WnSoft Forums

Slide Styles & Aspect Ratio

Xenofex2

I think it has been as a result of being more P2E proactive recently and actually completing a couple of family orientated a/v's that I have been regularly reading all the Forum postings. What then has caught my eye is the variety of Slide Styles that are available but note they seem either to be in 16:9, 3:2, or 16:10 ratio.

I guess that it has only been as a result of noting this that I realise all my a/v's are in the 4:3 ratio (think it is the default setting). So does this mean that if I stay with 4:3 then I will be unable to use Slide Styles produced in other ratio's? They just won't work?

I should add that I don't appear to have any other reason to change my 4:3 ratio as all my a/v's are for family viewings and show perfectly well on all our screens so far viewed. 

George

Hi George,

It depends on the type of style. A number of styles are essentially independent of aspect ratio and even those which are not, by manually adjusting the components in Objects and Animations, most can be made suitable for other aspect ratios. 

For example, if a style consists of some object(s) surrounded by transparency, then it may be for the most part, independent of aspect ratio. An example of this is my rain and lightning style. Instructions are included to allow the user to position the components to their individual image. When a style includes a border or frame and background, etc., you can manually adjust these components in Objects and Animations to fit a different aspect ratio. Some images are actually not in any of the commonly used aspect ratios so fine tuning is necessary to get everything absolutely correct.

My suggestion would be to pick an aspect ratio closest to the one you use (such as 3:2) then apply it and see how well it conforms to your image. Just do some trials and see which components you need to adjust. Usually you will be able to fit everything properly with very little work.

Best regards,

Lin

George,

Your choice of AR depends on your own preferences.

If you have an SLR then you are more likely to be producing 3:2 images which fit nicely into 3:2 shows. 

Compact cameras tend to favour the 4:3 AR so you might want to use that.

If you show your images on your TV and have a modern tv then you are likely to want to make them 16:9.

The 16:10 AR is favoured by those with 16:10 monitors.

I have DSLR cameras and a 16:9 TV and show my work via mp4 files so I tend to favour either 3:2 or 16:9.

Styles are not always AR specific but when including backgrounds etc in the style they "sometimes" need to be fashioned to suit. I tend to discount the 4:3 and 5:4 AR and concentrate on the other two. But if someone wants to SELL Styles the he has to seriously consider the market.

DG

I must admit that Aspect Ratio not being an area of my expertise or even understanding to date, and as I have found my a/v's do show ok then I had no reason to even think about this area. I also have a reasonably decent Lumix Compact camera and see DG's comment on Compact's favouring 4:3.

Interestingly I did utilise Lin's Snow Style a few months back, or maybe it was just the snow png and used Objects & Animation to adjust on pictures included in an a/v for when with grandchildren, we visited Rochester Dickens Xmas Market.

I had noticed that DG has posted many different Slide Styles at either 3:2 and 16:9 and now can understand why. However I will now look to actioning Lin's suggestion of trial & error and trying out those 3:2 ratios.

George

George, if you have any problems adjusting a 3:2 aspect ratio style in Objects and Animations, just put it on the minimum number of slides required, zip up the file with the PTE "backup to zip" feature and post a link and I'll make you a little video tutorial to show you how to adjust it.

Best regards,

Lin

George, 

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, when I refer to 3:2 or 16:9 when posting styles the AR is the PROJECT AR ant not the image ar.

For instance, if you import my Album page 01 Style and apply it to one of your 4:3 images (in a 3:2 Project) the style will "fit" the image to the frame that I made cropping a little off the top and bottom. You can adjust the "fit" later if you want.

Try it?

:)

DG

DG

Another thankyou for the clarification. Seeing your postings on this Forum on Slide Styles did prompt my initial question but with your and Lin's replies, it has helped clear some of the mist and now this is something I will definitely try.

Thankyou

George