WnSoft Forums

Colour Correction Settings

davegee

Igor,

If I adjust settings for an "Initial KF" in O&A I can adjust Pan, Zoom, Rotate etc and Colour Correction (Levels, Brightness, Saturation etc).

Now, if I "Add Keyframe" and tick on the various tick boxes the settings of KF can be shown to make adjustments if required and are the settings made in KF1.

However, the KF1 settings for Colour Correction are not transferred from KF1 to the Added Keyframe and when the Colour Correction Tick Box is ticked the Defaults are applied i.e. no correction.

Perhaps I have missed something?

DG

I confirm this result.  The initial parameters of the color setting are not transferred to the new key frame whilst all other parameters are.

Jeff

Hi Guys,

I'm a little confused. If I set the initial keyframe to sepia, or coloration, etc., for example, then create a new keyframe without a checkmark next to "coloration" the sepia is preserved in the second and subsequent keyframes. However if the "coloration" box is checked, the setting is not preserved... This on my Win XP... Is that the problem?

Best regards,

Lin

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Tonton Bruno said:

In fact this parameter is considered as a modifier, and reacts as the others modifiers.

It is the same thing for the animation speed.

Thanks for this reply. It makes sense.

Dave,

That's correct behaviour of PTE.

- If you need to inherit color filters for a new keyframe, simply not set a checkbox.

- Colors filters are case of modifiers. Adding of a new keyframe don't copy modifiers/filters from previous keyframe.

- If you adjusted color filters in a previous keyframe, setting of a checkbox "Color correction" (without adding any filters) allows to reset all color filters for current keyframe.

22 hours ago, Igor Kokarev said:

That's correct behaviour of PTE ...  Colors filters are case of modifiers ....

Correctness means here "correctness by definition". But is it a good definition to regard color filters as modifiers. I don't think so!

What is a key frame? Key frames provide the possibility to define state information for animated objects. We can fix size, position, blur, and other state parameters of an object at a particular point of time. On times between key frames the state parameters of the animated object are evaluated via some kind of interpolation.

What is a modifier (or what should a modifier be)? Modifiers allow us to have influence on the interpolation process mentioned above, on the change of the state parameters from one key frame to another one. Example: We define the speed profile with which the blur changes between two key frames.

With these definitions in mind I cannot accept a color filter like Sepia as a modifier. A modifier has to refer to a state parameter that is to be changed between key frames. So for me the color filter must be regarded as a state parameter similar to Blur, Zoom, or Pan, and we have Animation Speed as a corresponding modifier.  

The original poster has been correct to point out his observation in this thread. Color correction is a state parameter that shows an inconsistent behavior when creating new key frames. This is not a serious problem. But I do not accept the "modifier definition". It is odd!

jt49,

It is a fact that, for parameters Pan Zoom, Rotate, Opacity and Blur, the original values of the parameter at KF1 are always inherited when a new KF,  (e.g. KF2)  is inserted, whether the parameter box is ticked or not. Once ticked, the inherited value becomes visible and can be changed or left unaltered. If a change is required in the parameter value at KF2, the parameter "tick" box must be ticked and new values applied.  This ALSO applies to Color Correct parameters.  Any initial values applied to KF1, will be inherited, if KF2 is inserted.  The difference is that when the parameter box is ticked, all color values revert to their default values. In my opinion, whether this is the correct behaviour is less important than making sure that the difference between color correction actions and the other adjustment parameters are understood. 

I accept that this behaviour is the intended one according to Igor.  Whether it is a desirable one is another matter.  But classing color correction as a "modifier" does not seem to me to be correct because modifiers can only be applied to an initial KF to alter the behavior between this KF and the next. So whether the new KF inherits the value of the preceding KF, is irrelevant.  But is that important?  The most important issue is to ensure that the user understands how the various parameter controls work and are applied.

Jeff

Jeff,

It's fine that we agree that color filters are not to be regarded as modifiers :)

Now you ask if the given behavior is to be regarded as an important problem. Of course, it isn't. It is just an inconsistency :rolleyes: