WnSoft Forums

P2E and Windows 10

Randlov

In order to get smooth fading, zooms etc. (and many other reasons) I upgraded to a powerful Lenovo T550 laptop with Windows 10, 64 bit expecting to have a future-proof combination.

However, to my great dismay P2E does not work completely. *.pte files load without problems and obviously most functions are fine, but choosing “Objects and Animation” freeze to program completely, only ctrl-alt-delete can terminate the program.

I use P2E to make stereoscopic slide shows for 3D projection with 3840x1200 window and files. All pans and zooms are made in two identical masks, so without the option to use “Objects and Animation” the program is useless on the new computer.

The P2E version is PictureToExe Pro 8.0.18 registered with a valid license key.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Has the laptop got two graphics cards, some do, mine & others have. If it does, has the higher spec' card been designated to operate with PTE shows. on W7 a right click on your desktop brings up a wizard to do this.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just copied this from the spec'

"Graphics

Intel HD Graphics 5500 in processor only, or Intel HD Graphics 5500 in processor and NVIDIA GeForce® 940M, 1GB memory (discrete models are only available in Western Europe); supports external analog monitor via VGA and digital monitor via Mini DisplayPort; supports three independent displays;

Max resolution: 3840x2160@60Hz (DP via mDP cable); 2560x1600@60Hz (VGA)"

Suggest you check yours, to run PTE correctly IMO you need the one with two graphics cards, & use the NVIDIA card when running PTE.

Yachtsman1.

Thank you Yachtsman 1

The 3D projection is with a Matrox DualHeatToGo DP box connected to two Dell 7609WU projectors via mini DisplayPort. Matrox has a compability test and the Intel HD Graphics 5500 card showed a resolution up to 2x1920x1200, which I am using. Yesterday we had a meeting in the Danish Stereoscopic Club, and the projection for more than two hours were absolutely flawless, so the problem is not a hardware matter.

If I open a *.pte file on the Lenovo (without being connected to the projectors) everything I have tried until now have worked fine EXCEPT when I try to open “Objects and Animation” and the computer freezes. So it must be a software problem with P2E and Win 10/64.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Has the Lenovo got two video cards? If it has you can go on line check the NVIDIA card's rating. My laptop has a standard video card for normal use, word processing & low battery drain,  & a 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760 for AV use, I changed the settings so that the NVIDIA card is on all the time as I only use it for AV, battery drain isn't a problem as it is plugged into mains power when its on. Mine is on W7 Professional. So it could be a W10 problem, as others on here have reported problems, have you got the latest version? Also the Lenovo according to my research was built with W7, did you up-grade it to W10?

One more thing, how much spare capacity have you on your C drive? Finally I can't see it being a PTE problem.

Yachtsman1

Hello again

The Lenovo does not have two graphic cards, but execution of exe-file made with P2E runs perfectly smooth – no problems.

It is only when P2E is running on the computer the program freezes when “Objects and Animation” is activated. And that is why I am sure that it must be a P2E/Win 10 compability problem.

The Windows 10 is the latest version. The laptop is brand new, it came with Windows 10 preinstalled and Windows Update is activated.

The C:\ drive is a 512GB SSD, and there is hardly anything on it, so there is plenty of capacity.

Previously I used a Dell Latitude E6500 with Windows 7/32. There were no problems making slideshows with P2E, but the execution of exe-files was jumpy, and that is one of many reasons to upgrade to the more powerful Lenovo.

Are there others having problems with P2E and Windows 10?

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

There have been comments re windows 10 & there was a thread running a few weeks ago, maybe Ken will see this & let us have the link. I tried finding it with the forum search facility, but failed. Igor & Gary contributed I think so maybe if you look through their content?

Yachtsman1.

Put a typical (but short - 3-4 slides) project up where we can download and trial. It should be something which immediately gives problems on your PC.

I have W10 and W7 (and Vista and XP) and experience no problems but I am not using your type of images.

I am willing to test it for you.

Use DropBox or similar to upload the project and post a link here.

The maximum you can post here is around 3Mb.

Here is a small sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2nva2f14xxewvc/AAB1xStICpaw8bJbFM9UDOXIa?dl=0

The pte-file opens fine both on the Dell (Win 7/32) and the Lenovo (Win 10/64).

Try to open the file, prewiev, right click for the final two slides.

However, if I activate "Object and Animation" on the Lenovo (Win 10/64) the program freezes and can only be shut down with "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" 

Peter

I have opened the project and it runs smoothly in both Preview and in O&A on my W10 Laptop.

Screen Resolution of the Laptop is 1920x1080.

You have each slide set to "Wait for Key Press" and only a Right Click will bring the next slide up.

Explain a little more about how this is supposed to work? How are you outputting (cabling) from the Laptop and at what resolution?

I cannot replicate your 2x1920x1200 setting - it means nothing to me - sorry.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

I downloaded the sample, although I can only test on W7 Professional 64bit. It runs through ok, the slides all open in the O&A screen & run through without problems. I checked the file info on the next to last slide & others, at 1.2mb I don't see any problems. I also ran them through the O&A screen without problems. So I'm at a loss. What model is the graphics cardon the lenovo? I see you are running PTE 18, I'm not sure if that was a trial to test something else? I am running 17, can you switch to 17 & try again, uninstall 18 & install 18.

Yachtsman1.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thank you davegee and yachtsman 1 for dealing with my problem.

As my small sample worked with O&A on davegee’s W10 computer I guessed that the problem was specific to my installation of PTE8, so before rolling back to PTE7 I tried to reinstall PTE8 and it worked! :-)

I should have tried reinstalling from the beginning.

As you both ask to the hardware configuration, here it is:

Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 5500. The Matrox compability tool says ok to the resolution I use, which is 3840x1200 (or 2x1920x1200 as Matrox says).

For projection: Matrox DualHeadToGo DP edition (digital + DisplayPort) connected to the DP ports on two Dell 7609WU DLP projectors (max. resolution 1920x1200).

The Matrox box expands the 3840x1200 pictures over the two output ports, so the two projectors show left and right picture respectively.

All the cabling is with DP cables (with MiniDP/DP adapter to the Lenovo T550 laptop).

However, the problem with O&A freezing the PTE program and the computer occurred when opening PTE without the Matrox box being connected. Therefore I guessed that it must be a software problem.

The small sample was made to demonstrate to the members of the Danish Stereoscopic Club how PTE works and to demonstrate how much difference a little digital manipulation can to to a 3D slide. That is why I used "Wait for Key Press" (right click for next and left click for previous).

The option to make slide styles is a big help when making 3D slideshows because all the setting in O&A needed for stereoscopic pans, zooms, text etc. can be saved as slide styles.

I would love to have more 3D functionality build into PTE, e.g. the ability to lock pans and zooms of two masks, so I only have to work on one mask when the left and right pictures are added. Also it would be great to be able to “Publish Show” for 3DTV with 50% horizontal compression.

Again thank you for your help.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

Glad you've resolved your problem. We are very protective about PTE & when someone assumes there is a problem with the programme we go all out to ensure that whether the user is right or wrong in their assumption, we try to find a solution. I have used 8.0.17 on around a dozen shows, some with video & 3D animation & have not experienced anything like your experience. So I was 99.9% sure there wasn't a problem, it sounds like there isn't. So thanks for coming back & relating your fix.;)

Eric

Yachtsman1.