WnSoft Forums

Arras 100

This is to big for the slideshow club, so I'll include it here if I may.

I was privileged to be able to attend the 100th Anniversary Service of the Battles of Arras and Vimy during WW1. There was a service in the Scottish War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle followed by the band of HM Royal Marines and the Royal British Legion ' Beating Retreat ' on the Esplanade. Despite being bitterly cold there was a good attendance of old comrades and public. I do hope you see something you may like. 

Thanks to Lin Evans for talking me thro the sound issues.

Hi Andrew,

Very nice presentation - I love to see the old castle architecture and am always amazed at the sound of the pipes - something we rarely get a chance to see an hear on this side of the pond!  Thanks for the chance to have a glimpse of the past...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Trailertrash

I really enjoyed your slideshow. Particularly as my Great Uncle Richard Musgrave M.M. was killed at the battle of Arras in 1917 while fighting with the 7th Battalion Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment). Although he has no known grave he is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial.

Edinburgh Castle is a remarkable setting and a place I know well as I live not to far away in the Scottish Borders.

Gogs

Really liked your show very moving. May I make a couple of suggestions that I think would make it even better.

1. Near the beginning there is a shot (at 1.04) of the plaque and flags, I would suggest that it may be even more effective by swapping it with the ending shot of the (days) programme. For me it would set the scene by having the image of the programme at the beginning telling the viewer what is going to happen and leaving us with the plaque and flags as the final poignant fade out.

2. Have you considered centering the video on the screen instead of the bottom right corner? I feel that this would better hide the out of focus backgrounds.

Regards

John

21 hours ago, landsberger said:

Really liked your show very moving. May I make a couple of suggestions that I think would make it even better.

1. Near the beginning there is a shot (at 1.04) of the plaque and flags, I would suggest that it may be even effective by swapping it with the ending shot of the (days) programme. For me it would set the scene by having the image of the programme at the beginning telling the viewer what is going to happen and leaving us with the plaque and flags as the final poignant fade out.

Great idea John. Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it. It makes perfect sense. :)

21 hours ago, landsberger said:

2. Have you considered centering the video on the screen instead of the bottom right corner? I feel that this would better hide the out of focus backgrounds.

Regards

John

Again John, another very relevant pointer. It always amazes me how come I didn't see that at the time. Every days a school day. Thank you so much for the help.

Andrew.

2 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Great idea John. Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it. It makes perfect sense. :)

Again John, another very relevant pointer. It always amazes me how come I didn't see that at the time. Every days a school day. Thank you so much for the help.

Andrew.

My pleasure Andrew.

I always tell people who are making an AV to walk away from it for about a week, then look at it again with fresh eyes.

It's amazing what that break can do for the creative genius inside us. 

John