WnSoft Forums

Video Converter and CamStudio AVI

Tonton Bruno

Hello.

I have a problem with AVI files generated by CAM Studio.

When I try to cut them using Video Converter, the sound is no longer synchronized.

Under CAM Studio, I use "x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-A AVC codec".

could you suggest me an other Codec to use ?

Thanks for your help.

I tried to use PTE codec with CAM studio, but the screen image seems to be not recorded.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hello.

I have a problem with AVI files generated by CAM Studio.

When I try to cut them using Video Converter, the sound is no longer synchronized.

Under CAM Studio, I use "x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-A AVC codec".

could you suggest me an other Codec to use ?

Thanks for your help.

I tried to use PTE codec with CAM studio, but the screen image seems to be not recorded.

Hi Tonton Bruno

Are you referring to "Camtasia Studio" screen recoder. If you are, is it the latest version 8.5. I have just been doing some tests using Camtasia & PTE, no problems with sound synchronisation?

Yachtsman1.

It has been many years since I have used CamStudio. From what I can tell on their web site it is not actively being developed. I have no solution to your problem but I am not surprised it is not working properly. If you use a different video editor on the file does the sound stay synchronized or is it just Video Converter that does not work properly?

There are many alternatives available you might want to try.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18447-question-about-video-screen-capture-tools/

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tonton,

Very nice screen recording. Your spoken English is perfect. I like the rectangular shape cube. You might want to record a short example that has the sound synchronization problem and upload to dropbox and send Igor the link. He might be able to fix the problem in VC or suggest a better codec.

Thanks,

Tom

You can upload to a free web file sharing service like https://www.mediafire.com/ (basic plan). There is also https://www.dropbox.com/ and https://onedrive.live.com. After you upload you can share a link with Igor by private message or post a public message in this subforum.

Tom

Hi, Ken.

I plan to send the original file of the example I have already posted in this topic:

The original file is 19 MB length, and I can't edit it correctly under PTE Video Converter.

My original PTE project is here, in french, of course.

I synchronize two videos: one from my camera, and the other one from Camstudio.

If you read the file during 2 or 3 minutes, you will understand what I do under PTE, even if you don't understand the topic!

I put the two videos in the same view, and I alternate the display of each video using Key points and Opacity.

I keep only the sound of the Camstudio video.

Everything runs fine in preview mode, but if I generate a MP4 file, I have no sound !

I extracted the sound from the video with Audacity and add it as a sound file under PTE, so I was able to create my Youtube project.

I decided to prepare a short extract of these videos, only 30s, in order to submit the reduced project to Igor, but when I tried to edit the Camstudio video, I discoverd the bug.

I presume that this bug which is at the origin of all my problems.

Guest Yachtsman1

"Everything runs fine in preview mode, but if I generate a MP4 file, I have no sound !"

Assuming you are generating the MP4 in PTE using the Produce feature, I reported last year & again in the last couple of weeks where the sound is lost when producing an MP4. I sent the file to Igor but he couldn't fault it, then the sound came back. I have 2 solutions you could try. 1, re-name the show before making the MP4, 2. Close the show then re-open before producing the MP4. If you go the route of sending the file to Igor, zip it first.

See http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18416-missing-sound-on-publishing-video-partially-solved/

Yachtsman1.

TONTON

to help Igor you will have to give him as much info as possible

I don't have to know anything about your program, but I do know in order to get an answer you have to provide as much info as possible to Igor/forum.

ken

TONTON

to help Igor you will have to give him as much info as possible

I don't have to know anything about your program, but I do know in order to get an answer you have to provide as much info as possible to Igor/forum.

ken

Ken, I am ready to send all the needed files to any PTE developper, but presently, no developper participated to this topic.

After several trials, I discovered that there are two diferent problems.

Problem 1 :
Impossible to edit correctly with PTE converter an AVI file generated by Camstudio.
Workaround solution:
Edit it with Freemake Video Converter.

