WnSoft Forums

Create default choice for folder that displays in the File List

Greetings,

Most of the time, when I do a File/Open Recent Project, the File List will return to the folder where the files have been used before to create the project. However, for whatever reason, many times it does not. I can Open Recent Project and the File List does not show the files used in that project. It shows some other project's folder. Even though the project's folder location did not change, the File List loses the original association to the folder used.

We are constantly told we should keep all of the files used for a project in the same folder (usually in the same folder where the .pte file was saved). Doing this alleviates many problems. I know some of the users do not do this. I am suggesting that the default folder for what shows in the File List is what is shown in the 'ProjectFilePath=... .pte' line of the .pte file.

I would like this choice to be selectable in the Settings/Preferences tab. For those who don't want this for their work process, this can be unchecked.

I bring this up again because I just updated to 8.0.14 and I this problem still occurs. Yes, I had all the items checked to keep associations when it was updated.

Gary

Gary,

Just tried a little test.

Started a new project and saved it in an obscure folder.

Closed PTE and re-opened by double clicking on another project in my usual folder.

When opened I went to File/Open Recent Project and, sure enough, there was the project I had just saved in the obscure folder.

One thing to note, the Recent Files List will not list recent projects that were closed without being saved.

It works OK here.

I think that it would help if you could detail a specific instance when it will not appear?

DG

Gary,

Just tried a little test.

Started a new project and saved it in an obscure folder.

Closed PTE and re-opened by double clicking on another project in my usual folder.

When opened I went to File/Open Recent Project and, sure enough, there was the project I had just saved in the obscure folder.

One thing to note, the Recent Files List will not list recent projects that were closed without being saved.

It works OK here.

I think that it would help if you could detail a specific instance when it will not appear?

DG

Dave,

Yes, it does work...most of the time. But there are many times, even though the project had been saved many times to the same folder, I open the pte file and the File List is incorrect. This happens whether I use Open Recent Project or I go through MyComputer to open the project. I know the file had been Saved because I had created the exe and the MP4 for the project. It is such a simple solution to this problem. Let the default folder for each project be based upon what is in the "ProjectFilePath=... .pte" line. Let it be a selection so if someone does not want that as a default, it can be unchecked. This has been going on for many years with PTE and even Igor has mentioned it would be fixed. But it has not.

What if you went to open a recent Excel or Word file and it opened the incorrect file and you had to go back and do a File Open to find it? What is strange is if the File List shows the incorrect folder for the project and I, then, browse to the correct folder and then close PTE without saving the project, when I open the same project, the correct folder shows up in the File List. So something is making it lose the correct association for the folder that should show up in the File List. Not every time, but enough that it should and can be fixed by letting us select the default File List folder for each project. And the original default folder location for new projects should be what is in the ProjectFilePath=...pte file, until it is changed by the user.

Gary