WnSoft Forums

Create a pdf file from a PTE project

Recently, I had to give several talks about the  palm tree diseases due to red palm weevil infestation on the mediterranean coast. I am used to preparing my presentations with PTE which is, for me, less time consuming than PPT. Several people asked me to give them a paper copy of it. In the next version, could it be possible to create pdf file from a PTE project?

Daniel

For those using PTE for a live presentation, it could be a benefit to be able to have a hard copy reminder of what the presentation consists of. Also, being able to see what is coming up next before that slide is seen would make a great memory jogger too

Hi

i agree that a printed note version would be great. I know of at least a couple of my friends who would agree as we all sometimes have to revert to PP on occasions. 

John

Hi,

I remember having made different tutorials with PTE, and, sure, it could be interesting to have a pdf file to search rapidly a specific point.

But (in my case) usually it is necessary to simplify the pdf, versus the PTE tuto more complex (too complex for a pdf).

I have been advocating the use of PicturesToExe as an Educational Tool since version 4.x.

However I see some difficulties in the production of a PDF from the series of slides.

PTE is a Timeline based software, so where along the Timeline do you propose that the "snapshot" be taken for the Thumbnail for each slide?

If it is taken at position zero (or at the end of the transition time) for any slide then a blank slide or background image would be the result. Bullet pointed text which fades in would not show. Can you make multiple bullet points appear in the same slide on a mouse click or would it have to be done on a one slide per bullet point basis?

If the snapshot is taken at the end of slide duration then any objects which have been faded out would not show.

Do you propose a variable position for the snapshot?

Do you propose that all animation should be ignored? (I am thinking of Bullet Points).

Are you advocating that a new feature for inserting "speakers notes" be introduced?

I am not speaking against this proposal but I think that someone needs to give Igor a clearer understanding of what is required by you, the user. In addition to this any decisions need to make the feature applicable to a wide range of educational applications and not just the requirements of a single slide show or type of show.

Perhaps it is a feature which could start off in a very basic way and be developed in the future - what are the basic requirements?

DG

Dave

Good points and I think if we are being truthful. We the users don't even think much about that. We hope the creator instantly understands what is required and supplies it. I just assumed (dangerous I know) that a PDF would show a snapshot of everything that is destined to be displayed with that image. Most animation is showing by the time the image is about to be changed, so perhaps a snapshot there?

Even with our original enthusiasm, the amount of use this option would be put to, in relation to the development time and cost, needs some thought I guess. We cant have all we wish for

Barry,

I also wonder about the percentage of users who would actually take advantage of it. Is it worth the effort? It would be the very bottom of my priorities list.

The fact that Igor has asked for feedback is a positive sign. :)

DG

P.S. Note to Igor - don't forget to include the Equation Editor function as per PowerPoint :)

The thing is, we all use PTE differently and if we got all our own pet requests added, the software would be the worse for it. I have always taken the view, make a suggestion, but live with what Igor and his team finally decide. I must admit there are other things that I think would be of greater benefit. 

The software works pretty well now, just as it is and as many photographers are very fond of saying with regard their chosen software. It meets all my needs :D

I also tend prefer PTE to make information orientated presentations (over Impress or Presentations or other like PowerPoint). Cleaner interface, better quality output etc. Having possibility to create handouts in form of a pdf would be great and very likely increase possible user base.

A lot of photography presentations I make with PTE are manually controlled presentations where I tell the story myself. Here I often use screen capture to print out slide order after pressing F4 to have some sort of guide for myself - to keep track where I am and what comes next. Here a possibility to create automatically a pdf with slides list would be welcome.

So, having a possibility to create some sort of slide list either in form of handouts or each slide on each pdf page would be a welcome addition. Sure, there will be all elements with no animations, but that's not a problem for the intended use.

• 6 months later...

I think it's a very important thing. Saving in PDF makes it possible to create a "hard copy" album from a PTE presentation.

There are many online album printing services; they usually want you to install some software and to create a sequence of pages that can be used only for one purpose - to print an album - though they might be a basis for an online presentation, too; In PTE we have an opposite problem - we get a perfect online presentation which could make a nice album. A PDF file could be a perfect solution.

As to the question which time point of each slide will be taken to form an album page.

- First of all you can take the final point ("a fully developed slide") - and that's what is done in PowerPoint when you save your presentation in PDF

- Second, you could mark points on the timeline as JudyKay suggested - including even multiple points for different phases of the same slide.