WnSoft Forums

Wedding AV's - How Long?

Barry Beckham

Question

From a viewers point of view, say your Niece, Granddaughter or acquaintance has a wedding AV available, what is a reasonable length in minutes for you to sit through? 

I would appreciate your views on this please. It will likely vary depending on the viewers relationship with the Bride and Groom, but what I want is a consensus mean figure

A long time ago a couple I knew decided to renew their wedding vows after wards we were subjected to over 3 hours VHS tapes of the ceremony and following reception!

For anyone I would suggest an absolute maximum of 15 mins of highlights no more. Bride & Groom plus parents excepted of course.

John

Depends on the quality of the recorded video of course. I have seen videos that ran for well over an hour and I reckon that most viewers would just stop watching after about 15 minutes.  If you make PTE slide shows of the weddings you have shot, pick out the best bits, avoid over-use of transitions etc and then limit the length of the final video to no more than 20 minutes.

Ron.

For the Bride and Groom (and maybe Mums and Dads) it has to be 20 minutes minimum and I would probably not do an edited version for lesser relatives and friends but if I did it would be 10 minutes max., or as Ronnie says assuming that the quality of the video and the editing are up to it. When I have done these I usually start with some old photos from childhood etc. of the Bride and Groom, which tends to hold the interest and pad it out a bit.

Mickp

No matter how good the presentation is, 20 minutes is probably the maximum length for the viewers to remain interested and for a 20 minute show it must be really good. The longest pte show I have done was 12 minutes and that was maybe a bit too long although it was a commision for someone else.

Can I drag you back to the question, which was from a viewers point of view. Forget your own likes and dislikes,  or what you would do or how the quality affects how long you would view. 

Assume the presentation is from a pro wedding photographer and assume the images are of the quality you would expect . Just think of a still image presentation of a wedding of your niece.

What would be the optimum time that you would be prepared to sit and watch. 

Thanks for the responses. I had settled on 15 minutes myself, but wanted some independant views, because unless you listen to other views, how would you know yours is right? There's a word for that !! Oh yes, I know Free Speech. :D

If a wedding template was made at 15 minutes, then an impressive slide show could be created in less than 30 minutes (a guess) and if a few more minutes were needed, then Slide Styles could easily add those minutes.

10 minutes.

I create a series of several 8-15 min. shows, typically 6 total, accessed via a menu. This can be for weddings or various events. My style is documentary.  I find that clients love this style and duration and find myself going back and enjoying them as well.