WnSoft Forums

Need for Categories?

Truelight

Forum Categories a top WnSoft Priority?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Forum Categories a top WnSoft Priority?

• 1. Absolutely ! Navigating the forum now is a real pain
    • 2. Yes, but I'd rather see improvements to PTE as top priority
    • 3. I can live with the forum how it is
    • 4. No, I like the current structure and prefer it be left this way
    • 5. Absolutely not! PTE updates are top priority

Perhaps if Igor and the WnSoft crew knew how we felt we might convince him to make organizing the forum a priority?? I thought I'd try the polling feature of this forum to see how it works and to also see if you concur that the forum really -does- need more organization if it's to be useful.

Truelight:

Thank you for setting up this poll. Before voting, I would like to indicate that probably you placed two things here that are equally important:

One is the forum and its present organization (therefore your good idea to have us voting) and another very different one is the development of PTE.

This said because the producer of PTE is not moderating the forum, so it will not take up his time and then slow down the development of PTE. I understand that the forum was set up by invitation by Igor, and that it is our responsbility to keep it going, and we inside happy.

So voting for both alternatives is the best way to say: I am very happy that Igor is devoted to PTE development and I am happy or unhappy on how the forum is organized and functioning.

I vote for both: Let Igor develope PTE, and maybe some of the founding fathers could moderate and organize. These forums allow to have several moderators, AND several sub-forums.

Regards, and thanks for the poll. I voted for a better organization of the forum, but will be happy that PTE is developing according to the vision of Igor and other perceptions of us in the wish-lists.

Regards

Ernst

I shall be nipping out later to find some railings so that I can chain myself to them as I have been denied a vote! I decided to have a look to see how other people have voted, and then when I returned to register my own opinion I was informed that I could not do so as I have already voted!

Disenfranchisedly,

Eddie ;)

I too had the same experience but as I was, I believe, the first to open the thread I think I had a vote recorded for me when I had not made my choice. I think my vote was recorded as either 1 or 2 as those were the only two votes shown. I would have voted 2.

Ron [uK]

Rudi's suggestion is a good one, but I, personally, don't want to be notified every time there is a change in the web site - just certain threads.

However, I no longer see a change in colour in a thread topic on the main menu after I have visited that thread, unless it is so faint I can't distinguish it on my hi-res monitor.

It used to be there with the old forum. I really miss this feature, as I used it to identify when there was a new message in the thread. I wonder if it could be added back on.

Separating the forum into different topics would help some in keeping track of interesting threads, PROVIDED members use them as intended.

Ciao,

Al

Rudi's suggestion is a good one, but I, personally, don't want to be notified every time there is a change in the web site - just certain threads.
alrobin,

I'm not being notified automatically everytime, a change occurs. I just make an update a day and then I see in colorized backgrounds within WebSite-Watcher, what has changed and what hasn't. By doing that, I can decide, which threads to include in the WebSite-Watcher and which not.

This way, I directly can browse to the really updated pages and don't have to surf to pages, where nothing has changed meanwhile.

Thanks, Rudi

I think I understand now how it works. Sounds like a useful system. Especially the ability to choose threads to watch. Sounds similar to the method used in the Usenet group forums.

The present PTE forum automatically moves a thread, where there has been an addition, to the top of the list, so that is what I currently use for "notification" about additions.

However, I believe, as some have mentioned many times, that the system would be improved by the addition of sub-categories for threads. One, as we have now, is just not sufficient.

I would also be interested in knowing if the present system highlights threads which have been visited. My pc doesn't show them, so maybe I have to set something in my properties? It works with other forums, though, so why not here?

Ciao,

Al

This is not necessarily a complete solution, but when you log on to the forum, the software puts a little down-pointing blue arrow just before the thread name for all threads that have had additions since you last visited the forum. If you click on this blue arrow, you are taken to the messages added since your last visit.

The reason that this is not a complete solution is that if you don't visit all the threads with new messages before logging off the forum again, the forum software will not track this and will not put the blue arrow there the next time you log on unless there have been additonal new messages posted.

I find this helps a lot, though.

Harold