WnSoft Forums

Video Clip Timings

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I'm using version 8.0.17 & in the early stages of a new show, my first in this version I think. I have a video background slide 3m 25s converted & edited in PTE, onto which I am inserting various home produced video clips again edited in PTE. I noticed when I previewed the first clip, which is only 6 seconds I didn't see any movement. I highlighted the clip in the O&A screen & changed the transition to quick & the transition time to zero. I then played the show from the start & it whizzed through in a couple of seconds. On checking the main slide time original 3m 25s, I found this had been reduced to a couple of seconds without any action from me. I then tried inserting clips 2 & 3 & the same thing happened. Also when I highlight the 1st clip, & open slide options, it is showing the name of the main background slide, not the clip I'm trying to change the time of. I've done this previously on a number of occasions but don't recall having this problem. I use a template for all my new shows & transfer the settings from the previous version when downloading a new version. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-47429600-1438903055_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

It sounds like you haven't correctly set the background video to Master so that it runs across multiple slides.(Objects and Animations) Properties Tab, select video then change Single Video Clip to Master video track. You need to copy and paste this master to each slide. Set the timing on the slide option to the actual time you want the additional video clip or still slide to run and if you want the main video clip to run its full extent, then the total time of the other videos and still slides need to equal the full run time of the master. The master slide will continue to run uninterrupted as the stills and other video slides (link the other videos to the master) continue to sequence.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

Thanks for the response. As I said in my first report, I have used this show technique numerous times & never experienced what happened. Neither have I had to set the main video clip as the master, only in the early stages of PTE development when video was first introduced, as I recall? I have attached further screen shots of the settings in the show & my preferences. Under the templates section it says blank, whereas I assumed I had a basic template in there that was carried on from series to series & maintained the settings, although my settings have been maintained. Maybe I am getting the terminology wrong & there isn't a problem (just an Eric), but in my mind something has happened that hasn't happened before & I can't understand why. Could it be that the setting of the main video clip as the master has been made compulsory?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-01210600-1438930847_thumb.jppost-5560-0-50753300-1438930861_thumb.jppost-5560-0-86304800-1438930895_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

You need to copy and paste this master to each slide. Set the timing on the slide option to the actual time you want the additional video clip or still slide to run and if you want the main video clip to run its full extent, then the total time of the other videos and still slides need to equal the full run time of the master.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Just had another play around with this, & I don't recognise the statement above about "copying & pasting the master in each slide", I've certainly never had to do that previously. I don't see how that can be done as I am building the show gradually by first inserting the master clip, then the first sub clip by selecting, clicking the vid' icon, selecting the 1st sub clip, then positioning it on the timeline where I want it to appear, then continuing with the second clip & so on?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Lin,

I would add the main images/video clips first and allow the video clips to control the slide duration(s).

Then, in O&A, the background video can be added to the first slide and copied to subsequent slides using the Master and "link to" properties. I don't remember it ever being any other way?

DG

P.S. I read your post again and, unless I missed something, you have not mentioned that all instances of the background video (other than the Master) would be set to "link to" the Master.

P.P.S I just realised that when you copy and paste a video clip which has been designated as master to another slide the "Link to..." is done automatically. I will try to include that in the Help File.

Guest Yachtsman1

Lin,

I would add the main images/video clips first and allow the video clips to control the slide duration(s).

Then, in O&A, the background video can be added to the first slide and copied to subsequent slides using the Master and "link to" properties. I don't remember it ever being any other way?

DG

P.S. I read your post again and, unless I missed something, you have not mentioned that all instances of the background video (other than the Master) would be set to "link to" the Master.

This is another function I have never used "Link to" before in the previous shows I have made using the same techniques. I have just tried linking the three clips sdv 1 2 & 3, test running from the start in O&A, when the background video clip reaches the first sdv 1, it freezes the background video clip, so something isn't right there?

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-98091900-1438937421_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Just tried unlinking the 3 clips & the background clip still freezes 6+ seconds into the show, for some reason the time of the master video clip in the properties tab has changed from 3.25 minutes which is the correct time, to 6+ seconds, something is definitely amiss???

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-17239200-1438938484_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Linking a SINGLE (background) video across MULTIPLE short slides:

attachicon.gifLinking.jpgattachicon.gifLinking2.jpgattachicon.gifLinking3.jpg

Mine aren't slides they are video clips? If you look at the screen shot in my previous post the master slide time is showing correct along the bottom row. but in the properties tab it shows 6 seconds?

