WnSoft Forums

Path Name

jt49

In V9, when highlighting an image in the file list, I can see the full path name in the status bar, while highlighting a slide, I only see the file name. I would prefer to see the full path name in both cases (as it is done in V8).

Regards,
jt

12 minutes ago, jt49 said:

In V9, when highlighting an image in the file list, I can see the full path name in the status bar, while highlighting a slide, I only see the file name. I would prefer to see the full path name in both cases (as it is done in V8).

Regards,
jt

Greetings, I agree and I have also  suggested to add the filename’s extensions to ‘Slides’ and ‘Timetable’. We might have the same image or video file in different formats and this would  make it easier to distinguish between them.

Gary

44 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Igor, I was hoping that the file names' extension would also be added to the file names in the 'Slides' and 'Timetable'. I don't see that. Can that be implemented? It would help in quickly identifying files of different formats.

Gary

16 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

We prefer not display technical file extension in a name of a slide.

Igor, I could understand not showing extensions if we only used jpgs and avi files. But we don't and it  would be very useful to have the full file name displayed in the Slides and Timeline. Being able to see what format a file is by just looking at it in the Slides and Timeline would be very beneficial. More information is better then less, IMO.

Gary

1 hour ago, jkb said:

Gary, you should be able to tell what type the file is in the Filelist by it's Icon.

Once you have added it to the Slidelist/Timeline does it matter - you should know what you have added?

Jill

Jill, Yes, I could just look at the File List to see what is file's format. But sometimes, for example, I might have video clips or images in different formats with the same name (with different extensions). The only way to spot them in the Slides or Timeline is to click on each one to see the full file name in the Status bar. Too much clicking around and and having to scroll around the File List to find them. Why not just give the full filename everywhere? If you have the full filename in the File List, why not have it in the Slides and Timeline, to be consistent?

Also, speaking of consistency, if you click on the small triangle next to the Slides and Timeline tabs, you get all the images without the extension. So you have to click on each image, then look in the Status bar to see what the format is for each file. (not helpful)

However, if you click on the small triangle just below and next to the 'Help' (Full Screen View of File List), you get the filenames with the extensions. But you can't do any rearranging of files. You can only add files that go only to the end of the slide show (not helpful).

Sure I know what I added when I added the file. But, as you are creating the show, it would be much easier to have all the information about the added file as you look in the Slides or Timeline. Seeing the extension (format) of each file in Slides or Timeline, as you are working on the project, would make the process much easier. As I said before, better to have more info, than less. I understand Igor does not agree, but as a user, it really would be helpful.

Gary

Gary, surely it is the actual image that matters not what type of file it is. If you have the same file name with different extensions then you must have created them yourself? So why not give them a different name when you create them.

Having the same name with different types is bound to lead to confusion.

The full screen view of slides works as a light box, you can see all of your images and rearrange them easily.  You can see which are video files and which are single images or PNG files by the way they display.

As I said before, once an image is in the slidelist it's type shouldn't matter

Jill

4 hours ago, jkb said:

Gary, surely it is the actual image that matters not what type of file it is. If you have the same file name with different extensions then you must have created them yourself? So why not give them a different name when you create them.

Having the same name with different types is bound to lead to confusion.

The full screen view of slides works as a light box, you can see all of your images and rearrange them easily.  You can see which are video files and which are single images or PNG files by the way they display.

As I said before, once an image is in the slidelist it's type shouldn't matter

Jill

Jill,

If, say, you want to add a video clip that has been processed into different formats, like MOV, AVI, MP4, etc., using the same video clip, each clip would have a different extension. However, they would all show up with the  same file name (with no extension). This would be confusion. Changing the file names would cause confusion and added time to name or  rename each clip. If people don't work with video clips, they might not have experienced this problem. There are many different video processing methods and software programs that output in different formats. I like to try these and test them in PTE. Being able to quickly see which format they are when they are in the Slides, is a real help. So the 'confusion' comes when you can not see the full filename with the extension. Same holds true for images. I see no sense in not providing the full filename.

The 'Full Screen View of File List' icon is the small triangle at the top just above the 'File name' title. Yes, it is like a light box. But you can not arrange your images there.You have to use the other small triangle next to the 'Slides' icon, at the  bottom, if you want to arrange the slides in this lightbox look.

I disagree when you say 'once an image is in the slidelist it's type shouldn't matter'.That is when it really starts to matter. :)

Gary

Full Screen View of Slides.jpg

7 hours ago, Tonton Bruno said:

Goddi, could you please explain us the artistical (or expressive) interest to put different vues with the same video clip in different formats in a PTE show ?
I see the interest for a technical test, but not for a "real" project.

May be I am missing something...

Greetings Tonton,

I do it to test what the results would be using different formats, with different bit rates from different programs used to trim, stabilize and enhance video clips. It is not to have different formats of the same video clip in the final or 'real' project. But I want to see the differences and which serves to be the better result. If the full file name with its extension is shown, it would  help to distinguish the different results that are in different formats. This could also hold for images. Having the full file name with extensions just helps to spot which is which instantly, instead of  having to click on each one, one by one. Less confusion. More info, better.

It is sort of  like what  Windows does. Windows' default is to hide the extensions of files. I think it is silly to do that. If the extension is shown in the File List, and other places in PTE, then be consistent and show it in all places.

Gary