WnSoft Forums

(SOLVED) Envelope tool and a slide sound

trailertrash

I had to add a sound to an individual slide and managed to get the fades and the wee dots etc all in the right place. Feeling very self important I then tried to edit the main soundtrack [ which I had turned off or ' faded to zero ' ] during the slide. I couldn't get the thing to select the main soundtrack as it held on to the slide with sound added in the timeline view. I did manage to get it to select the main soundtrack in full screen mode eventually. I'd really like to know what I did wrong, since I managed to get everything done in p2e and had to work without Audacity which doesn't seem to like win10.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Could you give a few more details such as which slide in the slide sequence you added the sound to and how you went about turning off the sound in the main track?

I've tried to duplicate your issue but haven't been able to. If you clicked on the main sound track line and dragged the line down to the bottom of the display to turn off or fade out the main sound, you can right click on the tiny dots to erase the individual keyframe and return the envelope to the default position. Also you can use the Project Options Audio Tab to return the fade, etc., to the default of zero.

When you say "it held on to the slide with sound added in the timeline view" I'm not clear on this. If you could elaborate a bit perhaps we can duplicate the issue and see where things went south...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

That's true, but if you intend to copy/paste a slide to another show, etc., and the audio is linked to the slide, it will go with the paste. If the sound is not linked to the slide, the audio will not accompany the "copy/paste" AFAIK... So sometimes there are good reasons for doing it as Andrew did??

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

Andrew didn't say, but generally I assume one links audio to a slide because they might want the option of moving that slide wherever without losing the audio which has been sequenced to fit it - at least that's the only reason I do it that way.

Best regards,

Lin

Andrew didn't say, but generally I assume one links audio to a slide because they might want the option of moving that slide wherever without losing the audio which has been sequenced to fit it - at least that's the only reason I do it that way.

I do it for a different reason.

Generally, I write a short scenario for my slide show, and I split it in several sequences: 3 to 6, sometimes more.

I then build several sub projects in PTE, each subproject including 1, 2 or 3 sequences.

For each subproject I attach the différent soundtracks to different views.

After that, I copy all the different projects in one main project.

This is why it is so important for me to be able to attach all the soundtracks to different views.

So, I have two iterations of PTE open.

I add an Image to both.

I add an Audio Clip to both.

In each case I Link the Audio to the Image in Project Options / Audio / Link To Slide.

I copy the Slide(s) in Iteration 2 and Paste into the Slide List of Iteration 1 and the Linked Audio is pasted along with the Image.

If there are any "overlaps" in the Audio the audio of the Pasted Slide can be moved to a seperate track with no losses.

Project Options displays the Audio Tracks in the same way as if the Add Audio or Voice were used - it's the same thing?

DG

Hi Andrew,

Let me see if I understand this fully. When you are in Windowed mode you can't select the main sound track, but when you are in Fullscreen mode you can? Can you see the second track in Windowed mode?

Which version of Windows are you running? I've tried the same under Win XP and under Win 8.1 and can select either the main sound track or a linked to slide track. It's a perplexing issue but must be somehow related to something unique in your system.

If you could zip up your project and post a link to it I would like to try it on both my systems....

You can give yourself a bit more working room without having to use the scroll bar by doing what's shown in the image linked below:

http://www.lin-evans.org/andrew/show.jpg

Best regards,

Lin

Its windows 10 Lin and yes thats exactly whats happening. I cant select the ' bottom ' track to edit it except in full screen mode. I'll zip up the project and post a link today.

project zip here:

I'm not having much success with this link thingy. its trailertrashaudiovisual.com/tattoofaces.zip

Hi Andrew,

I downloaded and extracted and in both Win XP and Win 8.1 in either Windowed or Full Screen mode I can select either track.

It appears to be a Windows 10 situation. Before turning this over to Igor - let me be absolutely certain that I understand everything correctly.

1. When you are in Windowed mode do you see the scroll bar to the far right which lets you scroll down to the bottom track?

2. If you can see the scroll bar, does it let you scroll down to actually "see" the second track?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes" - you click on it but it won't change color to indicate it's been selected?

4. If the answer to #2 is "No" - can you click, hold and drag as in my linked example to increase the viewing area for the sound tracks?

5. If the answer to #4 is "yes" - you click on the bottom track but it doesn't select...

Once we get the precise situation clear - they we can turn this over to Igor. He will want to know the type display, type video card, screen resolution and such from your system as well.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Andrew,

Not a problem - thank Peter for asking the initial question... It happens to all of us now and then.... Click the link below and look at the red arrow. Put your mouse cursor in this area, left click the mouse and hold down the left mouse button and drag upward to expand the area where the sound tracks are located without having to scroll with the scroll bar...

http://www.lin-evans.org/andrew/show.jpg

Best regards,

Lin