Yachtsman1 Off to the doc's now back later.

post-5560-0-40890200-1438941111_thumb.jp

A slide containing a video clip is still a slide.

Can I suggest that you try to replicate my example with your video clip as a test?

Add three blank slides to the slide list 7 - 20 seconds - in O&A add the video to slides 1, 2 and 3 - make the video clip in slide 1 the Master - make the video clips in slides 2 and 3 "Link to [the video in slide 1]" using the dropdown menu.

P.S. If you drag a video clip into the Slide List it will create a slide with the Slide Duration = Video Clip Duration. If you add a video clip to a Slide in O&A its duration is governed by the Slide Duration. By adding the video clip to the next Slide and Linking as shown above it will play continuously for the duration of the two slides and so on.

To play a 3m 25s video over multiple slides (with sound) in the background you would need to do this for 34 slides at 6s per slide.

I would complete the show WITHOUT the background Video Clip (in this instance) and add it at the very end (because the Slide Durations of all slides will be governed by other images and Video Clips). Add it to slide 1 (Master). Copy and paste to slide 2 and set "Link to etc". Copy the video from Slide 2 to all subsequent slides. The "Link to" command should go with it.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just back from a traumatic visit to the doc & chemist, doc's pharmacy defunct, chemist next door only had half of our scripts, going to Spain Sunday. This problem with PTE I could do without. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Read the proffered suggestions, which conflict with how I usually put this type of show together, so as usual, as Frank S' used to say, I did it my way.

Removed all the stills & video clips from the show with the exception of a "blank main blank" combo, ran the show from the O&A screen, froze at 6 seconds :angry:, same in the mini player, removed all the clips/slides, re-added the blanks & video background clip from the slide list, the show now runs for the correct length.

Added a video clip, not as a child of the main clip, a stand alone, didn't set the master video track or the single video clip.

Set the video clip to run a second less than its actual run length, set it to appear 12 seconds into the show & disappear 12 seconds later.

All appears to be operating as I would expect.

So, deleting all the work from the show & starting back from scratch appears to have cured what was wrong.

In the original I had 4 video clips & 12 still slides + 5 batches of text all appearing & disappearing independently, so it was a quite complicated sequence, somehow one of the elements conflicted with how I usually do things, what it was is a mystery.

So when I've calmed down, I will proceed slowly adding the various additional elements & testing after each element to see if I can pin down what went wrong, assuming I did do something wrong?

If I didn't do something different to the 30 odd shows I've made using this way of doing things, something has changed in the current series :unsure: maybe?

Roll on Sunday & a relaxing drive to Birmingham Airport, where they are looking after my car for 7 days for the extortionate sum of £86, a flight to Gibraltar with Monarch for £360 each + £44 each, each way, to make sure we can sit together there & back + £80 to stow a suitcase each there and back. Hiring a Goldcar car for 7 days, where the "all in" insurance is more expensive than the hire charge & the printer spewed out 5 pages of conditions when I printed the booking confirmation.

It makes the stay in our hotel in Algeciras at £380 including breakfast for 7 nights seem cheap?

Things were much simpler when we lived aboard & took our lodgings with us :D,--- if I remember rightly!!! :unsure:

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-41088700-1438954000_thumb.jp

Lin,

DG

Hi Dave,

That happens automatically if you copy/paste the master to subsequent slides. It's not necessary to set the file manually when the master is copy/pasted to the rest...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for the response. As I said in my first report, I have used this show technique numerous times & never experienced what happened. Neither have I had to set the main video clip as the master, only in the early stages of PTE development when video was first introduced, as I recall? I have attached further screen shots of the settings in the show & my preferences. Under the templates section it says blank, whereas I assumed I had a basic template in there that was carried on from series to series & maintained the settings, although my settings have been maintained. Maybe I am getting the terminology wrong & there isn't a problem (just an Eric), but in my mind something has happened that hasn't happened before & I can't understand why. Could it be that the setting of the main video clip as the master has been made compulsory?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

attachicon.gifvcp2.jpgattachicon.gifvcp3.jpgattachicon.gifvcp4_edited-1.jpg

Hi Eric,

Actually, without looking at your earlier PTE files I can't be certain what you were doing but this is the way PTE has always worked. If you want a video to run in the background with other videos or still slides sequencing, the original video which you want to keep running must be set as the master video. Whenever this master is copy/pasted to subsequent slides, it will automatically be linked to itself. As David correctly stated, subsequent appearances of the master video must be linked to the original for that video to seamlessly play across multiple slides.

