1

Sounds like you avoided the winds? The Libeccio & the Tramaontana, we were touring the mountains by car during a Libbeccio & when we returned to the boat, the passerelle (the gangplank seen in the picture of my wife on the stern) had been picked up by the wind & deposited on the cabin roof. Also we heard stories of the seas breaking over Calvi Harbour walls in the winter, which hastened our departure. Lots of memories.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Again, just dug out another couple of pictures which are in my book & AV show "Corsica to the Costas", the first shows one unlucky sailor who was moored outside the harbour & out of reach of the firefighting services & my wife getting down & dirty antifouling Magic Moods in 40 degree C temperatures.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-58782400-1417006844_thumb.jppost-5560-0-36950100-1417006867_thumb.jp