WnSoft Forums

My Favorite Software for Daily Use and Why....

Lin Evans

We all have our own work-flow and many of us use different types of software to manage our images. These are my favorites and why I find them to be superb for image manipulation or other purposes. I have placed links to each for those who wish to possibly download trial versions or look into the specifics.

1. PicturesToExe (obvious reasons).

2. Focus Magic: Focus Magic is essentially a deconvolution program which uses sophisticated algorithms to actually move pixels to effect sharpening and/or motion blur. It works both as a stand-alone program and as a plug-in with Photoshop. By using it with Photoshop, for example, it's possible to selectively sharpen areas of your image or correct motion blur in the entire image or only on selected areas. Let's say, for example, that you were doing wildlife photography and your subject was an elk. Perhaps the majority of the image is in perfect focus but the elk moved one ear which introduced motion blur. You can simply use the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop to carefully select the motion blurred ear, then use the motion blur correction tool in Focus Magic to make up to a 20 pixel correction to remove the motion blur and create a perfect image. Deconvolution sharpening works differently than Unsharp Mask. Unsharp mask is a local contrast enhancement tool which unless used very carefully can and will introduce sharpening halos - those pesky white or black outlines which surround edge detail. Deconvolution actually moves pixels and achieves ultimate focus rather than edge contrast enhancement.

Focus Magic can be seen here: http://www.focusmagic.com/

3. Qimage Ultimate: In my opinion, Qimage Ultimate represents the pinnacle of image printing software. I use it for printing, but printing is only a small part of what it is useful for. For one thing, it has what is in my opinion, the finest sharpening algorithm available anywhere at any price. The Qimage Deep Focus Sharpening is something which has to be seen to be believed. It can sharpen an image to the Nth degree with absolutely zero sharpening halos. It's like magic indeed. Mike Chaney, the author of Qimage has created an incredible tool which is an indispensable part of my toolkit. You can download a 14 day trial here: http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/index.html

4. DXO Viewpoint 2: DXO, the makers of DXO Optics Pro, one of the finest RAW converters and image manipulation software made also make Viewpoint 2 which is far and away the finest perspective correction tool available anywhere. For example, when you photograph using a wide angle lens, objects in the horizontal periphery tend to lean from vertical inward toward the center of an image. Often there is pincushion or barrel distortion or the horizon in an image is not level. Sometimes an otherwise good image has all these issues in the same frame! Viewpoint 2 is the ultimate solution in my experience. I wouldn't be without it: See and download here: http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-viewpoint

5. Photoshop: (obvious reasons)

6. Photoscape: Photoscape is a great utility. If you want to create slices for use in PTE animations, add fancy borders to your image, or do many neat things, this freeware tool is really nice: Get it here: http://help.photoscape.org/help.php?id=intro

7. Sqirlz Water Reflections: Many of my water reflections are made with the help of this wonderful freeware program. see it here: http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html

8. Fastone Capture: I use this inexpensive but very powerful screen capture sofware for all my tutorials these days. Highly recommended... See and download here: http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Qimage's Deep Focus Sharpening WMV Video Example: http://www.lin-evans.org/tutorial/deepfocussharpening.zip (about 17 meg download Zipped Video)

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Manuel,

I use two - the freeware version of Video Pad Video Editor and Avidemux 2.5. They are both more intuitive for me than Adobe Premiere Elements which I also have. There are lots of free plug-ins for Video Pad Video Editor.

Best regards,

Lin

I don't do much with HQ video, but use Adobe Premiere Elements a little for video I take mainly with my 7D (the camera I mainly use for taking video--it's also my street photography and "beat around in the jungles and deserts" camera). Like Lin says, Premier Elements, like most things Adobe, is not intuitive.

For lesser quality video I use video processing on my iPad which is great. 1) Vizzywig, 2) iMovie, 3) Avid Studio, and 4) Videostar...in that order of frequency of use. I know, because I organize the iPad icons in folders by how I use them.

Hi Eric,

The question was actually about video editors and PTE really isn't a video editor. Though you have the ability to trim a video and adjust the speed, there really isn't any control over elementary things such as contrast, brightness, frame-in, frame-out, or the myriad things that even the most elementary of actual video editors do. It wasn't intended to be an editor even though you can do some rudimentary editing tasks.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

The question was actually about video editors and PTE really isn't a video editor. Though you have the ability to trim a video and adjust the speed, there really isn't any control over elementary things such as contrast, brightness, frame-in, frame-out, or the myriad things that even the most elementary of actual video editors do. It wasn't intended to be an editor even though you can do some rudimentary editing tasks.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

You know as well as I do that I know what PTE will & won't do. Just check out the number of shows I've produced with a video content. 95% of those used PTE, 100% of those used PTE & Video Pad. Just because you didn't mention PTE in your list of video editors, don't try to put me down.

One of my multi video editor productions was "Last Tango on Lord Street", which has had almost 200 hits on YouTube & I seem to remember at the time received some praise from you?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

PTE isn't a video editor - I'm not sure why you have a burr under your saddle, but no one is "putting you down." The fact that you use PTE for "video editing" is totally immaterial to the facts.

If you want to argue about whether PTE is a video editor or not, please start your own thread because I have no interest in discussing it.

I was asked what my program of choice was for video editing and I answered that question. You then said "what about PTE" and I answered that the question was about video editors which PTE is not. Anyone who is serious about video editing is going to use a product designed for that purpose. The very few video editing features in PTE are for convenience and if that's all you need then that's great, but some people don't consider adjusting contrast, brightness, hue, saturation and levels "something complicated" and these are elementary requirements for video editing.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Passage from WNsoft's description of PTE "PicturesToExe is recognized today for its unmatched image quality, smooth animation rendering, support for inserting videos alongside photos, and unlimited creative potential."

Yachtsman1.

Hi Barry,

Maybe nobody in the discussion so far uses Photoshop Creative Cloud? Manuel uses CS6, I use CS6 Extended and CS5. I also use Lightworks Pro by EditShare but I seriously doubt if anyone else on the forum uses it and Manuel asked for "non professional" recommendations so I didn't include it in my recommendations. I did mention Photoshop for "obvious reasons,"

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Barry,

I'm sure that some forum members are using Photoshop CC but probably are not reading this thread. It's sometimes difficult to get much participation except just after an announcement of a beta release.

Best regards,

Lin

I certainly am using CC and the majority at my club are using it. A number of the controls seem to me to work much better than previous versions. Back to the topic - I use Photoshop CC; PTE; and Pinnacle for video. These cover my every need and am not interested in trying to learn new programs even though I have some of them installed.

Mick

Hello everyone

Lin

I use a few of the programs you've listed, including the Photoscape and Videopad freebies.

I think people tend to put down freeware too easily as not being quality, but there are some really good ones out there that can be used as tools alongside PTE, if you can stumble on them.

Irfanview is good for much more than viewing, and I can spend ages just playing with Fotosketcher!

Has anyone else got any graphics/video suggestions that they can add to the melting pot?

Regards

wideangle