If you have other video clips playing over the master on individual slides they can be either set to master and copy/pasted (this is the easy way to do it) and they will play seamlessly like the other master, or they can be set to individual clips and will sequence just as still slides. Unless you want a cacophony of sound, you need to deal with muting whichever video sound(s) you don't want playing...

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I've just tried from scratch again, first adding the background 3m+ video clip, added a few text items, set to come in where required, then a picture slide & finally another inset video clip. This is without designating the background video as the master, or copying & pasting anything, (incidentally, I'm not sure how or what you are referring to with this statement, copying & pasting, where from & how) The additional video clip plays at full screen and start on the O&A timeline, as soon as I reduce it to an inset & move it along the timeline to where I want it to appear, it freezes partway in. Another clue, when I first add the clip to the main background video, it appears as a yellow screen. I then tried authorising the master background video, same result.

Regards eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Lin

I've just checked a second show which I started before the one I'm having problems with & in that one I have 2 video clips that I am using as backgrounds to add stills text & inset video clips. In this instance there would be two master background clips, what are your thoughts on that. Also I've just checked my last few shows & couldn't find one where I've added a video clip to a video gackground, only a video clip to a still background or visa verse.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-12686700-1438964653_thumb.jppost-5560-0-69803400-1438964662_thumb.jppost-5560-0-23128300-1438964674_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

Let's see if I can help you get a handle on this.

There are multiple possible scenarios. Let's take them one at a time.

1. You have multiple slides which you want to play in sequence and you have a video which you wish to run as a background on "each" of the slides. You want this video to continue uninterrupted while the still slides with either still images or video clips sequence one after the other with this master video running uninterrupted in the background.

In such a case, you set the video you wish to run uninterrupted in the background as Master. Then this video which you wish to run uninterrupted on each slide as a backdrop is repeated on each subsequent slide and on these subsequent slides it's designated as "linked" to the Master. That is the identical video is a Master on slide one and from slide two until the end of your slides this same video appears in the object list as "linked" to the master. There are several ways you can proceed. The very easiest way is to create your entire show without this video then insert the video into slide one and designate it as "Master." Next in the object list of slide one right click on this master video and select "copy." This puts the master video onto the clipboard. Next go to each subsequent slide in Objects and Animations and right click in the objects list outside of any object and choose "Paste." The copied master video will then be pasted into these subsequent slides and will automatically be assigned as "linked" to the master. You must move this slide to the physical bottom of the Objects list or otherwise it will completely cover all other images. The images above must be sized smaller than the video or else they will "cover" it and you won't be able to see it.

2. You want a Master slide to run in the background uninterrupted, but want still images and/or video clips to play on each sequential slide then stop playing when the next slide appears but still have the master video running continuously and uninterrupted as the individual video clips and/or still images sequence.

In this case you do the same thing. Put in all your individual video clips and still images then when everything is done and your slide timings are all set, Put in the Master video on the first slide, set the video to master then copy/paste to individual subsequent slides and move and size appropriately so that the master video plays behind the still images and video clips. In such a case each video clip should be designated as an individual video clip and not linked in any way. What you have done here is simply substitute in some cases, a video clip for a still image.

3. You want more than one Master video to play simultaneously while slides are sequenced with still images and/or individual video clips. You may designate an additional or several video clips as Master and treat them as explained above. They only need to be properly sized and positioned so that they will appear on top of the Master which you have on the bottom layer.

4. You want a still image for the background to stay on screen with multiple slides and/or videos sequencing. The easiest way to do this is to simply make a video which consists of a single still image and place that video as the Master (as explained in 1. above).

Hopefully this may help you understand some of the myriad possibilities. The major point is that a Master Video with linked copies will always run continually while other video clips and/or still images sequence. The secondary point is that you may have more than one master video with linked copies. The third point is that it's always easier to do the other programming first - slide timings, still images, video clips, etc., and leave the Master for the last step.

If you would like examples of these scenarios, let me know and I'll make a few for you and post links to the PTE files so you can play them for yourself...

Later:

Here are three example PTE zipped files for you to examine.

