WnSoft Forums

Depicting a Family Tree

Craig

Hello...has anyone used PTE to depict a family tree or a family history?  I think a creative PTE family tree visualization would be a terrific way of bringing old photos to life.  There was a short thread on this forum almost a decade ago about this topic and I wonder if anyone has come up with any new ideas or approaches since then.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

-Craig

Craig,

How would you do it?

It is possible to start with the "furthest back" relatives and their children and use Hyperlinks to move down the line.

Or, you could do it in the opposite direction and move up the line (and sideways).

You could do both and let the viewer choose the starting point.

The other option is to zoom and pan all over the screen and (perhaps) totally confuse the viewer.

It depends on whether you want to tell a story or make it totally interactive.

Lots of combinations - linking back is very important.

If you make it "generic" you could make a Style out of it which would allow the user to fill in the names? :)

DG

Thanks, Dave and smithrg!  Smithrg, I really the way you spun your photos into an engaging family history with photos, maps and text, and would love to do similar with my own family history if time ever allows!

As for your question, Dave, about whether I want to tell a story or make it totally interactive, I'm of two minds about this:  part of me wants to make it totally interactive so that viewers can navigate back and forth, but part of me wants to make it viewable as a video, since so many people these days may be viewing it on a mobile device or tablet.

Speaking of mobile devices, I view my family tree as an interactive fan chart on my phone using the KinsMap app, which provides absolutely amazing visualizations.  I think that making some kind of fan chart (similar to the KinsMap fan charts) with PTE would be the icing on the cake, and it would also suit PTE's horizontal format.

Thanks again.

-Craig

Craig,

This is something that I actually have had on my ‘to do’ list for some time. I guess I just need the inspiration and do have a look at the Forum from time to time to seek any ideas.

My thoughts though are not to depict the (current) family tree but more on the angle of life, say in the 40’s & 50’s that I can then interweave with a few family photos taken (on the old box camera) by my parents into a story. My thought process was that I would then be leaving behind for future generations actual stories and memories on what life was like.

As an example, this time last year I did actually put together a ‘Timeline’ audio visual after my mother-in-law passed away with the aim of showing it at the funeral. It only covered her first 20 years and only had a few family photos (that’s all there were), but I interspersed it with information on important events that had happened during that period, eg her brothers/sisters, front pages of papers the day she was born, some old adverts, and some facts. Incredible perhaps to read now but like, she was 6yrs old when women over 21yrs were given the vote, or, 6yrs old when the minimum age for marriage went up to 16years – it had been 14yrs for a boy and 12 years for a girl. Something I hoped would give it more appeal and show what life must have been like.

Okay it won’t win any prizes but there were a few tears shed by family watching it and like to think something left for the family to view in the years to come. to remember!

Hope that helps.

Still looking for my next inspiration.

George