WnSoft Forums

Microphone Advice Needed

mbskels

Hi,

Returning to P2Exe after several years. I am planning a project with voice-over which I have never done before so thought I would revue suitable microphones. Due to hand problems I also plan to use voice recognition software with the same microphone so have excluded recorders such as Zoom.

After a few days research I feel I am going round in circles and would appreciate some help.

I have concluded that a USB microphone is the best choice as it by-passes the sound card. Is that correct?

I have considerable background traffic noise in the room I plan to record in and wonder if I could suppress the background noise better with a Lavalier rather than say a cardioid microphone. Have no experience of either so welcome any comments.

I have listened to the Logitech H360 recording made available by Yachtsman1 in 2014 but think the background noise in my situation would be intrusive. Has hand-set technology moved on at all in the intervening years?

My budget is £50-£70.

Appreciate any advice or if subject already covered elsewhere a pointer to the post.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

HI Judy,

I've heard good things about Zoom microphones but I have no personal experience with them. I've tried a half dozen different types and brands over the years and I've found the Blue Snowball to be an excellent performer and priced right. Perhaps there is a Zoom model which is similar...

Best regards,

Lin

I would suggest that you need a directional microphone which will help cut down background noise better than an omnidirectional microphone. I'm guessing that most of the USB microphones would fall into the omnidirectional camp. I'm not sure that a lavalier microphone would do what you want.

Have you thought about using one of the better quality Beyerdynamic  headphones with attached microphone?

Examples are DT 290 mkII, DT 790 or the MMX 2

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets.html

Regards

John