WnSoft Forums

Slide Styles organisation help

Xenofex2

Sorry, I guess a basic question on Slide Styles, albeit with an administration & organisational theme.

I have just re-read a recent question on the Forum as to where styles are stored so ‘best practice’ dictates that I need to create a new folder specifically to store free or bought styles that I have downloaded. I’m okay with that.

Relevant to my question though is that I have also just re-watched Lin Evans tutorial on ‘Styles’ to remind me how to import once downloaded. On screen images of this tutorial and it looks like Lin has SEVEN categories, but then comparing to my P2E 8.0.17 program, I have FIVE categories – Basic / Borders / Captions / Experimental / Image. Interestingly I happen to have an old page saved of, I think, a P2E Manual (printed Sept 2015), that shows two more categories than mine, My Style / & User Styles being the extra two.

So can I create new categories to store new styles within? (I don’t currently have ‘My Styles’ or ‘User Styles’). Away from P2E I am in the process of scanning old paperwork saved, and here I can create folders and sub folders to save, so can I within P2E?

How then do others organise style slides? And then how do you know what each can do?

Categories are created by the author of the Style and not the User.

The user can Move the Style to a category created during the Move.

I have been "begging" Igor to build in a section where the author can write a description of the Style; how many images etc.

DG

P.S. to create a Category simply type its name into the Category box when creating or moving a Style.

Hi Xenofex2

When you have the slide style window open in v9, try right-clicking in the different areas (Category tabs, slide style names, Tools button etc).

This gives you some idea of the different options available to you to organise and rename the styles and categories.

Be aware though that you can't make these kinds of changes to the default categories which you mentioned, as these are protected.

Regards

wideangle

Xenofex,

You can already ADD/RENAME Categories.

1. You can ADD a Category by Creating a Style and Typing the Name of the New Category into the Category Box.

2. You can ADD a Category by using the (Right Click) "CHANGE STYLE CATEGORY" function and Type the name of the New Category into the box.

3. You can RENAME a Category by right clicking on it and using the "RENAME CATEGORY" function

http://docs.picturestoexe.com/en/slide-styles/main

DG

19 hours ago, davegee said:

Categories are created by the author of the Style and not the User.

The user can Move the Style to a category created during the Move.

I have been "begging" Igor to build in a section where the author can write a description of the Style; how many images etc.

DG

P.S. to create a Category simply type its name into the Category box when creating or moving a Style.

Greetings Dave,

Speaking of Style Organization, is it possible to change the default location of Styles, Templates and Transitions to a different folder without causing problems? I would prefer to have these subfolders located where I have the PTE program installed. It looks like I can change the default location in Preferences for both V8 and V9, but I'd like to know for sure before I tamper with the current settings.

Also, Dave, is there a way to 'edit' a Style? For example, your 'Window with border in mask' has a blue background. I prefer a black border (default) but I have to change it by going into Slide Options each time I use it. I don't see any way of saving that 'edited' Style. Is there a way to save it?

Thanks... Gary

1. You can go to Settings / Preferences / Templates (V9) and change the Default Location for Custom Styles and Transitions to wherever you want. I would not put them on a USB drive which is likely to be removed at any time. I also have my Exported Styles and Transitions Folders in the same location. Creating the New Default Folders will move all Styles and Transitions to those Folders.

2. Simply remove the BG from the slide produced by the Style and Create it again from the Tools Menu in exactly the same Category etc and it will overwrite the original and ask for permission to do so. Alternatively change the Category Name etc to Create a Variant.

DG

3 hours ago, davegee said:

2. Simply remove the BG from the slide produced by the Style and Create it again from the Tools Menu in exactly the same Category etc and it will overwrite the original and ask for permission to do so. Alternatively change the Category Name etc to Create a Variant.

DG

Dave, You lost me when you said ' Create it again from the Tools Menu in exactly the same Category'. I assume you mean to use 'Tools' in the Slide Styles menu but I don't see how.

Gary

Apply the Style.

Remove the BG.

Click on Tools/Create in the Slide Styles box.

The settings - Name, Category etc should be as for the original - Mine.

Click OK - Overwrite the original.

Apply to another Image, or the same image again.

57 minutes ago, davegee said:

Apply the Style.

Remove the BG.

Click on Tools/Create in the Slide Styles box.

The settings - Name, Category etc should be as for the original - Mine.

Click OK - Overwrite the original.

Apply to another Image, or the same image again.

Dave... Funny, that is what I had done but I had not renamed it so I did not notice it was Created as 'My Style'. I renamed it and, bingo, it works. It did not seem that there was still a connection between the edited style that I just applied in O&A and then going back to Slide Styles and doing a Create. All of this is finally bringing me into the 'Styles' world.

Thanks for the help. Gary