WnSoft Forums

Screen Shots

davegee

It is always useful to add screen shots when posting queries / bugs etc.

Here's an easy way of creating a screen shot of, perhaps, an error message: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-vista

Works in Vista and W7.

Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

I think this post is in the right section but if an admin wants to move it - I'm OK with that.

DG

It is always useful to add screen shots when posting queries / bugs etc.

Here's an easy way of creating a screen shot of, perhaps, an error message: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-vista

Works in Vista and W7.

Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

I think this post is in the right section but if an admin wants to move it - I'm OK with that.

DG

Dave,

I have been using the ScreenCapturePrint.exe (free) to do my 'snipping'. But I did find the Windows Snipping tool is also in Windows 8. I have attached a screenshot for those who are using Win8.

Gary

post-1794-0-50332500-1417189150_thumb.jp

Gary,

I posted this because not everyone seems to be able to use the "Prt Sc" keyboard function.

It is a little easier to use BUT, unless I have missed something, it is not as easy to add text to the Snipped JPG.

I still prefer "Prt Sc".

DG

Dave...

Hmmmmm.... I don't use PrtScn because I can not size the exact area I want to make a screenshot of. You can only capture the entire screen or, with Alt, you can capture an active window. Maybe I am missing something.

But programs like ScreenCapturePrint.exe and Snipping make creating screenshots of any area of the screen very easily. For text, I open the screenshot into Paste (corrected...I meant 'Paint') and I can do text and symbols very easily. I've now added Snipping to my Desktop, too. Thanks.

Gary

You can resize an active window to whatever size you require before pressing Alt+PrtSc?

That's how I did all of the Figures for the Online Help.

The size of the Window changes but not the elements inside the Window.

DG

P.S. "into Paste"??

Dave... Oooopppsss... I meant Paint. I still don't see PrtScn being really as useful as Snip, etc. You have to capture the entire screen or the entire active window's contents. Then you have to crop them, if you don't want the entire area. Snip and ScreenCapturePrint does it all in one action.

Gary

Read it again Gary.

Prt Sc captures the whole screen.

Alt+PrtSc captures the Active Window.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

DG

Dave,

That is exactly what I said...."You have to capture the entire screen or the entire active window's contents", meaning with Alt+PrtScn.

But what if you want to capture just a portion of the window you captured with PrnScn??? Can you?

See attached.

Gary

post-1794-0-88688600-1417205426_thumb.jp