WnSoft Forums

Can I use PTE on a Mac computer?

napsbury

I have been using PTE for a number of years on a PC. Due to problems with Windows 8 I have changed to a Mac. Can I download PTE to a Mac and if so, how? When I go to the Winsoft site to download the programme it only shows the download for Windows. Having changed does it mean goodbye to PTE?

I have been using PTE for a number of years on a PC. Due to problems with Windows 8 I have changed to a Mac. Can I download PTE to a Mac and if so, how? When I go to the Winsoft site to download the programme it only shows the download for Windows. Having changed does it mean goodbye to PTE?

Well, unfortunately I think you may have jumped the wrong way with that decision. While a Mac may be a good computer, there is no PTE version available at this time, and Mac users have to use Bootcamp or other cross-connecting programs to utilise Windows programs on a Mac. I am not up on Mac details as I am a PC man also, but there are almost endless posts on this forum complaining to some degree about PTE on Macs.

I think a better idea, since you don't get along with Win 8 (lots don't!) would have been to install a copy of Windows 7 on your PC. It acts very much like XP and is an easy step up, which is what I have done. If you still have your PC that is what I would do, and save almost endless hassles with the Mac. It's not only running PTE on a Mac, it's also compatibility with mac-sourced programs being able to run on PC's and vice versa, if you intend doing that.

There is no mac version but you can run PTE in VMware or Parallels which works just fine. It can output Mac shows which run on a Mac.

I use VMware often at work but for my Macbook I use Parallels. You have to own a copy of Windows to install or use Windows 10 preview which is free and also free for personal use after it's released. I have no idea if Windows 10 runs under Parallels or Fusion. Also someone needs to test PTE on Windows 10.

Tom