WnSoft Forums

Flickr and Videos

As many may already know, Flickr has become well known as a great host for our images and I have used it for quite some time now. I purchased a low cost account a while back, but never considered putting videos up as well as still images.

I have now done so and it works great. The videos are HD videos created at 60p to ensure great performance. I have uploaded a few of my recent slide shows that I have placed in an album called Audio Visual

I has discovered one small issue. All our slide shows start with a blank and Flickr shows the first image in the video/AV as a thumbnail to potential viewers. Unlike YouTube it does not allow us to select an image for display. (if it does I haven't found it yet) Well, looking at a black oblong isn't very inspiring. So I recreated the videos, which was a quick process with the project file and added an image in the first second of the sequence, using the objects and animation screen and a couple of keyframes.  As a viewer starts the video, that image will be removed and the audio visual will start normally.

Another way to get PTE out there

Maybe not so useful after all

I watched a minute of each of the slide shows I posted and never thought to go through them till the end as I knew they were all complete and working shows. It appears videos are limited to 2.59 seconds, which rather spoils the whole idea :(

49 minutes ago, Barry Beckham said:

I watched a minute of each of the slide shows I posted and never thought to go through them till the end as I knew they were all complete and working shows. It appears videos are limited to 2.59 seconds, which rather spoils the whole idea :(

Greetings Barry,

I could not find any limitations on the file size. Can you tell us the file size limitations or total upload limits?

Gary

5 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Greetings Barry,

I tried what you suggested to put a still image (or title slide) as the first image, instead of the black blank slide. I figured out that it has to be a 'quick' transition, not a dissolve, or else you still get an initial black beginning. And the short length of the video is bummer, too. But then I thought it can be downloaded and assume it would still download the entire show if it is more than the 3 minutes. Not sure yet if this possible. But if you try to download from Flickr, you have to 'sign in' and that, too, is something I'd not want viewer to have to do. So back to the Slideshowclub, waiting for Igor to fix the max size upload restrictions. :(

So it seems good for single images, but not for videos.....

Gary

Denisb

Thanks for posting the link, it never occurred to me that there would a 3:00 restriction in this day and age :mellow:

Igor

Sorry to admit that I haven't really thought too much about a Html 5. Most of my storage is on Mediafire so my web space is limited, but the plus is it doesn't cost a fortune either

Gary

Perhaps in the fullness of time Flickr will relax that 3:00 length. Either that or we have to make a special version of our slideshow for Flickr and there's no way I will be doing that. There are too many AV rules anyway :rolleyes:

I just wrote the above and checked my emails and the following came in, so who knows, we may get some changes to how video is treated with the new owners of Flickr

If you haven’t heard, Yahoo plans to sell its operating business, including Flickr, to Verizon Communications Inc. We anticipate the completion of the transaction to occur in June 2017. Upon the completion of this proposed transaction, Yahoo products and services, including Flickr, will be provided by a new Verizon-owned company called Yahoo Holdings, Inc.

In connection with this proposed transaction, Yahoo is updating its Terms of Service. You can review the changes by visiting our Terms of Service

These updated terms will automatically be effective on June 8, 2017, unless you cancel your Yahoo account before then.

That’s it! We look forward to continuing to deliver your favorite products and services.