WnSoft Forums

USB Capture

DawnG

I hope I am not showing my 'green' too much by asking this, but I made a mistake of buying some other software and will be returning it pronto. MAGIX is awful from every angle! I am trying to convert old VHS footage to dvd, and have been looking in all the usual places for a good quality USB Video Capture Adapter. Reading a lot of mixed reviews, it seems the software is usually the Achille's heel of the set up. Then I got to thinkin'.....since PTE works with different formats, does it work with this type of production?

If not, can anyone tell me what has worked for you? Thanks! :)

Guest Yachtsman1

I hope I am not showing my 'green' too much by asking this, but I made a mistake of buying some other software and will be returning it pronto. MAGIX is awful from every angle! I am trying to convert old VHS footage to dvd, and have been looking in all the usual places for a good quality USB Video Capture Adapter. Reading a lot of mixed reviews, it seems the software is usually the Achille's heel of the set up. Then I got to thinkin'.....since PTE works with different formats, does it work with this type of production?

If not, can anyone tell me what has worked for you? Thanks! :)

Hi Dawn

Take a look at this thread, the devise I used is listed there. http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18262-vhs-to-mp4-andor-dvd/

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dawn

Take a look at this thread, the devise I used is listed there. http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18262-vhs-to-mp4-andor-dvd/

Yachtsman1

Just checked my link in the thread & it looks like the one I bought is unavailable, did a search & came up with this one that looks identical. http://www.amazon.co.uk/CONVERTER-AUDIO-VIDEO-CAPTURE-ADAPTER/dp/B00XHLVLBG/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1434144801&sr=1-3&keywords=vhs+to+dvd+converter

Yachtsman1.

Should have checked where you live Dawn, suggest you check Amazon USA.

Hi and THANKS Yachtsman :) Actually I saw it UK, and went to the USA store across the street :) In stock! I read a lot of the reviews and it seems the latest ones are the most positive about it....the older ones are not so glowing. Guess some improvements have been made.

So I am guessing I can edit and convert right through PTE? What file format will I be working with coming from a Panasonic VHS deck? With the junky software I bought it came through as .mxv format...and no matter what settings I made it kept giving me the error saying the file could not be read. This is all new to me, and all I want to do of course is salvage some old family memories oh archaic video tape lol

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dawn

I converted my VHSc tapes to MP4, which I then converted/edited in PTE & compiled into a one hour show. What I'm not sure with your devise, whether you have to take into account the PAL/SECAM factor. I assume your Panasonic VHS player will handle both?

Yachtsman1.

I guess what I am asking is did you need additional software to import the vhs files to convert to mp4? I just need to know what to look for. I found this http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/index.html but didn't know if I needed it when I had PTE. But I am guessing PTE is really only good for editing in this application :)

Hi Dawn, I use a device named "Dazzle DVD Recorder" it is a capture device, and came with Pinnacle Studio.

I must admit, I haven't used it in a while, and need to get back to transfering my old VHS tapes.

I hope this helps, best regards, Robert.

post-3410-0-11126900-1434203688_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I guess what I am asking is did you need additional software to import the vhs files to convert to mp4? I just need to know what to look for. I found this http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/index.html but didn't know if I needed it when I had PTE. But I am guessing PTE is really only good for editing in this application :)

Hi Dawn

The capture hardware I used came with its own software, look at the Amazon links, both say the software is provided. So in essence install the software that comes with the capture hardware, connect the capture devise between your VHS player & PC & follow the instructions.

Yachtsman1.

This link is to the Amazon US site http://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100-Video-Capture-Device/dp/B008F0SARC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434204471&sr=8-1&keywords=vhs+to+dvd+capture

& this is the description-

"Transfer videos from VHS and camcorders straight to your PC hard drive.

The August VGB100 video capture card is the simple solution for digitising your old analogue videos. Turn VHS tapes into MPEG's to preserve your memories.

To transfer files from VCR's, DVD players, set-top boxes and camcorders simply connect them via the RGB or S-Video inputs and use the straight forward software to create digital video in your choice of format.

With digital files, you are free to share your memories via facebook and youtube, stream them to your Smart TV and create edited highlight reels using the provided software.

With the VGB100, you aren't limited to digital video capture, audio and digital stills can also be created from your video tapes."

Hi Dawn

The capture hardware I used came with its own software, look at the Amazon links, both say the software is provided. So in essence install the software that comes with the capture hardware, connect the capture devise between your VHS player & PC & follow the instructions.

Yachtsman1.

DUH....you're absolutely right Yachtsman....I was not thinking! The software I posted above required separate hardware so I forgot most capture devices have software included. Thanks!

Hi Dawn, I use a device named "Dazzle DVD Recorder" it is a capture device, and came with Pinnacle Studio.

I must admit, I haven't used it in a while, and need to get back to transfering my old VHS tapes.

I hope this helps, best regards, Robert.

attachicon.gifDazzle0001 copy.jpg

Thanks so much Robert....will check it out! This is all new to me....lotsa homework to do I guess lol

• 2 weeks later...

additional info

Burn Home Movies to DVD with Creator NXT 3‏

Creator NXT 3

Turn up the creativity with Roxio Creator NXT 3, the complete digital media suite. Record directly from your screen with new Live Screen Capture. Make a movie in just three steps with new FastFlick. Plus, edit photos, convert and burn media files, and share with ease on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iPhone 6, iPad, the latest devices, and social sites.

years ago i used their product converting vhs tapes of family growing up))

ken