WnSoft Forums

Suggestion: Extract audio from video file

goddi

Greetings,

I don't think many people realize that you can extract the audio from a video file unless someone points it out. Here is a suggestion to modify the Project Options/Audio tab so that it is clear that it can be done.

The suggestion is to add in a separate icon for extracting the audio, and the video formats will be displayed in the Open window. See below.

Gary

589e4f339e698_AudioOptions.jpg.5b3e024546d550f0edad4baa8eb5b2f8.jpg

Would you then handle the muting of the video or just be using PTE as a way of extracting audio from a video? The feature to "add" the audio of a video as an MP3 to the timeline isn't really designed for the express purpose of extracting the audio from the video file, even though it can be done, it's designed to replace the sound from a video with an MP3 version which can be edited in the timeline. But to make this work you have to also mute the video or you will have it playing simultaneously from the video and from the MP3. To make a stand-alone mp3 or wav of the audio from the video you would need to only add the video to your slideshow and no other sound. This is sort of a kludge way using PTE to create an MP3 or WAV file from your video though it can be done.

Best regards,

Lin 

9 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Would you then handle the muting of the video or just be using PTE as a way of extracting audio from a video? The feature to "add" the audio of a video as an MP3 to the timeline isn't really designed for the express purpose of extracting the audio from the video file, even though it can be done, it's designed to replace the sound from a video with an MP3 version which can be edited in the timeline. But to make this work you have to also mute the video or you will have it playing simultaneously from the video and from the MP3. To make a stand-alone mp3 or wav of the audio from the video you would need to only add the video to your slideshow and no other sound. This is sort of a kludge way using PTE to create an MP3 or WAV file from your video though it can be done.

Best regards,

Lin 

Greetings Lin,

My purpose of making this suggestion is that this feature is basically a 'hidden' feature. I found out about this some time ago, and then forgot where in the menus I could find it. I would use this to have the ability to adjust the volume of the video's audio, especially if I wanted to also have music playing in the background or for voiceovers. I only suggest that feature be more obvious. After the video's audio is extracted, the users can do whatever they want with it but it really gives more flexibility to be able to adjust all the video's audio while the video is playing. Yes, muting of videos can still be handled though the O&A menu, to avoid simultaneous playing of the video's audio.

Gary

There is no doubt that the audio part of PTE should be revised, sooner or later. Examples: (1) I regard it as a disadvantage that we cannot add FLAC audio to a PTE project. (2) PTE can play AAC audio, as AAC is the standard audio coding for MP4-videos. But you cannot add AAC audio directly into PTE. You have to put it into an MP4-container and make it an MP4-video with an empty video part. :rolleyes:

I agree with Goddi that to include the audio from a video is not well known.

A lot of people who use PTE do not look at the Forum or the documentation - Yes I know they should but they don't & this includes many established AV workers.

Currently you have to know to click on the little down arrow to be able to select Video Files when you add an Audio File.

Goddi's suggestion of adding an extra link at the top of the Audio Tab is a good one.

Jill

2 hours ago, davegee said:

I do not agree that people "don't realise" that it is there. It has been well documented on the Online Help since it became available. 

Anything which would make it easier would be an advantage some time in the future.

DG

Dave, Perhaps you can find it if you know what you are looking for. I have tried the Online Help with 'extract video audio' and nothing pertaining to this came up. I tried 'extract', got nothing relating to video. After I searched on 'Audio', I found (in a very long page of results):

"Adding the Audio of a Video Clip to an Audio Track

• The Audio of a Video Clip can be added to an Audio Track and the Envelope can then be applied to it. Add the Video Clip and then, in Objects and Animation/Properties Tab, Mute the Audio of the Video Clip.
  • To add the Audio of the Video Clip to a Track go to Project Options / Audio Tab and Add a Track and then Add Audio File.
  • In the bottom right corner of the browser change the “Audio Files” drop-down type to “Video Files” and navigate to your Video Clips Folder.
  • Select your Video Clip and click on OPEN.
  • Click OK in Project Options to see the Audio of the Video Clip in its Track.
  • Adjust the start of the Audio to coincide with the start of the Video Clip.
  • The envelope of the Audio of the Video Clip can then be adjusted as required in its Audio Track."

The problem, perhaps, is that he word 'extract' is not used. Before you 'add the audio of a video clip' to a track, you have to 'extract' it, in my mind. So that is what I would be looking for. And maybe, I wouldn't want to 'add' it to a track. I might just wanted to remove (extract) the audio from the video clip to be used elsewhere. So, yes, 'adding...' is documented in the Online Help, but, for me, hard to find if I am looking to 'extract' it. Maybe a few words, like 'extract' or 'remove' need to be added to the Online Help.

Thanks... Gary

PTE  does not extract the audio part of a video, it just uses it. You may apply a tool like XMedia Recode to extract a video's audio part. But as I said above: Extraction can be useless, as videos include audio parts (e.g. AAC) that PTE does not accept. So if you extract the audio part of a video, you also have to convert it to a format that PTE likes (MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV). :angry:   Isn't that confusing?