1. Background Master video playing uninterrupted while multiple still files sequence...

2. Background Master video playing with secondary Master video playing and still slides sequencing..

3. Background still image via being made into an MP4 playing uninterrupted with video clips and still slides sequencing:

http://www.lin-evans.org/eric/eric1.zip

http://www.lin-evans.org/eric/eric2.zip

http://www.lin-evans.org/eric/eric3.zip

Best regards,

Lin

I would complete the show WITHOUT the background Video Clip (in this instance) and add it at the very end (because the Slide Durations of all slides will be governed by other images and Video Clips). Add it to slide 1 (Master). Copy and paste to slide 2 and set "Link to etc". Copy the video from Slide 2 to all subsequent slides. The "Link to" command should go with it.

Hi Lin,

I added a P.P.S to post 15 about the copy/paste - I have always done it manually. I will make sure that the Help File reflects that behaviour.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I've read this a couple of times but it isn't sinking in, a few screen shots of the process would help. I've put the projects on one side probably until we return from Spain, week Sunday, so there isn't a rush. Trying to get into holiday mode now.

Thanks to all.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS it's 13 years since we were in Gib', en route to Portugal, so not only are we going to our eldest grand daughters wedding in Spain, it's a nostalgia trip back to "the Rock", where I fell in the dock mooring up, only the second time in 3 years of sailing. A couple of pictures taken at the time, the one from the top of the Rock shows the marina, (we're in there somewhere) & the runway we'll be landing on, pretty hairy. Back the 16th.

post-5560-0-79529900-1438971153_thumb.jppost-5560-0-75010200-1438971134_thumb.jppost-5560-0-09726800-1438971178_thumb.jppost-5560-0-07759800-1438971199_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

We got back from our grueling 7 days in Spain in the early hours of this morning. Did a quick check that my PC was OK & the internet active, (102 emails waiting). Woke early & just cleared the emails (mostly Facebook people wanting to be my friend, can't think why, don't know them from Adam). Was hoping there would have been some progress on my video clip problem, but can't see anything. We have a couple of hundred images to edit, in particular the wedding, which was really sensational, so I'm going to buckle down & get those done for the time being. Hopefully there may be some progress shortly.

(no I didn't fall in the marina this time, in fact there has been so much building from 11 years ago, we couldn't get near the marina in the car. However, got a fantastic view of our berth as our flight home banked to port as we took off & circled the rock in the setting sun, lumps in throats)

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

Sorry, didn't realise you had added to a previous post. I've downloaded them now & will examine them when my current task is complete, 1.8GB of stills & video to edit & that is just mine, Margaret has nearly as much. I've also come back with a health problem, whether it's related to my op' last year, I don't know yet. Went for an Xray this afternoon & blood tests Thursday. So shortage of sleep & shortness of breath is slowing me down no-end. Picture is from yesterday, waiting for our plane, M's still cutting heads (rock top) off unfortunately.

Regs Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-69822800-1439827250_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

Just had a look at your examples. None of them depict exactly what I'm trying to achieve. The nearest is the middle one, however, that has a still picture over a video clip, with a video clip inserted into the still. So the make up from the base layer is "vid' still vid'". 1 & 3, I have done many times, what I can't seem to get is superimposing a video over a video with no other images between. Thanks for the demos but I still can't get it.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS after about 6 hours work yesterday, I have all our wedding images edited & whittled them down to 180, with the video clips still to do. Incidentally, there were 4 official photographers!!!! The picture shows the backs of the official head photographer & the wedding planner, temperature just under 40c.

post-5560-0-31203200-1439876084_thumb.jp

Yachtsman1.

PS after about 6 hours work yesterday, I have all our wedding images edited & whittled them down to 180, with the video clips still to do. Incidentally, there were 4 official photographers!!!!

In Toronto a few weeks ago and came across a wedding with 4 official photographers and a videographer, then plus me! Must be catching

Guest Yachtsman1

Yachtsman1.

PS after about 6 hours work yesterday, I have all our wedding images edited & whittled them down to 180, with the video clips still to do. Incidentally, there were 4 official photographers!!!!

In Toronto a few weeks ago and came across a wedding with 4 official photographers and a videographer, then plus me! Must be catching

Hi Mick

I think one of our photographers was also a videographer, but he was using a DSLR not a dedicated video camera. Of course everyone else & his or her brother had a smart phone or tablet so I would estimate at least 5000 images were taken. The picture shows the video/photographer.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-36218200-1439896302_thumb.jp