WnSoft Forums

Audio File from Video Clip-size?

goddi

Greetings,

I have trimmed and converted an MOV video clip using PTE Convert. This video clip was trimmed and converted from a 34 second length to about a 16 second length. But I want to use the entire audio portion of the original length of the MOV clip.

Normally, I would go through the process of Project Options/Add Audio File/select the video and add it to an audio track. But I notice that I can accomplish this my just dragging down the MOV file into an audio track. So, is this easy way (just dragging down the video clip) of adding the audio of a video clip a valid method?

Another Question: The original size of the MOV clip is about 41 Mbs. If I drag down the MOV clip into the Timeline, is it adding the full 41 Mbs, or only the size related to the audio portion? If I am using only the PTE trimmed/converted video file of 16 seconds, can I delete from MOV clip from my PC and still use the audio portion of that MOV clip?

(Yes, I can also Convert the full 34 second MOV to AVI, and that clip then becomes 51 Mbs. I can drag that one down to the Timeline, too, so the clip used is not H.264. Same questions).

If I use an external program to extract the full audio length of 34 seconds from the MOV video clip, the size of the MP3 is 1.3 Mbs, will I actually be saving the difference between the original 41 Mbs of the MOV and the 1.3 Mbs of the MP3?

Gary

Greetings Tonton,

I just did a test with your suggestions to 'convert tracks to Mp3' and 'not include the video clips in your exe' for the 26 video clips I have in this show.

Interesting results. The size of the exe dropped from 360 Mbs to 172 Mbs. Quite dramatic.

But I don't understand what is going on. If the video are 'not included', what is happening? If the show plays just fine with the video clips being 'excluded', why is this not the default, to reduce file size? Why/when would you want the video clips to be 'included'?

When I 'convert tracks to MP3', some of the audio files are MP4 (audio from videos) and MP3s. I don't see any changes made anywhere. So what is going on? If this reduces the final size of the project, why is this not the default?

Great discovery but I don't understand why the file size decreased.

Thanks.... Gary

First about the audio files.

All the audio files are read and mixed by PTE and PTE generates a resulting mp3 wich is embeded in the exe file.

No matter the original file was in wav, ogg, mp3, mp4 or other exotic audio format. All the audio files that PTE is able to read are mixed and a resulting mp3 file is generated.

Under PTE 9 it is even possible to save this mp3 file separetely.

Audio.jpg

And now about the video files.

For each video, you check the option "do not include file to exe" and then you generate a "Safe Executable file for Internet".

After that you insert manually all the needed video files in the zipped folder.

This will allow you to install your project in other PCs.

Project_0.jpg.41f0e28e0ad1d1b81400aca97706ee69.jpg

Notice that th total zipped file is now 559 Mo, and the ptshow itself is only 53 Mo.

Project_1.jpg.e9d535685d0d55c1fe1de62f3dda3d43.jpg

27 minutes ago, Tonton Bruno said:

And now about the video files.

For each video, you check the option "do not include file to exe" and then you generate a "Safe Executable file for Internet".

After that you insert manually all the needed video files in the zipped folder.

This will allow you to install your project in other PCs.

Project_0.jpg.41f0e28e0ad1d1b81400aca97706ee69.jpg

Notice that th total zipped file is now 559 Mo, and the ptshow itself is only 53 Mo.

Project_1.jpg.e9d535685d0d55c1fe1de62f3dda3d43.jpg

Greetings Tonton,

In your  example, I don't see any advantage of just separating out the video files.You still have a large zip file of the video files. That does not help when, for example, you want to post the show in the Slideshowclub site.

But, more importantly, when I Published (without using the Safe Executable process) my exe with 'do not include file to exe', 'excluding all of the 26 video clips, the reduced sized exe STILL played with all the video clips.

What's going on with that???? How can they be 'excluded' but still play in the  exe????

Gary

46 minutes ago, Tonton Bruno said:

First about the audio files.

All the audio files are read and mixed by PTE and PTE generates a resulting mp3 wich is embeded in the exe file.

No matter the original file was in wav, ogg, mp3, mp4 or other exotic audio format. All the audio files that PTE is able to read are mixed and a resulting mp3 file is generated.

Under PTE 9 it is even possible to save this mp3 file separetely.

Greetings Tonton,

What is the advantage of 'Convert tracks to MP3 for exe'? If this makes the show smaller, why not have it as the default? If there is no other difference in the final exe file, what  is the advantage of not  doing it??? Seems that if you used the audio from a video clip, there should be no increase in the size of the exe. So what effect does the 'Convert tracks (MP3 and MP4 or AVIs tracks) to MP3 do???

Gary

44 minutes ago, goddi said:

Gary, as long as the video files are in the same folder as the exe it will play. If you moved just the exe to another computer, then the video would would not be available. 

The advantage is that the exe file size is much smaller. You then have the individual video files which could be uploaded separately, keeping the file sizes small.

A smaller exe file will start faster and possibly play better on a slower computer.

With the MP3 file. If you only had one track with a single or several MP3 files then there is no advantage in converting the output to a single MP3. But with several tracks, or mixed format files then converting reduces the file size of the exe.

Jill

Greetings Jill and Tonton and all,

Ok... I copied to my Desktop the show where I had applied the "do not include file to exe" to each of my video clips. I was surprised that the video clips still played. I was to aware that an exe could still find and play video clips that are outside the exe file. I then played the show on another computer and I got the error messages, due to the missing video clips. Interesting.

So, for my purposes, using the " do not include file to exe" feature does not help me at all when I want to create as small an exe as possible, with all the files still within the exe (such as posting on the Slideshowclub).

But I will try out  the 'convert tracks to MP3' to see that that will me a difference, but  I don't expect too much from that.

Thanks for the clarification.

But some of my questions in my original posting have not bee addresses, such as just dragging  down a video clip to the Slides/Timeline instead of going through the Project Options/Add Audio File/select the video and add it to an audio track. Works just the same?

If I use an external program to extract the full audio length of 34 seconds from a video clip, the size of the MP3 is 1.3 Mbs (added to the Tracks), will I actually be saving the difference between the original 41 Mbs of the MOV and the 1.3 Mbs of the MP3, or  will I still have the 41 Mbs included in the final show's size?

The original size of the video clip is 41 Mbs. If I drag down the video clip into the Timeline, is it adding the full 41 Mbs, or only the size related to the audio portion? If I am using only the PTE trimmed/converted section of the video file of 16 seconds, can I delete from video clip from my PC and will the audio portion of that video clip still play if I 'convert tracks to MP3'?

Gary

Greetings All,

I did a little test to answer my question:

I created a short show with only one video clip. The size of the show was 81,692 KB.

I then I Trimmed/Converted the one video clip to a 5 second clip. The size of the show dropped down to 15,070 KB, as expected.

I then add the audio of the full video clip to the Track. The size increased to 86,389 KB.

Then, to this last version with the increase size of 86,389 KB, I 'Convert(ed) tracks to MP3 for exe'. The size dropped down to 11,460 KB.

So I conclude that 'Converting tracks to MP3 for exe' is a good way to reduce the size of shows with many video clips.

I did a similar test on a large show with many video clips. The show's size was 444,579 KB. When I 'Convert(ed) tracks to MP3 for exe', the size dropped to 404,563 KB.

My last question is, why would anyone not 'Convert tracks to MP3 for exe'? Is there an advantage for not doing it?

Gary

Size test.jpg