7 hours ago, jkb said:

.... A lot of people who use PTE do not look at the Forum or the documentation - Yes I know they should but they don't & this includes many established AV worker ...

There is another aspect: Some people regard it as a matter of course that the typical PTE user speaks English :wacko:. As far as I know, the majority of PTE users speaks French. And even for the small German group of PTE users that I care for, I can say: They neither use the English online documentation. Thus, in cases of PTE's shortcomings it may not be a good argument to refer to the online help. BTW I do not look at it either :)

Hi JT,

I think perhaps there is some confusion about what PTE can do with audio from a video. In version 9, If you simply mute the video of an audio and choose from the "Files of Type" two choices (audio files - video files) video files, then PTE simply uses the audio from the video to allow waveform manipulations on the timeline. On the other hand, if from the timeline you click on the three bars to elicit the menu, you have a choice of exporting the soundtrack to either a WAV or MP3 file. As long as the audio of a video plays correctly in PTE, the way I understand it is that PTE will indeed export the audio to a separate and stand-alone WAV or MP3 file.This audio is "copied" rather than extracted because the audio remains with the video file but it is available then as a separate stand-alone audio file.

Best regards,

Lin

16 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi JT,

I think perhaps there is some confusion about what PTE can do with audio from a video. In version 9, If you simply mute the video of an audio and choose from the "Files of Type" two choices (audio files - video files) video files, then PTE simply uses the audio from the video to allow waveform manipulations on the timeline. On the other hand, if from the timeline you click on the three bars to elicit the menu, you have a choice of exporting the soundtrack to either a WAV or MP3 file. As long as the audio of a video plays correctly in PTE, the way I understand it is that PTE will indeed export the audio to a separate and stand-alone WAV or MP3 file.This audio is "copied" rather than extracted because the audio remains with the video file but it is available then as a separate stand-alone audio file.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, If you have no audio files, such as MP3s, added in tracks, and you have a video clip in the Slides, when you click on the "three bars to elicit the menu", there is no soundtrack to export. I think you have to first 'export' the audio from video track, as I explained above. After the audio from the video is now in a track, the 'three bars' will allow you to export the entire soundtrack as a WAV or MP3, as a stand-alone audio file. This is how I see it.

Gary

Hi Gary,

That's what I was explaining in my earlier post to you about not really "extracting" the audio. Yes, the video must be added as an audio before there will be any audio from that video on the timeline and there must be audio on the timeline before it can be copied and exported as a WAV or MP3. But if you intend to export only the audio from a video, there must be no other audio tracks or they too will be included in the WAV or MP3.

Best regards,

Lin

7 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi JT, I think perhaps there is some confusion about what PTE can do with audio from a video. In version 9 ...

There isn't any confusion for me. I once proposed the feature for the export of the soundtrack (for testing it in an audio editor regarding clipping ...). If you really use PTE for extracting the audio part from a video, you typically do it in a separate project, and it is a conversion at the same time (say from AAC to MP3 or WAV). IMO this is a kind of workaround. For this action (and for a pure extraction) I would prefer a tool like XMedia Recode. All in all, this is not a big affair. On the other hand (repeating what I said twice above) it would be fine if PTE would accept more audio formats like AAC and FLAC. (BTW: I have ripped all my 1000+x CDs to FLAC).

8 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

That's what I was explaining in my earlier post to you about not really "extracting" the audio. Yes, the video must be added as an audio before there will be any audio from that video on the timeline and there must be audio on the timeline before it can be copied and exported as a WAV or MP3. But if you intend to export only the audio from a video, there must be no other audio tracks or they too will be included in the WAV or MP3.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, Yes,'extract' might not be the best work. Perhaps it should be called 'Copy audio of video to track'? That would signify that you would have to mute the embedded video audio, and allow the manipulation of the volume of the copied audio track. My primary purpose was to bring this function out into the open.

Just a thought, maybe this function would automatically mute the video track (but have choice to be unmuted). So a third choice could be 'Copy/mute audio of video to track'.

Gary

Unfortunately it's not possible to get the audio output until the video has be been added as an audio file. Of course it's possible to just create a temporary project, add the video, export the audio track to either a WAV or MP3 then erase the project.

Best regards,

Lin

On 14/02/2017 at 6:02 PM, Lin Evans said:

Unfortunately it's not possible to get the audio output until the video has be been added as an audio file. Of course it's possible to just create a temporary project, add the video, export the audio track to either a WAV or MP3 then erase the project.

Lin,

As long as there is at least 1 slide in the slide list (even a Blank)  you don't have to add the video file.

Just go to project options/Audio  Select Add audio file & the select video files from the dropdown.

You can then easily add the audio from the video without having to add the video itself.

Jill