WnSoft Forums

Wide AVI production in PTE 8.0.17

stockton3d

I need to produce an AVI file of wide screen slide shows.

Screen size is 3840 x 1080 for 3D stereo (two 1920 x 1080 side by side scenes in one screen).

Even just one slide at this size crashes PTE 8.0.11 to 8.0.17 when trying to produce the AVI file, the processing window declares 0% progress, and an error window appears behind all other windows saying ACCESS VIOLATION AT ADDRESS 00403287 IN MODULE 'PICTURES TO EXE'. WRITE OF ADDRESS 04C7A000.

My computer is 4Gb RAM, Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, HD graphics, 500Gb HD.

This problem also occurs with PTE 8 on two other bigger/faster computers with big memories and 2Gb video cards, running Windows 7, but with different ADDRESS VALUES to the above.

PTE 8 on all tested computers works perfectly for making 3840 x 1080 EXE files, or HD Video files of .MP4 etc, but NOT FOR AVI wide screen files as noted above.

Earlier versions of PTE such as v6 or v7 both do work perfectly and produce the wide 3840 x 1080 AVI files as needed above.

Any help would be useful in solving this problem on PTE 8 only.

Ray

post-12129-0-00648400-1436650373_thumb.j

post-12129-0-42672100-1436650390_thumb.j

post-12129-0-67717500-1436650406_thumb.j

Hello Stockton 3d

In my point of view there is a big difference between creating Exe files and video files :

- creating Exe files does not need to re-encode jpeg pictures which are incorporated as they are.

- creating video files requires to re-encode all jpeg pictures, transitions, and effects within a video codec. As far as I know, the Advanced Simple Profile (Mpeg4 part 2) provided for creating video file AVI does not support this type of 3D format. So you should have to select custom option + custom video+audio codecs but in such a case you will need to install on your PC a third party 3d video codec able to make the job.

Best regards

Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. However there is no need for any special 3D codec, the requirement is simply to produce a wide AVI screen size of 3840 x 1080, and no special codecs are required, it is just a wide screen size. The fact it will be used by Stereoscopic Player for a 3D show is secondary, and of no interest to PTE. Previous versions of PTE such as 6.0 and 7.5 both work perfectly in producing this wide screen format AVI, but PTE 8 does not, despite the specification of the AVI output requirement being the same in all three versions of PTE that I've used.

If you have PTE 8, try creating a PTE show of just one JPG slide 3840 x 1080, with PTE screen size 3840 x 1080, and then Publish an AVI file of 3840 x 1080 screen size. It crashes for me and my two friends. PTE 6 and PTE 7 do not crash, they work correctly.

Cheers,

Ray

Stockton,

"If you have PTE 8, try creating a PTE show of just one JPG slide 3840 x 1080, with PTE screen size 3840 x 1080, and then Publish an AVI file of 3840 x 1080 screen size."

I opened a new project 3840x1080, added a blank slide to the Slide List. In O&A I added two images to the blank slide.

I published as an AVI with no error.

However nothing that I have will play the AVI?

Windows Vista Laptop.

DG

P.S. Some screen shots would help? Your settings in Publish and a shot of the O&A screen.

Hi Dave Gee,

I think we are getting somewhere.

I was trying to use the standard 3840 x 1080 option on the AVI publishing window, as shown in the JPG on my original query above.

I have now as you suggested tried to use the Custom option, and the resultant window is as shown below.

There is a PADLOCK symbol next to the WIDTH box, and I cannot get any size more than 1920 in there.

Any idea how to get the padlock off?

Ray

post-12129-0-61886300-1436727529_thumb.j

Ray,

What audio and video codecs were used in PTE 6 and 7.5 when it was successful? What happens if you select one of those codecs in PTE v8? (Note: I am assuming that PTE v8 is using a different codec to PTE v6 or v7.5)

Hi Dave Gee,

I think we are getting somewhere.

I was trying to use the standard 3840 x 1080 option on the AVI publishing window, as shown in the JPG on my original query above.

I have now as you suggested tried to use the Custom option, and the resultant window is as shown below.

There is a PADLOCK symbol next to the WIDTH box, and I cannot get any size more than 1920 in there.

Any idea how to get the padlock off?

Ray

Just click on the Padlock.

post-2488-0-37891500-1436736087_thumb.jp

DG

P.S. This is just my personal opinion - it is not a good idea to save this sort of file to your C drive. Don't you have a DATA drive?

