WnSoft Forums

Viewfinder for Compact Cameras without EVF

Lin Evans

One of the ongoing issues for compact cameras which require the photographer to use the LCD as the viewfinder (that is no electronic or optical viewfinder) is that with the sun at our back and especially when low on the horizon which is often is at the "golden hour" for photography, it's nearly impossible to either frame the subject or see the menu options or settings presently on the camera. This makes for difficult and very annoying times. Plus, with these type cameras and those of us who are a few years older, we have to hold the camera at arms length trying to frame the image. In all, this is at best a really exasperating experience. It's much easier to get good images which we can support the camera close to our body and wouldn't it be really great if we could actuall SEE the danged LCD? There have been a number of solutions over the years and one which I have used since the days of the first digital cameras is one by Photosolve called the Xtend-a-View. This product was born from using the old slide viewers - you know the little optical device we used to look at our mounted slides without a projector? Phil Williams, owner and manager of Photosolve began making these viewers when no one else had anything like them. Now there are numerous version available and many cost as much as our compact cameras such as the Zacuto Z Finder which can sell for as much as $375.00 U.S.D. !! Fortunately, Photosolve still has the Xtend-a-View and their new Pro 3.0 model works perfectly with the new 3 inch high-resolution LCD displays on the back of many new compact cameras. My review below is specific to the three DP Merrill versions of Sigma's high resolution compact cameras, but the Xtenda-a-View Pro 3.0 with the Xtend-a-Mount Omni will work with about any compact camera having a tripod mount. So if you are having an issue seeing your subject and reading the LCD to make settings or see menus in bright sunlight - here's a solution!

As some may know, Sigma has produced an LCD "loupe" type viewfinder for the new Sigma DP Quattro camera, but nothing for the DP1m, DP2m or Dp3m compact cameras. The Sigma solution for the Quattro costs $300 plus shipping but thankfully there is a MUCH more economical solution for the DP Merrills. Over the last couple years I've tested numerous solutions for the DP Merrills, and have finally found the answer. I tried Hoodman, Carry-Speed, Zacuto and others but the best solution I've found is less expensive and works better. It's the Xtend-a-View Pro 3.0 by Photosolve. I've been using the Xtend-a-View line for many, many years with dozens of my digital cameras and have found them to be rugged, dependable and a fine solution. I finally talked to Phil Williams, the owner of Photosolve and tried his latest solution. It works perfectly! Follow the link below to my mini-review of this fine product. Though this review is specific to the Sigma Merrill cameras, the device works with virtually any compact camera.

http://www.lin-evans.org/xtend/index.htm

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks LIn; a very comprehensive article on a big, big problem.

Being over 70, and with sight difficulties, I gave up with any mirrorless camera .

Nevertheless I like the fully articulated screen and the problem still arises when I need the live view. And even worse for movie!

The solution you suggest seems very promising.

Do you think that this device may easily been installed (easily and not in a fixed mode) also on an articulated screen?

Thanks

Saluti

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

Yes, it can be installed using Velcro so that it can quickly be removed and replaced. It can also be simply held around your neck on a lanyard (a piece of cord which attached to the device via an adhesive pad) then just held up to the screen when you need it.

Best regards,

Lin