WnSoft Forums

Creating UHD 4K videos

tom95521

I recently purchased a low cost Vizio P series 50" 4K UHDTV.

http://www.vizio.com/p502uib1e.html

It has 5 hdmi inputs and a USB 3 input. I was having difficulty creating 4K videos because the Vizio USB media player requires h.265 hvc1 codec instead of h.264 codec when playing 4K videos from the USB input.

I tried various h.265 command line encoders (divx265, f265, x265), but was not able to create a 4K video that would play on the Vizio. Then I was reading a forum post and they mentioned Hybrid. I has a large number of options. I select the x265 option and then audio pass thru. Now I can create fantastic looking videos for my 4K TV. It also converts YouTube 4K videos you might download.

Hybrid

http://www.selur.de/

My workflow is to create a custom 3840x2160 HD mp4 video in PicturesToExe and then convert that video using Hybrid. The encoding takes about 4 times as long as a normal h.264 encoded video. The file size is about 25% of the size of the original file. Even 2 Mbps h.265 videos look perfect on the 4K TV.

I don't know if PicturesToExe will directly support h.265 video encoding in the future (licensing), but it's possible using a 3rd party application.

Tom

The level of complexity and configuration options in h.265 is much higher than h.264. Decoding of h.265 seems fast but encoding is much slower. I like the small file sizes it produces. The amount of detail is amazing.

Example that looks amazing in 4K

Tom

Hi Tom

interesting experience about h265, thanks for information.

It was said that h265 was twice more efficient than h264 at the same quality level, it seems that it did not reach the target there is a big difference!

As you, I hope that PTE will support h265 directly for the future, not specialy for TV set applications but mostly for large screen projection.

Something is puzzling me about 50" 4KTV.

The normal human eye limits have already been reached with 50" TV Full HD screen definition. So if you watch at your TV set at a distance longer than 2m you should not be able to see all the full details of a 1920x1080 image except if you have a very supra normal view.

This limitation is biological.

The main interest is the use of h265 which provides much more details in colors (coded in 10/12 bits rather than 8/bits as before with h264).

So I can guess that the big difference lies much more in the screen quality itself and the use of h265 coding rather than in the 4K definition of your TV set.

On my point of view 4KTV is only a marketing concept. But it could win! That is always very difficult for the customer to make a right comparison.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes. I am very impressed with h.265. I have a Panasonic FZ1000 camera but have not been using it to shoot 4K. Now that I have a device that will display 4K videos I have no excuse. I usually sit only 2m from the 4K Vizio because it is easier to see the fine detail in the video. Unfortunately the UHDTV prices increase rapidly for larger display sizes. The image quality is just as good or better than my Sony Bravia 1080p..

The Hybrid program lets me batch convert many videos during the night so I don't mind waiting.

Tom

Thanks Tom

I will make some tests with Hybrid in order to see how it works transcoding h264 into h265.

But I should wait for 4K video. That would be much more appealing if FZ1000 could create 4K videos directly in H265 rather than in H264. Perhaps a new release in Panasonic plans for 2015?

Daniel

The Samsung NX1 camera provides h.265 encoding. It must have a very fast imaging processor to encode in real time. The problem is that most editing software does not support importing and editing h.265 video. I am sure it will be easier in the future.

Tom