WnSoft Forums

The 5x4 Project Size

davegee

11 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Dave,

I used to use it quite a bit with my D300S and I would probably use it if I had a D810, etc., because it works out perfectly for framing 8x10's without having to crop.

Best regards,

Lin

You'll have to explain that.

DG

Hi Dave,

It's a menu choice on the D300(S), D800(X) cameras to shoot in 5:4 aspect ratio rather than 3:2, etc.   Shooting in 5:4 means the framing is correct for an 8x10 print without having to decide what to crop. It was convenient to just set the aspect ratio in PTE to 5:4 and drop in images without concern for borders or crops...

Best regards,

Lin

Do you make prints Barry? Do you have framed pictures?  If you think 5:4 is dead, perhaps you could convince all the manufacturers of 8x10 frames not to bother any more?  And maybe you could tell the millions of owners of Olympus 4:3 cameras that their euipment is "bad enough" LOL

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I asked about the 5x4 Slide Show Format which I assume would be driven by the use of a 5x4 Monitor.

My main Monitor was once the 5x4 that I now use on a "Legacy" PC. I wouldn't use it for Slide Shows as a format though.

4x3 will be with us for a while yet.

So your point about Prints is a little off subject.

What is the point in anyone wasting time on 5x4 Styles etc for PTE if no one is going to use them?

I have to take it from the responses that no one uses 5x4 any more - you said you "would" but I take it that you "don't".

Thanks for responding though,

DG

Prints are not AV and the question was asked on an AV forum, so it's reasonable to assume that is what it relates to. I can't see a great point in making a 5:4 slide show when every screen and projector around is 16:9.

A 4:3 or 5:4 slide show immediately dates it and the author. 

Dave, a lot of camera clubs & individuals have 4:3 projectors.
I still make most of my shows at 4:3 as that is the format of my camera & my own projector.
It is only if I am including video that I will now make a 16:9 show.

I never even realised there was a 5:4, it was not something I have ever used.

Jill

Jill,

I agree that 4x3 will be around for a while - the upsurge of the 4/3 cameras will ensure that.

I prefer the 16x9 format (in a projector) for showing ANY Aspect Ratio Show. However, the PAGB decision has shown that it has a different way of looking at things.

DG

Barry, the point is that plenty of professional photographers shoot in 5:4 aspect ratio. Nikon professional cameras all come with that option. To make a slideshow in another aspect ratio with their 5:4 aspect ratio images means they would have to alter them. This forum and those few who have responded are far from a representative sample of all peole who use presentation slideshow products. Although you may consider this an AV forum, I suspect many still believe it's a PicturesToExe software forum. PicturesToExe is used by thousands - some for AV in the generally accepted sense and many for slideshows which have absolutely zero to do with projectors and such. In fact, the majority of PTE users have probably never used a projector to display their slideshows. Most professional photographers create shows for their clients who may indeed have 16:9 aspect ratio displays but also may have 4:3, 5:4, 16:10, etc. Since the reason for Dave's question was not originally revealed I simply pointed out that 5:4 is still very much alive.

Although 16:9 is very popular, there are plenty of 16:10 displays and the latest trend in high resolution is 256:135 which conforms to Digital Cinema Initiatives 4K. I use 4:3, 16:10 and 5:4 displays myself. The display industry frequently (every few years) changes their manufacturing aspect ratio trends probably to convince people to purchase new displays. My guess is that they will probably eventually produce 3:2 aspect ratio displays because it's by far the most common in professional dSLR's. It has always seemed odd to me that 16:9 was chosen for displays which is attempting to drive the digital camera market to produce that aspect ratio when there are zero 16:9 sensors being produced.

I agree that there is probably not much of a market for 5:4 styles, but it might be wise to do some serious industry research before making the decision chisled in stone. Once styles begin selling, then if there are requests for 5:4 styles the decision could be revisited.

Best regards,

Lin

The Canadian Association Of Photographic Art (CAPA), submission of images from all individuals and photo clubs, Maximum horizontal size: 1400 pixels and Maximum vertical size: 1050 pixels. Most images are at this size although a lot use 3:2.

Kieron 

Going thru my records, DaveG and I looked this up Oct 30 2009 and same was discussed on the forum at that time+-

we searched on the net and got this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

so we few that used square format camera's were familiar with 5/4

I think Roliflex  made a slide projector -- I tried to buy one from a customer in Sarnia ---

and there was an Engineer at Dow that had one -- they were as scarce as hen's teeth, boy a 2 1/4" slide show was something to see!!

also see

https://www.bing.com/search?q=rolleiflex+camera&form=EDGNTC&qs=SC&cvid=5289bf759b644b738d2d15fdf08d17dc&pq=roliflex&elv=ACO8GBsNcTHslKxG90BKgeD9YIcNbyG2OC*FU81gpiBu

ken

Dave

we spent a great deal of time on the subject as there were only Carol,Jeff, Hawk, you and I that had the new widescreen TV's, then Ronnie came on board. Barry waited till he got to Aussie Land before he got one I believe - then he picked your brain:)

I forgot, Al Robinson from Ottawa -- he had the best of all --widescreen tv + a projector -- he was going on a tour to Texas stopped in Brantford at Hawk's then on to Sarnia -- we traded cd's and he carried on to texas -- shot birds there then head north up the west coast then turned East back to Ottawa. up till then I had gone to an av shop - they gave me a projector room c/w a 100" screen to put my shows on  - when I got my 37" Panasonic my wife was amazed to be able to read DaveG's mail 10 ft away:)

a different time for sure :)

ken

I have a great idea, lets ask Igor to start a nostalgia forum dedicated to 5:4 slide shows. We could even create a special section on slide show club for the tons of people out there who are using this format.

Then we could then sit back and enjoy all the 5:4 slide shows published by authors who must feel a bit depressed in the 16:9 world.

Anyone want to bet how popular this would be ? :D

LOL Barry - It wouldn't take too many 5:4 slideshow shooters to overwhelm Slideshow Club since there are only about 66 people who have posted shows there.... I doubt that any authors who use 5:4 aspect ratio are in any way "depressed" by the "16:9" world... Actually, I think perhaps you are a bit delusional about the number of photographers who really care anything at all about 16:9. 

Of the hundred or so professionals I'm personally acquainted with, actually zero care much at all about 16:9 - the majority shoot 3:2 or 4:3, unless they are using their MF digital backs, and the vast majority of consumer digital cameras shoot 4:3 as the default. About the only time any of them use 16:9 is for video.

I have 42 digital cameras ranging from professional Canon, Nikon and Olympus models to prosumer and consumer models representing Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sigma, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Casio, Epson, Meade, Kodak, Hewlett-Packard, Leica, and even a Nokia 808 41 mp phone camera. Guess what? Not a single one of them shoot 16:9 as a default.

Considering the fact that there are thousands of PTE users and only about 66 are represented on Slideshow Club and only a few dozen frequent the forum here except right around the time a new version is being released perhaps your assumptions might be a bit biased by your own experience?

Best regards,

Lin