Hi Again.

IT seems that the padlock is just a way of keeping the aspect ratio constant. Clicking the padlock off allows width and height values to change independently.

On reading the PTE 8 user guide, I see that SD and HD are the only options mentioned for AVI video. It seems that PTE 8 has a maximum of 1920 width for AVI video.

However, on thePT 8 AVI publishing window, the presets are much bigger, all the way up to 3840 x 1080 (see screen dump below).

I cannot resolve this discrepancy between large stated presets that crash, and custom width restricted to 1920.

PT 6 had no such restriction, it was and still is the standard downloaded version on my laptop, an it does 3840 x 1080 AVI straight off. However, PT 6 has no facility for including video in the shows, whereas PTE 8 does. Maybe that is why PTE 8 is restricted now on AVI video production.

PTE 8 does still however do 3840 x 1080 on the HD VIDEO option, producing MP4 video files quite easily. Maybe I should get a video converter program, and just accept MP4 files produced by PTE 8 and convert them to AVI by a third party product?

post-12129-0-09442100-1436742416_thumb.j

Ray,

The avi is around 70mb.

In the avi publish I set Custom, click on the padlock, enter 3840x1080, accept everything else and hit OK.

It just does it. I indicated that I used a Vista laptop. There could be differences with W7/8 etc. You can't assume that just because it will or will not happen on one computer that it will or will not happen on all computers. I found that out a long time ago. If I get a problem with my W7 pc I usually check on my Vista laptop or my legacy XP PC before proceeding.

I will check it on my W7 pc as soon as I can get my grand-daughter off my desk. :)

DG

P.s. it is not a good idea to post your email address like that. :)

Hi DG,

I've deleted the last post with my email address on it for security reasons as you suggest.

Yes there's something odd here, Both my laptop and Tower 16Gb RAM are Windows7 and they both cannot go over 1920 width or over 1080 height on the AVI Custom in PTE 8, whereas you can. Everything on the AVI custom screen is identical here to your screenshot, except for the width and height values that I cannot exceed, with the padlock on or off.

Ray

OK,

I have looked more closely and I think that you are right.

Although my settings were 3840x1080 I looked at the properties of the published AVI and shows the 3840x1080 aspect ratio in a 1920x1080 frame.

In the case of the Vista Published AVI the frame size was the correct AR but the resolution is showing as 1920x540.

Maybe Igor can offer an explanation.

DG

OK,

I have looked more closely and I think that you are right.

Although my settings were 3840x1080 I looked at the properties of the published AVI and shows the 3840x1080 aspect ratio in a 1920x1080 frame.

In the case of the Vista Published AVI the frame size was the correct AR but the resolution is showing as 1920x540.

Maybe Igor can offer an explanation.

DG

Dave, I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere : using ASP Mpeg4 coder that wants to say there is a video encoding process but Ray said he does not need a video encoding so why using ASP coder in such a case? as I said in my previous past ASP does not support such 3840x1080 video profile so I am not very surprise by your result.

In my opinion in your test, the PTE videoconverter seemed to accept creating a 3840x1080 but in fact it creates a 1920x1080 video.

That is the PTE error! It should limit to 1920. Am I wrong?

Daniel

Daniel,

I explained that it "appeared" to save the 3840x1080 file but on closer inspection it saved it as either 1920x540 or 1920x1080 (Vista/W7).

I was surprised that it did so.

Ray did not indicate which Codec he used so I had to go with the PTE default. I don't save such exotic resolutions and neither do I use anything other than the default PTE Codecs.

I was merely trying to help to prove whether the problem was Ray's PC or PTE's.

I found it strange that he got error messages and I did not??

DG

Ray did not indicate which Codec he used so I had to go with the PTE default. I don't save such exotic resolutions and neither do I use anything other than the default PTE Codecs.

see here...http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18530-wide-avi-production-in-pte-8017/?p=123405

I do not remember which options were available with V6 but, since a long time ago, PTE is able to work as a frame server (see attachments on my second post) for a third party video editing software and I guess Ray was used to work with that feature but that is just an assumption.

On the other hand, was Mpeg4 ASP option available within V6 for creating AVI video files ? I think not yet...? but in any case, as far as I know, it was not able to encode such type of videos.

At that time, the only problem I see with v8 is the absence of limitation for the width of the video image (customer choices) .