Problem 2 :

When I put 2 videos of 5-6 minutes into 1 view, everything is correct for my exe file, but I lost the video sound when I generate a MP4 file.

Workaround solution:
Extract the sound from the video from Audacity,
Cut the original sound of the two videos,
Add a separate sound file in PTE project.

In fact, everytime we want to work seriously on a video sound, the best way is to extract it in a separate file, because this allow us to ajust the volume.
This is why even if problem 2 is a real problem, it is a minor one.

I will try to describe that I did in my project.

I made simultaneously two videos: one from my camera, and the other with Camstudio,.
I insert the two videos in one PTE view and I synchronize them.
The sound from the first video is cut.
We hear only the sound from the second video.

The video from the camera is on top and this is what we see during 2 minutes.

post-9190-0-04370400-1432184385_thumb.jp

Then The opacity of video 1 is set to 0 and we see video 2 (my PC screen).

post-9190-0-75216300-1432184579_thumb.jp

At 03.39.148 there is a new keypoint.

post-9190-0-79156200-1432184680_thumb.jp

And at 03.39.648 yher is an other keypoint with Opacity = 100%

post-9190-0-21386900-1432184785_thumb.jp

I tried with other video files on a new project and the problem remains the same.

I tried with two short videos of 1 minutes and there were no problem.

I saved my project as a template to be able to send it to Igor, and I discovered that only the first video was copied...

Guest Yachtsman1

Just did a quick check on Fraps, took one of their sample videos running at 60FPS, looks ok. Cost £24 with free lifetime up-dates.

See http://www.fraps.com/ The test would be to see if it handles PTE's standard transmissions, in particular "PUSH".

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-26846700-1432297366_thumb.jp

Hi Tonton,

Excuse me for late response, I caught a cold.

I confirm the problem with editing of some video files in PicturesToExe VideoConvertor.

We're replacing video encoders and decoders in future version(s) of PicturesToExe now and I hope that it should solve these issues.

Thank you for your answer, Igor.

Take care of your health !

As I said yesterday, I use now a new video screen capture fully handled by PTE VideoConverter, so it's no longer a problem for me.

Concerning the fact that I lost the sound of one video when two videos are played simultaneously during several minutes in a sole view, this is not a major concern, because the best way to manage the sound is to extract it from the video and insert it into PTE as a sound file.

Just did a quick check on Fraps, took one of their sample videos running at 60FPS, looks ok. Cost £24 with free lifetime up-dates.

See http://www.fraps.com/ The test would be to see if it handles PTE's standard transmissions, in particular "PUSH".

Yachtsman1.

attachicon.giffraps1.jpg

Hello yachtsman1.

I posted two examples in the appropriate topic, one at 60 fps and the other at 30 fps.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18447-question-about-video-screen-capture-tools/page-3#entry123018

I purchased a copy of Fraps about 5 years ago. Fraps is great if your operating system is Windows 7 and you don't mind the large files that require compression into a smaller format. Fraps 3.5.99 does not support Windows 8 completely. It has not been updated in over 2 years. I am hoping 3.6 comes out this year and supports Windows 8 and Windows 10. HDMI recording devices work but are more expensive than Fraps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraps

Tom

Update 26/5/2015 Email response from Fraps support

Thanks for your inquiry. Our developers are currently working on the next version of Fraps (3.6.0) which will include official support for Windows 8 as well as other minor bug fixes and improvements. Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with a release date, however we do hope to have it available for download from our website in the near future. I apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Hello Tom.

I share your analysis.

For 30€, Fraps works fine with Windows 7.

The size of the generated files has to be optimised under PTE VideoConverter, but this is not really a problem for a tutorial, assuming that a good tutorial duration is between 5 to 10 minutes. If your tutorial lasts more, you do better to split it in several tutorials.

If you are ready to pay 5 to 20 times more, you can buy a 4K HDMI device, but this is an other story !