WnSoft Forums

Creative Cloud Facts

Barry Beckham

Hi Barry,

I think you should realize, in case you don't,  that your experience is not necessarily more relevant to "the rest of us" than someone elses.  When you say "something wonderful that the rest of us haven't yet found" you appear to believe that your experience is more aligned with the masses than another's. I can assure you that there are many thousands of photographers worldwide who use, for example, Kolor's Autopano Giga, Qimage Ultimate and BenVista's AutoZoom Pro. The fact that you are apparently not aware of this speaks more to your own inexperience with these products than anything else. Urmas gave you an excellent example of the differences in the Adobe RAW converter, Canon's own DPP and Capture One Pro 8. But did you thank him? No, you "rest" your "case and throw in the towel...." 

Urmas' experience mirrors my own experience with these other products. When someone suggests a product on a forum they do not need to go above and beyond to demonstrate that it works better than some other product. They only need to inform the reader of the possibility and let the reader do their own research if and when there is interest.

Of course some information given on forums as well as in the press, on TV and radio and in the news is "way off beam."  That's life. If everyone who suggests an alternative has to go above and beyond to "prove" that it might be superior to another product for each and every person who tends to be difficult to convince they they would spend an inordinate amount of time in that pursuit.

I sometimes create tutorials to demonstrate the utility and attempt to help those who are interested in learning how to use some of these alternative products myself. If others find these useful then I've done what I can to show others what I have discovered. When I endorse or recommend a product I do my utmost to be certain that I have the facts right. On the other hand, I do not have the time or energy to devote by going to great lengths in presenting detailed studies on the differences in product A and product B. If the reader is interested in pursuing that then I'm more than willing to look up references and help them on an individual basis.  

As I said earlier: "Different strokes for different folks"....

Best regards,

Lin

On 12/16/2015 at 5:17 PM, bbdigital said:

This is incorrect. If your working with Creative Cloud and even a disk allows two installs.  How do I manage to have Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge on 4 computers, if it's not possible. 25 seconds it takes for me to switch to a third machine with Photoshop. Those who say this is hassle are (sorry to say this) talking nonsense

You must have a much more stable internet than I often experience when traveling. You must go to very tame places!  Be thankful.  All but a handful of times attempting to deactivate/activate, I have had to call Adobe.  Try making your phone a hotspot with iffy Edge connection and then connect with wifi and get Adobe to cooperate. Doesn't work. This is rare of course, but has happened. Thankfully Skype keeps the cost down for direct calls when needed. Perhaps you think it is nonsense to be concerned with such minor things.  I should throw the towel back at you!

Getting facts right is important for all of us.  I am grateful to Umas for his suggestions and examples.  Barry, you are an experienced PS user.  Some others here are also quite accomplished PS users as well, perhaps with enough experience and needs that have led them to explore further then only Photoshop (which seems to meet your level of need) and offer other superior software suggestions.  You have good answers, but not all the answers, only those answers that work best for your limited scope of need. Keep offering those as you have in this thread. I am grateful for your generally excellent contributions, Barry, and for the excellent contributions of others as well.        

I think it was a rhetorical question Mick which was asked before, but not addressed in Urmas' previous post. His point, if I may attempt to address this is that there are better slideshow capabilities by far in PTE than in Lightroom, etc., It's obvious to anyone who has used both.

Likewise, there are better (much better) deconvolution algorithms, better sharpening programs, better stacking programs, better RAW conversion programs, better interpolation programs, better printing programs, and better panorama programs than those available in the latest versions of Photoshop. Whether or not someone "needs" these superior features and capabilities depends entirely on that photographers individual requirements.

If one is totally happy with what is available in Photoshop then there is no need to investigate further. On the other hand, not all of us are content with certain features which are offered by Photoshop so we look for suitable alternatives just as we look beyond Lightroom for presentation slideshow capabilities. 

What may seem obvious to some because of their needs may seem silly to others because they don't share these needs. If there were not valid reasons for using some other products then these companies would no longer be selling product because Adobe does everything - who needs anything else?

We do not all agree on our approach to creating and manipulating photos or on the best way to approach it. Fortunately there are alternatives which provide sufficient latitude so that we can all be happy with our workflow. Adobe and Creative Cloud is one excellent solution but there are other quite viable alternatives which in some cases are superior... 

Best regards,

Lin

I am not very happy about this advertising campaign for Adobe. Although I use Photoshop CC myself, I am also not very happy about the subscription model, sharing some of the reservations mentioned by Judy and Urmas.

This thread should be locked :angry:

Regards,
jt

I think you all need to take a deep breath, step back and pause awhile..............................

Because this isn't about Adobe or whether there is something better than Photoshop. My note just corrected some false statements and beliefs about Creative Cloud and your still missing the point. Perhaps you are all part of the problem being too quick to jump on a bandwagon and beat your chest and turn this into a debate about which software can do something better than Photoshop when that's not the issue at all.

There is almost a foolish hysteria built up around Adobe CC and if you feel that is a silly statement, just look at the post above. "I don't like this subject, so it should be locked"

My point made nicely I think.

8 hours ago, bbdigital said:

Because this isn't about Adobe or whether there is something better than Photoshop. My note just corrected some false statements and beliefs about Creative Cloud and your still missing the point.  

Just to get facts right, some citations here:

"...the Rolls Royce of image editors... "
"Three of the best image editing programs on the planet ..."

Oops, I just forgot, where they came from. Probably some internet myths.

Urmas

PS. You've got some pretty expensive coffee there "down under". Luckily I prefer milk instead of coffee.

• 2 months later...

Just for the record.  Three times in the last month I had Adobe CC products refuse to open when I got off the grid for an extended time.  That was after critically checking thoroughly to be sure I had licensing right on the correct machine and that it was working off the grid.   As a result. I was unable to produce several hundred important images in a timely way to a client.  Sure, I was only a few days late, and in the end it didn't matter that much (which is why I waited), but because I sometimes perform work that is very time critical, I maintain an old version of Photoshop just in case.

This seems to be an anomaly, but Adobe has not yet resolved it. Yet, it would not occur without the licensing nonsense Adobe has in place. Photoshop is an unequaled product.  The Adobe CC subscription system is not.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Judy

I use DP review regularly now, last week there was an article about Adobe Cloud issuing an up-date that if installed lost some of the users files. I've just had a quick look back & found something from the 15th Feb but I think it relates to Macs.

The link is http://www.dpreview.com/news/5652517125/adobe-issues-fix-for-creative-cloud-mac-update-that-could-delete-files

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Judy,

Does turning all of the options in the Creative Cloud Desktop Setup/Preferences to OFF before you go offline make any difference?

If those options are turned ON then it tries to connect EVERY time you boot up.

Logically, turning them off should give you around 30 days without problems and even more with the Annual Subscription which I have.

DG

You may be right.  I didn't think of that.  Thanks.  I forget the behavior in the past, but in this recent instance, it really would not start after trying computer restarts.  Maybe I gave up too easily and was too busy.  I have some new tricks, thanks to you.  I have called Adobe several times, and so far they never mentioned any of this, yet I have a hunch you are on to something.  Of course, by the time I call them, the internet works and CC works and I don't really need them by then.  They just want to know, "Is it working now," which if course it is. I can't just make the message pop up, so I guess I have to wait to see.   

Maybe it has to with switching licenses around, but I am diligent about doing that before going out. The problem has been rare, and I shouldn't fuss about it over much.  Maybe it will never happen again! :)