WnSoft Forums

Command Line Switches

jt49

When using the Run command in Window, I can do the following:

1.  I can start MPC-HC using:  "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe"
  2.  I can start MPC-HC and run a video using:  "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" "D:\videos\MyVideo.mp4"
  3.  I can start MPC-HC and run a video at full screen using: "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" "D:\videos\MyVideo.mp4" "/fullscreen"

When using the command "Run external application" in the Slide Options of PTE, the third command including a command line switch (to run the video at full screen) does not work for me. Does anybody know how to pass command line switches when using "Run external application"?

Regards
jt49

jt49,

concerning your command line string :

"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" "D:\videos\MyVideo.mp4" "/fullscreen"

MPCHC does not seem to accept file switches within double " "  when used with PTE... as  your "D:\videos\MyVideo.mp4" "/fullscreen"

*Your full file string should work like this  : 

"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" D:\videos\MyVideo.mp4 /fullscreen

------

*or as Denis extra switches which guarantees the video player closes once the video file ends  ... which is much better for control ... should work like this :

"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" /play /fullscreen /close D:\videos\MyVideo.mp4

-----

* for users finding this all so confusing using switches in command line strings ... its also possible to set the MPCHC options to launch files  in Fullscreen. (See image) . Its just not as flex able when it concerns other wanted control.

mphc_fullscreen.jpg

Just as a additional reminder to users wanting to use Slide Options | Run External Application feature :

Its not possible for the Run External Application feature to launch on the first SLIDE of your slideshow project (in case you are having  problems)... use the feature on your second SLIDE (or following slides) for it to execute. (It use to be possible from the first Slide many versions ago ... but this has changed now)

* Some PC OS may also require you to enable PTE's Project Options | Screen | Non-Exclusive Fullscreen Mode setting. Otherwise the launched application may be displaying underneath your slideshow..

Denis,

I suspect you are using objects (buttons, etc) to launch your external files from the first SLIDE and not the Slide Options | Run External Application checkbox ?

I would like to make it clear to users that I was referencing only the Slide Options | Run External Application  checkbox feature which is automatic ... and not objects (buttons, etc) which are clickable. (See Image)

slide_options.jpg

Stu,

My only interest in this is in ensuring that the Online Help is correct (ongoing task) and I tried this feature.

Sure enough, you cannot use it on the First Slide which begs the question: "Why can you set it if it will not work"? Should it be "Greyed Out" on the First Slide in Slide Options?

Something to ask Igor sometime?

If slide two has a transition the External Application is triggered when Slide 1 is still at 100% Opacity and is left on screen behind the External Application.

Thanks,

DG

Dave,

There was minor discussion with Igor when this issue was first discovered/reported ... but I can not remember any of the details that were posted as to why it was changed. I did check some of my old versions and see that the issue first appeared on v5.6.

As to being greyed out on the first slide ... or a  pop-up notice warning users on first slide application of the feature is not possible.The pop-up notice warning could be displayed when ever the feature is enabled or labeled on the Slide Options panel.

* Since Run Slideshow was first introduced in v5.6 ... that may have been part of the reason of the change.