Daniel

Hi All,

On the PTE v6.0 program, I created a 3840 x 1080 AVI video easily, with no added software to the basic PTE program or anything else. I just went to the CREATE menu, chose AVI, and see the screen dumps below. The codec is Xvid-MPEG 4. It works with other codecs too, or indeed with no compression at all (but the latter give a huge video file size). The output AVI video in indeed 3840 x 1080 as confirmed by the AVI file's properties box, exactly like it ought to be.

On PTE v8.0.17 as noted on post#1 above, on my computer, trying the same approach using the PUBLISH menu to create an AVI file, either PTE v8 crashes on trying the preset 3804 x 1080 size, or it will only allow a maximum of 1920 x 1080 in the CUSTOM option with any codec or even with no compression.

I can only conclude that PTE v8 has been made to publish a maximum 1920 x 1080 AVI files, despite the existence of presets up to 3840 x 1080 in the PTE v8 AVI window's menus. Igor has been informed and he will respond I'm sure when he's had a look at this problem.

There's no such restriction to 1920 x 1080 on PTE v8 publishing an HD VIDEO for PC or Mac giving an MP4 file. But I need an AVI file, just like I used to get from PTE v6. I hope that either Igor can issue a new version of PTE v8 to restore the bigger AVI file sizes, or incorporate such a wider AVI size of 3840 x 1080 in PTE v9.

Ray

post-12129-0-42411100-1436905596_thumb.j

Hi Ray,

I have made the exercise to create such a video file in 3840x1080 (32/9) format and reach the same results as yours.

Although, as far as I know, nothing has been specified neither by ISO mpeg4 part10 or ITU h264 expert groups nor by PTE team, I succeed to create a 3840x1080 mp4 (h264) video file using create "HD video" feature.

So if you want to get an AVI video file you can easily convert your mp4 file into AVI. I may suggest to use the licence free Avidemux software (one portable version exists). After opening your file you have to select the outputs video=copy (the video is not re-encoded) audio-copy and AVI muxer for the output format then save your AVI video file. It works. I can guess that you probably could use, as well, the frame server option (creating customized AVI video) + Virtualdub but, sorry, I have not made the test.

But you have also to consider that is a specific need for which there was no commitments so that is up to Igor's team to decide if they want to add this new feature or not.

The only thing I have noticed as an error, is the no limitation of video width parameter, using creating AVI video file

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes thanks for the link to converter software from Sourceforge, it works fine. I did have another old converter program, but it was so slow that I did not like using it.

On the subject of 3840 x 1080 AVI, I do think that it was a backward step to restrict the output to 1920 wide in the current PTE v8, after it was un-restricted in earlier versions of PTE that I have been using up to now (e.g. PTE v6).

On top of that, with the availability of 4K and even 8K TV sets, I think that any PTE show should allow such high density screen sizes in any video output format.

Ray

Hi Daniel,

Yes thanks for the link to converter software from Sourceforge, it works fine. I did have another old converter program, but it was so slow that I did not like using it.

On the subject of 3840 x 1080 AVI, I do think that it was a backward step to restrict the output to 1920 wide in the current PTE v8, after it was un-restricted in earlier versions of PTE that I have been using up to now (e.g. PTE v6).

On top of that, with the availability of 4K and even 8K TV sets, I think that any PTE show should allow such high density screen sizes in any video output format.

Ray

Hi Ray,

just dont forget that 32/9 has never been a screen format supported by PTE (see project options) and 4K and 8K are only specified for 16/9 . So you will be lucky if PTE team can solve your problem with 32/9 screen size.

As you, I expect that Igor will take 4K/h265 16/9 into account in the next PTE v9 release.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

On the subject of supporting very wide screen formats, I just tried out 7680 x 2160 on PTE v6.0

PTE v6.0 creates a perfect AVI file of full 7680 x 2160 size as shown on the screenshot below. And it plays OK too.

So the earlier version PTE v 6.0 did support very wide video sizes. I only wish PTE v8 had continued to do so.

Ray

post-12129-0-16814000-1437237106_thumb.j

Hello Ray,

Currently PicturesToExe officially supports only video up to 1920x1080. The existing version of ffmpeg codecs may work unstable with higher resolutions. Regrettably we can't do anything with this problem.

I recommend to wait for the future version 9.0 which uses newest ffmpeg codecs and try it.