WnSoft Forums

A true and exceptional experiment !

Michel

I readed many things for "To Marie". As one always should not speak, but so that each acts, I propose to you downloading the project and the pictures and the music. If one can sublimate it, I will applaud and will publish it .

the link here:

http://michel69.free.fr/download/work.zip

(18 mb)

It is a beautiful challenge and it is a very good exercise to learn too !

Downloaded satisfactorily. The Preview gives a Image missing D:\PTE\Maria\icon.ico One has to uncheck "Use your own icon" in Project Options>Advanced before proceeding. Otherwise OK. Don't know when I will be able to work on ii but I will have a go.

Ron [uK]

Michel,

I could tell you are "un homme d'action"! This is a generous and bold suggestion you have made! I hope others will take you up on it too.

Please don't expect anything for a couple of days, though.

I am still finding some flicker on my desktop pc in your second version of "to Marie", even with the longer transitions. I noticed that the file sizes of your images are quite a bit larger than those I generally use. I try to compress my jpegs to around 100 to 150 kb, for 800x600-pixel sizes.

However, I am beginning to think that flicker is also due to something in addition to processor speed or amount of RAM. For example, as I was running the show, my system monitor indicated that the processor usage varied between 60 and 70 % (compared to between 50 and 100 % for one of my own shows). The RAM usage increased by only 40 Mb, both in your show and in mine.

By the way, Windows is such a "hog" that it takes up approx 400 Mb of my 750 Mb of RAM while just sitting "idle"! (Guess it's like some people I know, and takes whatever is available). :blink:

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of Windows and operating systems and video cards (Igor, where are you?) could step in here and shed some more light on the issue. i.e. is "granularity" a factor? Is PTE inherently limited in the number of pixels it can process, regardless of processor speed? Is there an optimum jpeg size regardless of one's processor speed, etc???

Ciao,

Al

Michel

Ignoring the icon, I experimented with the timeline, but without any success in stopping the flickers. So I cancelled that. I then ran through your settings and under Screen I checked the box 'Fit to Screen'. I then did a preview and the transitions went through without a flicker. The images filled my computer screen with the crackled edge just showing. Beautiful. So RAM didn't come into it or so it seems. Was it trying to cope with the background?

Ron [uK]

Just the results of another experiment on flicker.

I reduced my monitor settings to the size of the images (800x600), from my usual 1024 x 768, and Michel's "to Marie" show ran with very little flicker - in fact it was almost imperceptible, except for when the images went from very dark to very light.

So, guess it has something to do with the change in density, extreme ranges having a lot further to go in the same amount of time. At no time though do the transitions overtax the processor speed.

This leads me to believe that the steps in the transition could be smoothed out somehow even more so than they are now, in much the same way that smoothing is used to blur the edges of an image. Even if it takes a little more processor time to accomplish this at the expense of a little image sharpness. After all, during the transition, the sharpness of the image is not as important as when the transition is finished. Maybe Igor could add in a routine to handle this??

Ciao,

Al

Michel

I think you were right to put out the challenge but I’ll not take it up for these reasons:

1°) It’s your show, your pictures, your emotions; I could share with you these emotions, so it’s good enough for me.

2°) I never look at somebody’s else show o pictures thinking to what I’d have myself done. I always forget myself and freely look at somebody’s work: if I like it I applaud; if I don’t like, I do not go to the end.

Anyway, if somebody puts out a challenge on how to develop an idea with a show, I’ll take it.

One big thank you to Guido, who made this exercise and passed on to me a slightly adjusted version (music, effect and end). It's always interesting to discover ideas to finalize the slide show.

At the moment, as regards the other small described problems, I persist in saying that it is very often about configuration of computer (and true colors or not....)

Example, with a friend:

Another test on a notebook, Duron 850, 256 mb, Windows ME, standard videocard: perfect...

no problem of fade, of music.....

I wait possibly for the answer of Igor to the quoted problems.